PDA

View Full Version : Walker mower problems

Mahoney3223
11-06-2009, 10:51 PM
So thank you in advance to anyone who provides useful information.....I have a 26 efi walker. It seems when you engage the blades on the pto (not electric) the gearboxes rattle like no ones business. It also seems it isn't revving high enough even though the throttle stop is hitting the nut that is supposed to stop it at proper rpm. None of these problems started until my moron employees let leaves build up in the exhaust and set the #$#$#$# thing on fire on the muffler area. I do not know where the fire was because I was not there. I know there is wires in that area but they do not seem damaged. Any help is greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks again

DT Lawn Care
11-06-2009, 11:49 PM
You could be running on one cylinder. Start the mower up, and remove one plug wire, if it keeps running, put it back on and pull the other wire. If it keeps running, you're fine there.

If one does cause the engine to die, run a compression test if you have a tester. If not, take the plug out, and turn the engine over to see if it sparks. This will tell you whether it is coil or wiring related or not. If it sparks fine, you have compression problems, either piston, rings, or valves most likely.

If your cylinders are fine, I would check out the carb and fuel system, but my guess would be something in the cylinders. Keep us updated and good luck.

Restrorob
11-07-2009, 09:41 AM
It seems when you engage the blades on the pto (not electric) the gearboxes rattle like no ones business. It also seems it isn't revving high enough

Your post can be interpreted a couple ways,

The way I read it the engine is reeving to speed "throttle stop is hitting the nut" but the deck isn't and the gear-boxes rattle.

If that's the case and this is a front cut mower (no model numbers posted) check the drive shaft to T-box shear pin, Also make sure the shaft doesn't wobble around on the T-box input shaft. If it does both shafts may need to be replaced.

If I interpreted wrong and the engine isn't running correctly proceed as DT posted, But check this shear pin anyway.

Mahoney3223
11-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I checked out the motor...it's fine..it's running on both cylinders..no problems there...yes the second post would be more accurate. I Checked the shear pin and it is fine too. I pulled the covers off the gearboxes and added a little gear oil and I didn't notice anything broken, or metal frags etc.....It doesn't suck up enough, the cut is uneven the deck rattles...I'm lost..yes it is a MTGHS 26 EFI...Thanks for all and any input guys..appreciate it greatly.

Restrorob
11-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Take a look at the driveshaft pin closer, There are two. One in the center is the shear pin the one closer to the edge is a safety pin to keep the shaft from sliding off while running should the shear pin break.

If the shear pin is in-fact in-tact there could be gear issues inside the T-box, You could remove the end cover and inspect but all the oil will run all over the deck.

Mahoney3223
11-08-2009, 12:57 AM
is there any definitive way to tell if the gear boxes are indeed junk?

ericg
11-08-2009, 08:51 AM
There is no true way to check the shear pin unless you drive it out of the joint. You can however perform this test: Raise the deck to 90 degrees and try and turn the blades. If the blades turn, the shear pin is broken. There have been a couple of posts relative to the Walkers uneven and sloppy cutting and most times, it ends up being the shear pin. The gear boxes on a Walker are pretty simple to inspect. The other thing to do is take the deck off of the machine and rotate the blades to see if you can hear any noises. Did you check the blower gear box for noise? If the blower gear box is going bad, the noise travels. One more thing, did you check the u joints on the drive shaft for excessive play? If the joints have excessive play, the shaft can bounce around and cause a rattling sound.

Eric

Mahoney3223
11-12-2009, 10:58 PM
turned out the motor was not throwing high enough rpm..had to break down and take it in to my dealer..he adjust the throttle, replaced the governor spring and adjusted something else and now it runs like a r#ped ape!! thanks to all for the advice

bligh61
11-20-2009, 10:08 PM
After poor cutting and uneven cutting I demoed a 48 deck, mine is a 42. The 48 deck sat a 1/2 inch lower on the same settings. I brought this to my dealers attention and Walker mfg is aware of the problem and is working on a solution. My machine is a 2009 26efi model. Does any one else have issues with the 09 walkers, I was thinking the new blower design or the new catcher design. Any opinions?

Luke Reedy
04-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I have, in the past, noticed differences between decks as well. The solution was relatively inexpensive. Add washers underneath the deck pins to raise the height of the deck. They are cheap. Once you get the height even to your other deck you should easily be able to use both mowers in the same yard without any height differences. Good luck and start saving($3 worth of washers)

briancross
07-27-2011, 11:26 PM
hi i have a 99 walker mower i was on a lawn last week and i lost all controll with the right drive lever i pulled up the hoper pulled up the seat and there was a spring type of a thing on a rod that fell out of a hole i am clearly not very educated on the fixing of these machines and i just dont no what could have caused this to hapen i put the rod back in the hole got on the maching and it would not work i am not running behind with my bussnes and really need to get this mower fixxed if someone could please tell me how to fixx this or give me a list of suggestions or things i could try it would be greatly appriciated thanks

ed2hess
07-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I would be worried about the gear box rattling at low rpm....mine don't do that?

fixer67
07-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Check the o2 senor. The fire could have damaged it or the wiring for it. I have also seen a fire of this type mess up the governor spring. If the governor spring got hot from the fire it will have to be replace before the engine will run right. Also check the throttle linkages. If the fire was bad enough it could have even done damage to the TPS. Is the SERVICE ENGINE light on the panel on?