PDA

View Full Version : Everride Scorpion Traction problem.....HELP

BCR840
11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Equipment: Everride Scorpion (Stand on) 52" / 23hp. (32 hours)

Problem description: This mower has been running great and was very stable on hills, I took it to the shop to have a seal replaced on the RIGHT Hydro pump since it was leaking. Also I had to have the front caster arm replaced on the left side since it was welded crooked and caused the deck to be unlevel. All of this got fixed and got it back home. Before I went to cut again I leveled the deck and checked the tire pressure myself to make sure It was good. Now when I am cutting on hills I am having a problem with it holding or turning on the hill. Here is the scenario, While going up and down a hill there is no noticeable problems, while going across a hill with my left side on the high part of the hill it will begin to descend to the bottom of the hill and I cannot stop it with the back left tire spinning in reverse. If I go back the other way with my right side on the top of the hill it works great. If I am going straight down the hill and try to turn and go back up in the grass it works fine turning right but not that strong turning left. On flat ground the reverse is weaker on the left than on the right. I check my hoses and found one of the relief hoses on the right hydro crimped at a 90 degree angle so I adjusted it back straight. I took it back to the shop and them run a pressure test on the entire hydro system and according to HYDRO GEAR it passed with flying colors. The tech said he found the tire pressure off just a little in one back tire (should be 12psi and it was 8 psi) not sure what happened there. The left hydro just seems a little spongy, the tires still spin but are not as strong, neither pumps seem to be leaking and the hydro oil level is good. What should i be checking? Tire pressures, air in the lines, deck leveling, does the weight of the gas tank cause this? This thing worked fine in the beginning, just wondering what could have changed. Hydro Gear will not just replace pumps for no reason especially if the are reading better than average pressure.

Thanks Brian

Restrorob
11-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Brian,

Check ALL your hydro hose connections/fittings and make sure their tight,
One could be slightly loose and let air get sucked into the system (they may not leak oil).

The link below is a air bleed procedure you can give a try and see if it makes a difference;

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2224737&postcount=2

Just because your dealer says the pumps test fine doesn't mean you couldn't have a wheel motor problem, There is no bench test for wheel motors that the average dealer can perform. It requires a HIGH dollar machine which most dealer's will never invest in.

BCR840
11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Okay, I will check all connections...then I will follow the procedure to bleed the lines. Thanks I will report back.

BCR840
11-14-2009, 11:45 PM
All connections have checked out. I am wondering if it is due to difference in the weight of the gas tank on the good side. If I stand as far as I can on the left side it gets a little better. My problem is I am only 160lb's and cant put enough weight on it. I wonder if I could add weight to that side?

Two Seasons
11-15-2009, 12:12 AM
All connections have checked out. I am wondering if it is due to difference in the weight of the gas tank on the good side. If I stand as far as I can on the left side it gets a little better. My problem is I am only 160lb's and cant put enough weight on it. I wonder if I could add weight to that side?

Did you apply some pressure to all hydro connections?

I'm kinda of thinking you still have some air in the system and it needs to work itself out. How long (hours) have you run on it since the hydro system was serviced?

BCR840
12-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I know it's been a while on my update. I was in my garage one night standing on the mower, just pondering on what the problem could be. I looked at both my front caster arms and noticed there was a difference. The idiot technician that replaced the bent caster arm installed the new one upside down. They looked very similar when you glance at but there was huge difference. I removed it and put it back on correctly, pumped all tires equal, and leveled the deck AGAIN...i went out and tested it, Man it was like a brand new machine (even though it is). I will never take it to that dealer again.

Mickhippy
12-30-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd be telling the dealer what happened. Thats very poor for the tech to do that.

Tell dealer you cant trust them anymore and let them know how much of a problem it was and the drama it caused you. If your important to them they may offer you something to keep you, you never know.
Its like getting dumped by a customer without knowing why. I would at least like the opportunity to make things right first.
If nothing else, Im sure they will make sure any further repairs are done the correct way.

Toro 44
12-30-2009, 05:47 PM
I must not be that familiar with your machine, but how could the caster arm be installed upside down? Are you talking about the arm extending from the frame- the arm that the caster fork and bearings plug into?

BCR840
12-31-2009, 10:24 AM
I will be contacting the dealer about this. I already contacted Everride and they were a big help in finding me another local dealer and said they would be reviewing this particular dealer since I am not the first person this has happened to. As far as the caster arm...It is the arm that attaches to the frame. It can be installed either way according to the installation manual as long as both arms are installed the same. The arm is welded to the cylinder that the yoke slides into, but it is not welded directly in the center of the cylinder but closer to the bottom of it. So if you turn it over it would be a 2.5 inch difference in the height

Toro 44
12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
I understand now.

Wow. nice that it was such a simple fix for you.