PDA

View Full Version : So here's a funny one

vgshopboss
11-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Last summer, we had a brand new Redmax backpack blower stolen from one of our trucks on-site. Last month, our chemical guy was out doing an end of year fert application, and sees a Redmax backpack blower in the back of a pickup in the parking lot. (This was at a townhome complex btw). He walks over to look at it, and lo and behold, it has our unit number and serial number engraved in the outer shroud. (Because for some reason, Redmax only uses a decal that peels off in about a week, so I engrave everything. Springtime, when we stock up on new hand held equipment, the shop sounds like a tattoo parlor with the engraver going)
So our chem guy calls me, gives me the S/N, and sure enough, same blower that got ripped off last year. So we call the local cops, they come and collect it, get the plate number and take the blower back to the station. We finally got the blower back, don't know if anyone got arrested or not. I guess you should either a) scrape the serial numbers off of your stolen equipment, or b) don't leave it laying out in your truck bed...it might get stolen.

topsites
11-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Not necessarily...

It is also quite possible, unfortunate but possible...
That the guy to whom the truck and blower belonged actually paid good money for it, bought it off the thief?
Which isn't saying that I'm accusing any thieves of being smart now.

Also, being in mere possession of a stolen piece of equipment is a felony in some states.
Yes, even if one purchased it from someone else without word to the wise.

Glad you found it thou

georgiagrass
11-20-2009, 02:49 AM
With all respect, it is not a felony to possess stolen equipment that was bought in good faith, without knowledge that it was stolen equipment.

STIHL GUY
12-28-2009, 11:16 PM
well at least you got it back

froglawn
02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
CONGRATS...sounds like there are those who are not so fortunate!

DuallyVette
02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I think I'm going to tear up....Happy endings sometimes make me cry. :)

Green Grass
04-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Last summer, we had a brand new Redmax backpack blower stolen from one of our trucks on-site. Last month, our chemical guy was out doing an end of year fert application, and sees a Redmax backpack blower in the back of a pickup in the parking lot. (This was at a townhome complex btw). He walks over to look at it, and lo and behold, it has our unit number and serial number engraved in the outer shroud. (Because for some reason, Redmax only uses a decal that peels off in about a week, so I engrave everything. Springtime, when we stock up on new hand held equipment, the shop sounds like a tattoo parlor with the engraver going)
So our chem guy calls me, gives me the S/N, and sure enough, same blower that got ripped off last year. So we call the local cops, they come and collect it, get the plate number and take the blower back to the station. We finally got the blower back, don't know if anyone got arrested or not. I guess you should either a) scrape the serial numbers off of your stolen equipment, or b) don't leave it laying out in your truck bed...it might get stolen.

I was wondering why that blower was no longer in the back of my truck

ALLPro Landscaping
04-18-2010, 01:55 AM
My question is was your why did your chem guy go through some one else s property, dont get me wrong im happy to see you recover your property.

ALLPro Landscaping
04-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Oh and by the way this post is over a year old

JFGauvreau
04-18-2010, 10:13 AM
With all respect, it is not a felony to possess stolen equipment that was bought in good faith, without knowledge that it was stolen equipment.

Exactly, if you didn't know it was stolen equipment you cannot be charge.

If you truly know you are purchasing stolen equipment then you will be charge. Of course, you need to prove the judge that you did not know it was stolen.

But glad you found your blower!

topsites
04-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Exactly, if you didn't know it was stolen equipment you cannot be charge.

Therein lies the problem because that's what the thief said, too.
Now if you're an upstanding citizen who has a lot of folks know
you and throughout town as such then you might not be in bad shape
but a lot of it probably boils down to that.

So, we have yet another good reason to always do the right thing.

yosquire
04-18-2010, 12:43 PM
However, if you’re in possession of stolen property, the burden of proof is upon you to demonstrate that you obtained it in good faith. If you can show you purchased it from someone else, then that person is on the hook to prove they received it in good faith.

a few months ago my buddy was cruising through craigslist and spots his dirt bike that was stolen 3 years before. Long story short. He had to remain anonymous because of a role he provides for this community. So I remember 14 digits of the 17 digit VIN, call up the seller acting like a perspective buyer. Go over there, verify it is indeed the bike. We call the non-emergency dispatch and the PD went over there and pulled the bike out of the house and verified the VINs matched. We were able to go back over and load the bike up. As the officer told us, the guy selling the bike has to prove he purchased it and if he could not, he would be charged.