PDA

View Full Version : New Owner Experience - Exmark Lazer Z AS 52" / 28HP

lotsagrass
11-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Ok it's me again. The dealer dropped off my new baby today. In case you haven't seen my other postings, here's the quick details on what I bought.

2008 eXmark Lazer Z Advantage Series with 52" UltraCut deck and 28HP Kawasaki engine. It was a leftover, never used.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow if I have the chance to get it outside for better photos. For now, here are my first impressions if you're interested. Keep in mind, I'm not a professional lawn care guy. This is for home use and it's the first zero turn I've ever used...so keep that in mind ;)

First, I've seen various postings about bigger this, bigger that on the non-AS series Lazer Z's and for that matter, other brands. For example, the slightly bigger brother to my model has 16cc hydro pumps once you get to a certain engine size. I can't imagine needing any more power from the pumps or from the engine on this baby. It's strong! It'll pretty much pull a wheelie with the ag tires I have on the rear!...and it certainly will on hills, but of course you don't want to be doing that.

Now I'll list off various things me as a newcomer to a machine like this has on my mind after about 1.5 hours of use.

- Power! It's fast and pulls hills without slowing down. Puts my old rider to absolute shame! It spanks that Cub Cadet SLT 1550 rider's rear end!
- The Kawasaki 28HP engine is nice and quiet and like I said, has plenty of power.
- Hydro pumps and wheel motors are very quiet. I can barely hear them. I've seen various videos on youtube of some guy selling Lazer Z's (older units) and the hydro noise was loud and disturbing. I can barely here mine! :)
- I now know what people have discussed front brakes for zero turn mowers on here. 90% or so of what I mow is on hills. Going up is awesome. Going straight down is a touchy thing. It's fine if you go slow, but I have some bumps and the tires can break lose causing you to speed up. This is a little nerve-racking. I've been careful so far, trying to keep my distance from everything to give me some learning space. Going sideways is also interesting. Until I master the zero turn levers to keep it straight while going sideways on hills with bumps, I'll have to be extra careful. I'm not talking huge hills, but just big enough to cause a slide in a few places. I'm getting the hang of it though.
- I think a seat upgrade is in my future. The stock non-suspension seat can be rather bumpy. It doesn't help that the dealer had 20 lbs in the rear tires though!...LOL
- Dealer driver that delivered gave me an owners manual for a Metro. Huh? I have the electronic version from the web, but I'll try to get the correct manual from them. Geez.
- Gas tanks were nearly bone dry when I got it. They were stingy with gas I guess. I got some premium gas (93) and filled it most of the way up. Figured I'd give her a nice drink of the good stuff until she's broke in.
- I changed the oil after 2.5 hours since I don't think the oil has been changed since it was brought to the dealer about 1 year ago. I'll change it again at maybe 6 hours, with new filter too.
- The UltraCut 52" deck is a smooth operator. It cuts very well and even does a pretty good job of chopping up the leaves.
- Dealer had the anti-scalp wheels at the very top. I brought them down one notch, a happy medium for me. I've got some pretty uneven and bumpy areas so I don't want the blades hitting the ground. I'll keep an eye on it and move them down another notch if needed. I don't cut less than maybe 3" normally. Maybe higher....certainly in spring I will cut higher.

I guess that's it for now. Thanks for letting me ramble a little. I'm very happy with my purchase. I may have a few upgrades to the mower in the future but for now, I need to cool it with the spending before the wife gets too fussy...LOL Thanks to everyone posting and providing good info here. It helped me make a good decision.

Here's a picture of that wonderful Kawasaki 28 :)
And a little bit larger version of the photo HERE. (http://www.openbloom.com/photos/705332868_szPWe-X3.jpg)

http://www.openbloom.com/photos/705332868_szPWe-L.jpg

TONTAGE
11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
good luck with it.i actually stopped by my dealer today and he too had a '08 52" leftover $8500

Kutz Lawns
11-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Nice mower for a HO!

Don't worry about hydo noise, you'll have it soon, it's still brand new!

Then the deck noise will soon chime in too!

lotsagrass
11-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Here are the photos from this morning: http://www.openbloom.com/GEAR-Etc-1/eXmark/10233823_EAYVv#705657739_asYpv