PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR600 blower pull cord issues

coolbrze
11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Our Stihl BR600 blower pull cord is stuck, won't pull out... Any idea why & how do I fix this?

ed2hess
11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Just take if off the blower so you can see what has happened. .....

tamadrummer
11-05-2009, 08:10 PM
If that does not show you anything, you may have to adjust your valves.

When I have a hard time pull starting my 4-mix engines, I take them in and have them adjusted and then it is good to go for at least a few months.

ed2hess
11-05-2009, 10:09 PM
If that does not show you anything, you may have to adjust your valves.

When I have a hard time pull starting my 4-mix engines, I take them in and have them adjusted and then it is good to go for at least a few months.

May be past that point if he can't get the cord to come out doesn't that usually imply piston stuck?

Matlock Lawncare
11-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Have had the same problem with two of my Br600. Now both are sitting on a shelf all taken apart because of broken valves. Good luck, I sold my other two shortly after.

ed2hess
11-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Have had the same problem with two of my Br600. Now both are sitting on a shelf all taken apart because of broken valves. Good luck, I sold my other two shortly after.

Nobody believes me when I post that we are seeing tons of engines failures on that unit in our area. People on lawnsite just keep posting what a great blower....too bad $500 bucks down the drain.

topsites
11-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Pull the spark plug, then try it again.

Matlock Lawncare
11-07-2009, 12:50 AM
I know what your saying Hess, I posted about those pieces of **** in the past and got slammed. But have gotten PMed by a bunch of guys that agree with me. And Topsides no offense but taking out the spark plug on one of those machines would only serve you any good if you want to use the plug on something else that would actually run. LOL, I have wasted so much money on a machine that was supposed to have a warranty but when you call them on it they want to give you a % off of your next purchase, why would I buy any more %%%% that they want to not back up even though I had everything documented, I guess spending about 4 G's a year wasnt good enough for them, But Shindiawa loves that they made that decision. Sorry guys not on a rant or nothing just a loyal Stihl guy that was shown that loyalty means crap to them.

topsites
11-07-2009, 03:36 AM
And Topsides no offense but taking out the spark plug on one of those machines would only serve you any good if you want to use the plug on something else that would actually run. LOL, I have wasted so much money on a machine that was supposed to have a warranty but when you call them on it they want to give you a % off of your next purchase, why would I buy any more %%%% that they want to not back up even though I had everything documented, I guess spending about 4 G's a year wasnt good enough for them, But Shindiawa loves that they made that decision. Sorry guys not on a rant or nothing just a loyal Stihl guy that was shown that loyalty means crap to them.

The guy said it wasn't turning over, thank you now!

A Leaf Above
11-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Well my experient with the Br600 has been nothing but a good one ..I have had 2 of them for prolly around 2 years now and have had no issues at all ..As a matter of f act the only part i have changed on any of my Stihl equipment was a coil on one of my weedeaters ... So hopefully i didnt just jinx myself now ..Im actually going to buy the br600 magnum tomarrow since its only $439.00 at my local dealer .

Leaf Jockey
11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
These machines won't run forever without regular valve adjustments. It only takes ten or fifteen minutes yet there are probably hundreds of these units that never get checked.

Scott

ed2hess
11-09-2009, 10:48 PM
These machines won't run forever without regular valve adjustments. It only takes ten or fifteen minutes yet there are probably hundreds of these units that never get checked.

Scott

That might be why we see blowen engine? When you adjustment these what do you find on the clearance before you adjust...is it wide or close?

Leaf Jockey
11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Very wide if you let them go too long.

RonAyersMotorsports
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
If your having valve problems notify STIHL or your DEALER they have been doing FREE short block replacements with NEW engines on UNITS EVEN OUT OF WARRANTY. Great engines, no problems with new valves and seats.

ed2hess
11-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Great engines, no problems with new valves and seats.

I am sure that Stihl hopes that statment is true.....and for the record these 4-mix on the blowers are NOT great engines. The 2 stroke engines on the BR420 is a great engine.

unkownfl
11-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Very wide if you let them go too long.

Shouldn't bend the valve then.

Leaf Jockey
11-12-2009, 08:01 AM
I don't know for sure what happens but I've seen a few that had pieces broken off the cam followers. I wonder if when they get loose the cam slaps the follower and has some kind of effect on the valve. The only ones I've seen break were the ones that never had the valve service performed. That lesson costs about $230 for a new engine.

Scott

RonAyersMotorsports
11-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I am sure that Stihl hopes that statment is true.....and for the record these 4-mix on the blowers are NOT great engines. The 2 stroke engines on the BR420 is a great engine.

