PDA

View Full Version : Need help Bidding this Job! !!!!

Hubbard's Landscape
11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Here is the contract that they sent me

Landscape Maintenance Agreement

______________________agrees to provide the services necessary to achieve and maintain high quality care and “curb appeal” as described below, for the landscaping of the six facilities owned by Reliable Storage in Kitsap County.

In exchange for these services, Reliable Storage agrees to pay a maximum of _________per month plus tax. This is an annually reviewed “at will” contract which may be ended by either party with 30 days notice.

• This service includes all treatments such as fertilizing, weed killers and other landscape chemicals.
• All sites will be mowed, edged, Weed whacked and reseeded as needed
• Curb appeal as defined by Reliable Storage will be improved and maintained at all sites
• All plant beds will be weeded cleaned and raked as needed
• All sidewalks and driveways will be kept free of debris as needed
• All building roofs and asphalt areas will be cleaned of moss and maintained as needed using moss killer and pressure washer.
• All branches will be trimmed and kept off security fences, buildings and driveways as needed
• All shrubbery, bushes plants and small trees will be pruned as needed with dead plants being removed and disposed of
• All gutters will be kept clean and free of debris at all times
• Leaves will be gathered and removed and flowers will be watered as needed
• All landscape debris will be removed and disposed of by contractor daily.
• Light snow removal and application of de-icer will be done as required
• Bark and gravel will be supplied and applied at $25 per yard at the request of the main office of Reliable Storage
• Contractor will provide a weekly work order form for the site manager to sign off on in order to ensure that the work is being completed as agreed
• Contractor agrees to a weekly schedule at each site rain or shine informing management of any schedule changes

________________________ ________________________

My Questions are

How do I bid this Job being November there is no snow and some of the language seems strange to me? I could be wrong? Should I amend Contract and if so how?

What would you Do?

There are six large properties to bid on so i really want the job but don't want it to cost me money.

Any suggestions are welcomed thanks.

I usually only do small residential jobs but wanted to try to expand here is a chance but now Im stuck LOL:hammerhead::hammerhead::confused:

GrazerZ
11-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I would do the following: Run Away!

Hubbard's Landscape
11-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I would do the following: Run Away!

Really Why?

AGLA
11-05-2009, 06:25 PM
The only way you should bid this is if you right your own contract that makes things quantifiable instead of "as needed". You need to have a definition of that from which you can show anyone clearly whether it was "needed" or not.

There are way too many moving targets in that and it will be awfully hard to get paid if they decide to say that more is or was needed than you expect or believe.

Short of that, I'd follow Grazerz's advice.

Hubbard's Landscape
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
That is what I was thinking, just wasnt sure I have never bid a large job such as this does any one have any ideas on how to amend it or hjow many times a year each piece should be done?

CapitalLawnGroup
11-05-2009, 07:17 PM
That contract is ridiculous! That sounds like a "honeydo" list. If you were hired by that company as their handy man or grounds keeper being paid an hourly wage by them as their employee, that would work. But I mean come on, they have that you would remove debris DAILY? A contract is an agreement, they need to agree on terms that benefit you. I would NOT go by their contract. You need to draw up your own contract. Unless you are a handyman a landscaper where I am from is not on the roof pressure washing, or having someone else sign off on their work every day, cleaning gutters...

I provide a service schedule stating this is how many times per year we will be mowing, this is how often shrubs will be trimmed, pesticides sprayed, fertilizer spread, trees pruned. Don't let them treat you like their employee, you are a Business owner, and a contractor, big difference.

AGLA
11-05-2009, 08:24 PM
It sounds like a property management company that porks subs and charges the HOAs good money and pocket the difference.

The lure of several big jobs gives these guys the ability to put the screws on little companies looking for what seems to be a big opportunity for growth.

GrazerZ
11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
These guys pretty well covered why I responded that way. Anytime you see the words "as needed" or is so broad, you need to be very suspicious that your in for a hosing. Writing your own specs and contract would be the only way. As well as be sure to include an hourly rate for anything extra. They need a handyman.

Hubbard's Landscape
11-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Thank you Thats What i thought But I am still a small company and wasnt sure how it worked. I sent him a "blank" Contract that outlined everything a lot better, and told him that I would have to use the contract that I had provided or one very similar or I would not be able to bid there job. Thank you all very much!!

Big Reggie Regg
11-12-2009, 11:32 PM
I think you should put your own contract together ..It sound's like to me that he is running your company with that bs contract..

hitechlm
11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
you have got to love the part that says "Bark and gravel will be supplied and applied at $25 per yard at the request of the main office of Reliable Storage". I wonder what they would do if you walked into there office and you told them that you needed a storage unit and that you were only going to give them x amount a month.

LB1234
11-18-2009, 09:08 PM
i love the opening that says they will pay a maximum of __________ dollars per month.

I would contact whoever drew this up and asks for specifics. For starters what the hell is "curb appeal"??????????????????????

my attorney would have a freakin field day with this.

lukemelo216
11-19-2009, 04:15 PM
wait you sent this guy back a blank contract? saying that it is your contract or no bid? did they contact you to submit a bid or did you contact them? I would have just put together your bid with your contract and submitted it. My guess is they would throw that blank contract you sent them away.