PDA

View Full Version : ornamental grass seeds

mtg97
11-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I have been wondering why my blue fescues, pampas grass and zebra grass never regenerate by their seeds. They all form seeds and fall off but never grow. I have planted the seeds but to no avail. Is it that that arent mature or what?

Think Green
11-07-2009, 05:58 PM
You may want to do a little research online about the types of ornamental grasses and their seed production. The species of grasses you mentioned are not self seeders. They are sterile!!
I had certain breeds of miscanthus grasses at my old residence. The clumps always expanded in girth each year and didn't regenerate by seed production. The clumps were extracted each spring or fall, cut into 1/4's and replanted in other locations.

White Gardens
11-07-2009, 06:14 PM
As above stated, they are sterile.

Some plant species, when hybridized, will go sterile and can't reproduce. Canna's do this, grasses, roses, some newer rose of Sharon, etc....

If you want to go with a spreading type of ornamental grass, then you could look at some native long stem bluegrass, and native switch grasses.

grassman177
11-12-2009, 06:39 PM
i can tell you dwarf fountain grass self seeds very well, when i forget to cut off the seed heads in fall they get allover my beds and wreak havoc