Every new engine has to work its kinks out. The new engines are great engines. And if valves were properly serviced on the older units. Just once a season or two, we really didn't see any valve issues out of those units. I got several Landscapers who are still using their first BR600 from four almost five seasons ago. New backplates, blower tubes, and straps. But still the same old engine going strong. And when we do see problems with the older units STIHL and strong dealer support was there to help our customers and keep them depending on our products.

rotti1968
11-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Shouldn't bend the valve then.

There are 2 issues with the valves, 1 when the new br 500 550 and 600 came out at anywhere from 100 or so hours the exhaust valve would fail break off at the stem. Stihl has since changed the material the exhaust valve is made of. This helped but there were still failures. The next was premature vale guide and seat failure, they would wear or move causing the valve to stick and or break and lock the unit up.
I have done many of these engines and Stihl has on the whole taken care of the customer either covering the repair completely or or paying for the parts and the customer paying the labor . This is based on age of unit , use,condition and how well the unit has been maintained.
the new br 600 mag is basically the same blower with a few changes, blower tube changes,fixing the fuel pick up issues by adding a dual pick up system . And a redesign on the engine, its the same engine but has been given new valves,seats guides etc . This engine is not going away and stihl is attempting to fix the issues that have been there from day one.
Oh and 1 final note on this unit and the other valved engines stihl has I can not stress this enough but you should be using a full synthetic or at the very least part synthetic mix oil at 50:1. It will prevent a lot of maintenance issues down the road, carbon build up,carb issues,valves sticking etc .

coolbrze
11-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Not sure what it was, when I took the pull cord housing off, it pulled fine so I put it back on & it's worked ever since...

RonAyersMotorsports
11-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Not sure what it was, when I took the pull cord housing off, it pulled fine so I put it back on & it's worked ever since...

You could of had some foreign material jammed between the coil and flywheel. Rare but it happens.

SLR
11-18-2009, 01:36 PM
There are 2 issues with the valves, 1 when the new br 500 550 and 600 came out at anywhere from 100 or so hours the exhaust valve would fail break off at the stem. Stihl has since changed the material the exhaust valve is made of. This helped but there were still failures. The next was premature vale guide and seat failure, they would wear or move causing the valve to stick and or break and lock the unit up.
I have done many of these engines and Stihl has on the whole taken care of the customer either covering the repair completely or or paying for the parts and the customer paying the labor . This is based on age of unit , use,condition and how well the unit has been maintained.
the new br 600 mag is basically the same blower with a few changes, blower tube changes,fixing the fuel pick up issues by adding a dual pick up system . And a redesign on the engine, its the same engine but has been given new valves,seats guides etc . This engine is not going away and stihl is attempting to fix the issues that have been there from day one.
Oh and 1 final note on this unit and the other valved engines stihl has I can not stress this enough but you should be using a full synthetic or at the very least part synthetic mix oil at 50:1. It will prevent a lot of maintenance issues down the road, carbon build up,carb issues,valves sticking etc .

The above is the long version of saying "stay the hell away from
little itty bit 4bangers.

RonAyersMotorsports
11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
The above is the long version of saying "stay the hell away from
little itty bit 4bangers.

Or saying STIHL has fixed the problem, while having little if any cost to the customer.

rotti1968
11-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Or saying STIHL has fixed the problem, while having little if any cost to the customer.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: yes that was the point i was trying to make.....

chainsaw-boy
11-21-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm still using my old BR320........its so old now that one of the service dealers says he has never seen one like it before. Never had a single problem :clapping: I don't know why anyone would want one of the new one's. Heck as far as I can remember in the last 15-20 years the only thing I've had to replace was two curved end, one extension, and one billow tube. Great piece, I love it!! Keep with the 2 cycle, don't go with that new stuff til' they fix the problems. BR420 all the way!! I can say I do have a stihl KM90R with the 4cycle stuff, and all I can say is; it runs, with no problems, but it is loud. Louder than some of my saws at full blow!

bec98x
11-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Just fixed a customer br600 that was 3+ years old under warranty. Valve broke and stuck into the piston.

No charge to the customer!!

You guys who have broken units should just take them in, be nice, and explain you have heard of a lot of problems and that you have heard Stihl will warranty these even out of warranty. If they give you crap ask for the Stihl Sales Rep's #.

rotti1968
11-22-2009, 02:15 AM
You guys who have broken units should just take them in, be nice, and explain you have heard of a lot of problems and that you have heard Stihl will warranty these even out of warranty. If they give you crap ask for the Stihl Sales Rep's #.

I agree 100% :clapping: