PDA

View Full Version : 26 hp Intek Extended Life Series hard starting

Gator610
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I have a Briggs & Stratton 26 hp Intek Extended Life Series, Mod: 44P777, Type: 0115E1, Code 070622YG with 561.8 hrs on a Scag Tiger Cub mower.
The problem Iím having is that it has become very hard to start in the morning. It backfires out the exhaust and carburetor when I try to start it. However when I get it running it will start OK the rest of the day but sometime stills backfires when starting. The backfires are not real loud but you do get some fire coming out. I replaced the spark plugs with NGKís but it did not really help.
One other thing, the starter relay is in poor condition and is not working well and I have one on order. Things I have replaced spark plugs and air cleaner.
The company I bought the Scag new from has gone out of business and the only place that services Scags are miles away.
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on the repair.
Thanks

Restrorob
11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
First, You don't have to have a Scag dealer to repair a Briggs engine problem. Any Briggs dealer can take care of you.

Make sure the choke butterfly is closing FULLY when applied, The cable could have slipped in the hold-down.

If that's not the case you may want to check/adjust the valves as below;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Briggs/Intek%20Twin/BriggsIntekTwinValveAdjust.jpg

Gator610
11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks Restrorob for response
I will check the valve adjustment, that's a good idea and I'll also check choke cable adjustment too. The more I think about I bet your right the valves adjustments have closed up.

cannondale23
11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
keep us posted and please post outcome/resolution, I have the same engine / type # w/ less hours....I had it back fire once and I cleaned out the air filter and all is well...