PDA

View Full Version : Albany/Clifton Park/Glens Falls NY area...

mkwl
11-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi guys, I'm looking for some input here...

As I'm going through College here in Cobleskill, NY, I'm trying to decide whether or not it would make sense to relocate my business to the Capital District/north of the Capital District, primarily for two reasons; 1) The NNJ region is PACKED with LCO's of all sizes, 2) I'm sick of the "insane pace" of life in NJ, nasty people,etc... I like the Upstate NY atmosphere/climate and the somewhat more "laid back" pace of life.

So, I'm trying to determine whether or not there's really a good market for a high end landscape design/build/maintain firm in the Capital District/North or it.

Right now, I'm working on my BT of Landscape Contracting. I would like to have a company with approximately 40% design/build, 50% maintain, and 10% other (snow, irrigation, etc), primarily with higher end/larger residential clients and small high end commercial clients.

For those of you from this area- do you think there's a good opening for a company like this?

Who are larger/high end competing companies in this realm? I'm not trying to put anyone down by asking, but I'm looking for some input.

Thanks,
Matt

mkwl
11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
No one on here from the NY capital district?

TheKonz
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Well it looks like either they don't want to admit where they are or you have picked a prime location for business bc there is no competition.

mkwl
11-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Well it looks like either they don't want to admit where they are or you have picked a prime location for business bc there is no competition.

Yes, it would appear that way, hopefully the latter of the two!

Mike Fronczak
11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm from just west of Rochester, NYS is getting insane with the taxes (or fees), I now have to pay $ 50, for a "certificate of authority" to collect sales tax for them, then theres the new lisc. plates @ 25/pair or each (trailers), thats going to be another 3-400. The politicians don't get it, I was looking at the newspaper yesterday the govonor gets that the state is in SERIOUS trouble & cuts are needed, but the legislators are quoted as "theres got to be another way" type approch. My accountant said the taxation dept hired 40 more auditors that are the bigest jerks yet, there is now grey with them he said, black & white. The state government, workers, & politicians are so out of touch with whats really going on its unbelievable. Wait till we (our state) issues IOU's as Califonia did because we have no money, maybe that'll wake them up. Would I start a bussiness in this state, NO.
That Rant over & said the Albany market is different because all the politicians, support staff, etc live (or work/room) there.

mkwl
11-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm from just west of Rochester, NYS is getting insane with the taxes (or fees), I now have to pay $ 50, for a "certificate of authority" to collect sales tax for them, then theres the new lisc. plates @ 25/pair or each (trailers), thats going to be another 3-400. The politicians don't get it, I was looking at the newspaper yesterday the govonor gets that the state is in SERIOUS trouble & cuts are needed, but the legislators are quoted as "theres got to be another way" type approch. My accountant said the taxation dept hired 40 more auditors that are the bigest jerks yet, there is now grey with them he said, black & white. The state government, workers, & politicians are so out of touch with whats really going on its unbelievable. Wait till we (our state) issues IOU's as Califonia did because we have no money, maybe that'll wake them up. Would I start a bussiness in this state, NO.
That Rant over & said the Albany market is different because all the politicians, support staff, etc live (or work/room) there.

I hate to say it, but if you think NY is insane, NJ is 100 times worse!

Mike Fronczak
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I think every state is different, I've only lived here. My sister moved to NC, property taxes are supposed to be less (not why she moved there), she got a tax bill for property tax on her car. I assume that if the state can track it (registered) thats what they go by, so we (my wife & I) would be charged property tax on 4 trucks, 3 vans, trailblazer, 5 trailers, camper, wheel loader (90 K alone) & 2 boats. Double at least the value of our house, think our "property taxes would be less ?

Hare'sLawn&Leaf
11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I would say with the type of structure you want in your business you should move to Vermont. Specifically the upper valley, theres not a lot of competition, no dumb rules or hoops to jump through. Its just straight forward, easy going and theres plenty of work to go around. My two cents.

4 seasons lawn&land
11-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Stay away. It sucks around here...

just kidding. But honestly we could go without more competition. It's probably more than you've seen before...

mkwl
11-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Stay away. It sucks around here...

just kidding. But honestly we could go without more competition. It's probably more than you've seen before...

Dude- there is NOWHERE that has more different LCO's than northern NJ- trust me. If you do a yellowpages search you fin over 500 different companies in a 20 mile radius- I just did one for Clifton Park, and found 10 companies...:rolleyes:

mkwl
11-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I would say with the type of structure you want in your business you should move to Vermont. Specifically the upper valley, theres not a lot of competition, no dumb rules or hoops to jump through. Its just straight forward, easy going and theres plenty of work to go around. My two cents.

Okay- but is there really a demand for a HIGH END landscape firm in VT? Not to sound like an arse, just wondering?

Hare'sLawn&Leaf
11-12-2009, 06:16 PM
There is a demand for it. There are plenty and I mean plenty of high end neighborhoods in Vermont and the upper valley. The areas that I service is where all rich old folks come to build multi million dollar homes high in the hills and want expensive landscapes to match. Towns like Hanover, NH which house dartmouth college and the darthmouth hitchcock medical center is one place I can think of off hand. These people have money to burn and if you treat them right they will treat you right. There aren't many companies here that cover the whole spectrum and most companies don't make it here becuase its kind of expensive to live here, but its workin for me. Its not the backwoods redneck house every 5 miles kind of place that people make it out to be. Theres good money here

4 seasons lawn&land
11-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Dude- there is NOWHERE that has more different LCO's than northern NJ- trust me. If you do a yellowpages search you fin over 500 different companies in a 20 mile radius- I just did one for Clifton Park, and found 10 companies...:rolleyes:

compare that to population D.B.