PDA

View Full Version : Seeding per sqft

Greenscapes Lawncare
11-07-2009, 11:07 PM
what is the going rate to spread grass seed and cover with straw per sqft? bought mixture seed for $27.00 covers 3,000 sqft. Straw is $6 per large bale.

just getting an idea thanks guys.

rcreech
11-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Really too many variables:

If you talk to someone that seeds all the time then their costs will be much lower so you need to figure your OWN costs and come up with how much to charge.

How type of equipment are you going to use?

You can figure on using 1 straw bale/k if they are around 50#.

What kind of seed are you using (so you can figure a good seeding rate).

Why are you buying seed in such small quanitites?

The larger the bag size and quantity the better price you will get.

Greenscapes Lawncare
11-08-2009, 12:44 AM
i really dont get much demand for overseeding mainly just bare spots and sections.

can you spread the seed in a fertilizer spreader if so what settings?

just want a ballpark estimate

Runner
11-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Ours comes in around $75 per thousand sq. ft. with a thousand ft. minimum.

rcreech
11-08-2009, 10:02 AM
i really dont get much demand for overseeding mainly just bare spots and sections.

can you spread the seed in a fertilizer spreader if so what settings?

just want a ballpark estimate

If you are truely overseeding then using a spreader by itself will not work!

You need to disturb the soil some way to get good "seed to soil contact". Just seeding on top of the ground with a spreader will have very poor germination if the soil is not disturbed.

Best way would be to buy or rent a slice seeder. If you are only doing small areas...then you could use a rake or something!

As far as charging you could go with Runner's pricing but you need to determine your pricing yourself as I stated earlier...there are just too many variables for me to comment on pricing!

Greenscapes Lawncare
11-08-2009, 11:31 AM
i will be putting down the seed after aeration so it will have good contact, I triple aerated and roughed up the surface with a rake and i will cover with straw to keep in moisture. does the $75 per 1,000 p/k include the straw?

rcreech
11-08-2009, 04:39 PM
i will be putting down the seed after aeration so it will have good contact, I triple aerated and roughed up the surface with a rake and i will cover with straw to keep in moisture. does the $75 per 1,000 p/k include the straw?

Core seeding is ok...but not what it is cracked up to be! You will maybe get 50-60% germination vs slice seeding which will be 90+%

If you have "larger areas" core/seeding isn't a great option. Smaller areas will fill in but nothing great.

Just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't get discouraged with the results!

Also...when overseeding typically you would NEVER use straw. I rarely use straw anyways as it is usually more problem anyway.

I have a feeling you will be WAY HIGH if you charge that much for just broadcasting seed over a core job!

When core/seeding (which I do very little)...I usually mark up the seed 100% then just charge accordingly for spreading it!

Greenscapes Lawncare
11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
why not use straw?? the birds will eat it and not enough moisture?

rcreech
11-08-2009, 09:04 PM
why not use straw?? the birds will eat it and not enough moisture?

Straw is never needed when overseeding...and again I rarely even use in on new installs!

This time of year moisture isn't an issue and remember...you are putting down millions of seeds and I think they are more into worms! Don't believe everything you hear. :)

Seeding is a major part of my business but you don't have to take my word on it!

CHARLES CUE
11-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Im with the slit seeding it works the best. no straw its just a mess I like to mow the yard real low remove the excess grass than slit seed and leave the grass and thatch that the seeder tears up as a mulch. keep moist till seeds germinates. killing it first works great i find that the places in the yard that do not have grass growing in them will need a little dirt because the seeder i use the blades wont hit the dirt in that area its just to low as far as price you have to do the home work you can do a 10 th sq ft yard in a couple hrs plus rental and seed
Charles Cue