PDA

View Full Version : Will Antifreeze kill Turf?

HenryB
11-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Wondering if diluted antifreeze 50/50 kill turf?

a plus bob
11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes it will. Ever see a car parked in a yd. and leak anti freeze and kill spots.

rwsawal04
11-06-2009, 10:34 PM
It most certainly will, also you if used careless!!!!

phasthound
11-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Regular anti-freeze can kill turf, humans, pets, wildlife.
There are safer products available. http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/

birdturd9726
11-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Wondering if diluted antifreeze 50/50 kill turf?

hahahaha i dont know if u can do that. Their worried about glacial runoff and all this crap. i dont no about using antifreeze. Probably a nice hefty fine. lol:hammerhead:

HenryB
11-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I was telling a friend what a pain in the a$$ it is cleaning out sprayers in the spring to avoid turf burn from antifreeze residue. He was sure diluted antifreeze would not kill turf. I think it will but I'm not about to try.

rwsawal04
11-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Anybody ever tried windshield wiper fluid in the winter?

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Look into RV antifreeze. I won't claim to have done any homework on it, but I know it's touted as being environmentally friendly.

indyturf
11-07-2009, 01:37 AM
I used wiper fluid last year in my pg's then just pumped it back into the empty jugs in the spring and used it in my truck!! ohhh and yes 50/50 anti freeze will kill turf!!

RigglePLC
11-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Right on, Indy. Also used wiper fluid in my PG. Not sure about its effect on turf--plan to reuse it. And yes regular anti-freeze will kill turf.

HenryB
11-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Maybe he meant RV antifreeze won't damage turf?

ted putnam
11-07-2009, 08:36 PM
We don't get much, if any snow here but we do get freezing weather. Here's how I winterize my pumps and it seems to be a simple, effective way. I shut the ball valve from my main intake. I turn the strainer body upside down so the bowl is sticking up. I take the bowl off and I fill the strainer body with RV antifreeze. I pull the rope on the motor without starting it. Just leave the on/off switch in the off position. As you pull the rope, the pump will draw in the antifreeze. Keep topping it off. I do this until I see red come into the tank or I have 1/2 to 3/4 gallon used. When I make my first fill in the Spring I make sure it's the full 300 gallons and spray it out over 3.5 acres or so. I figure if it's used for RV's it can't be bad for the environment. I mean, think about it. Do you really think they'd have something in the drinking water system of an RV if it were that bad? Talk about liability issues. I'm sure some will think I'm terrible for doing it this way but... that's how I do it.

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I just use a compressor to clear all hoses and then unbolt the motor and pump assembly and store it in a temperature controlled closet.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
11-08-2009, 02:35 AM
we use rv antifreeze. it is used for water lines in campers etc. biodegradable, jsut propylene glycol. works great and could be reused in need be

VLTS
11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree with Whoop, Use RV anti freeze full strength. We use it here if gets real cold. It will just turn to a slush. Then you can spray it out on a lawn when you need to get rid of it without damage.

grassman177
11-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I agree with Whoop, Use RV anti freeze full strength. We use it here if gets real cold. It will just turn to a slush. Then you can spray it out on a lawn when you need to get rid of it without damage.

wow, 8 posts in 3+ years. just an observation!

SpreadNSpray
11-10-2009, 10:54 PM
R.V. anti-freeze can damage or kill cool season turf. I'm not sure about warm season.

I still use strait R.V. anti-freeze for spray equipment. I just don't dispose of in turf.

ted putnam
11-10-2009, 11:21 PM
R.V. anti-freeze can damage or kill cool season turf. I'm not sure about warm season.

I still use strait R.V. anti-freeze for spray equipment. I just don't dispose of in turf.

I'm sure it could or would. I wouldn't mix it in a low volume situation and dispose of it on a lawn. However, when I do it I'm am getting rid of about 1/2gal concentrate in a 300gal fill. Never had a problem...

SpreadNSpray
11-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm sure it could or would. I wouldn't mix it in a low volume situation and dispose of it on a lawn. However, when I do it I'm am getting rid of about 1/2gal concentrate in a 300gal fill. Never had a problem...

I wouldn't think it would hurt anything diluted that much. I just like all my tanks, pumps and lines clean at the start of the season. That eliminates any ?? and I can sleep at night.