PDA

View Full Version : Last day results in questions:blowers,hand spreaders

drobin
11-08-2009, 01:27 AM
This was basically my last day of applications and I noticed Im losing time using a handheld blower to blow off driveways. Also a hand held spreader would have benefitted me on certain lawns.

Your opinions on what to purchase.

what backpack blower?

what hand held spreader?

Also, I have your typical commercial lesco walkbehind spreader and took off the guard that supposedly will keep most of the fertilizer off the driveways. It didnt work very well at all, has anyone ever rigged up something to their spreader that does a good job(keeps it off driveways) going up against driveways

grassman177
11-08-2009, 02:31 AM
this will be intersting. well as far as handhelds go the cheapo scotts from walmart works great. i use it for snapshot though not fert. never tried that. blower, take your pic. we prefer echo but we do lawns too and got the biggun, 755t. it is a great machine.

brizine
11-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Are you closing the third hole when trimming with the deflector down? I use the same spreader and almost never have to blow the side walks off.

Josh.S
11-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Are you closing the third hole when trimming with the deflector down? I use the same spreader and almost never have to blow the side walks off.

I also use the same spreader and almost never blow off drive ways either. You've got to shut off the third hole though. Maybe your deflector wasn't dropping low enough??

As far as hand spreaders go I just get the Scott's from walmart.... cheap and easy. I throw it in the hopper when I might need it.

I normally use my Stihl BG85 hand held blower to blow off driveways/sidewalks (when I have to) and I feel that it is plenty efficient. I also have a Stihl BR400? backpack blower that works well too. Normally I just like using the hand held more though and I leave the backpack blower on the mowing truck.

IMO, as far as blowers go, just pick one where you can get good service. I've owned redmax, stihl, and echo... they all work pretty well for me. The only commercial grade blower I didn't like was Shindaiwa. Stihl my favorite because the dealer is one mile away and I've never had a single problem with them.... I've owned 10+ pieces of stihl equipment with no breakdowns, ever. (maybe I'm just lucky)

drobin
11-08-2009, 08:43 PM
:hammerhead: I never knew the third hole had a way to close it, wow !!!! Thanks guys!

RigglePLC
11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Lesco and Earthway make hand-helds. Scotts "Handy Green" is a good bet. It costs more, but the wrist brace is important, because after about 60 seconds the weight of the ordinary one begins to pull your wrist down. If you are left-handed--well you know what problems can happen. The crank is on the right.

rcreech
11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Lesco and Earthway make hand-helds. Scotts "Handy Green" is a good bet. It costs more, but the wrist brace is important, because after about 60 seconds the weight of the ordinary one begins to pull your wrist down. If you are left-handed--well you know what problems can happen. The crank is on the right.

Riggle...that is as easy fix! If you are left handed you just have to turn it upside down! :laugh:

sprayboy
11-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I carry a handheld stihl on my z-max for the little drives and the back patios.

I break out the stihl br600 backpack for the larger/longer drives.

sprayboy
11-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Riggle...that is as easy fix! If you are left handed you just have to turn it upside down! :laugh:

Do you have to crank backward with it upsidedown?

jbturf
11-08-2009, 10:41 PM
for a handheld spreader, ive found the scotts to have the best spread

since your using and caring for the blower yourself
id recommend something nice and powerfull
your never know when you need to blow leaves, or a parking lot,
or somedays just walkways
i personally am happy with br600's
i also take a wheel blower occasionally in the fall
g/l

drobin
11-11-2009, 07:20 AM
yeah, I think its good to have a powerful b pack, what scotts model is the best for hand spreading?

EJK2352
11-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I have the Scotts hand spreader w/ the wrist brace. It works great for those small areas that I can't use the PG on. I use a Stihl BR600 backpack to blow off. I can walk down the middle of a double drive and blow it off in one pass. I used a Redmax hand held in the past and spent twice as long blowing off. Time is money so less time blowing off = more treatments per day.

hughmcjr
11-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Amazing some can avoid getting granular on walks. I don't understand the deflector deal. It would seem the flow rate if equal in whatever spread it is and a deflector would seem to group or limit that pattern to putting more at that spot on the side the deflector is. Either way I carry a blower and most often use handheld spreaders that are more accurate and less wasteful on smaller areas.

As a maintenance person of 20 years here is what I have found:

Best blower: Red Max

Best Hedge trimmer by far: Red Max

Best push mower: TOro 2 stroke with suzuki engine, no longer available.

Best weedeater: Shindaiwa

Best edger: Tanaka, 2 cycle at 800.00, all the rest with 4 cycle engines suck and won't last more than two years tops.

Overall worst commercial power equipment, Stihl. I own some of their stuff and it has given me and most other local operators more trouble and breakdowns than any other brand.

rcreech
11-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Amazing some can avoid getting granular on walks.

Really....it isn't amazing to me.

They are just not doing the customer justice by getting close to the edges (and that is pure laziness IMO)!

That is sad I think~!

We BLAST the edges and always blow off.

The edges are the areas that need the most attention so we make sure they get ferted as good as the center of the lawn!

hughmcjr
11-11-2009, 11:48 PM

They are just not doing the customer justice by getting close to the edges (and that is pure laziness IMO)!

That is sad I think~!

The edges are the areas that need the most attention so we make sure they get ferted as good as the center of the lawn!

I do the edges first and make two perimeter passes first in one direction which is usually edge/beds to the left since most spreaders put out less to the right than left and then reverse direction. Then I do circles ovals working toward the center.

We are on the same page then right?... that it is better to spread and get it on walks to get the edges done right and then simply blow off the walks instead of trying to be so accurate and use deflectors?

rcreech
11-12-2009, 07:26 AM
We are on the same page then right?... that it is better to spread and get it on walks to get the edges done right and then simply blow off the walks instead of trying to be so accurate and use deflectors?

Yeah!

Guys on here "brag" about not having to blow off because they do a such good job...but if you are going a good job then you are blasting the walks and blowing IMO.

Even using the deflector shield...you still can't hit the edges very well if staying too far away!

Rayholio
11-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Backpacks (in most set ups) take WAY too long to get on your back, and then strapped back in.. I use a pre-emmission EB240 from shindaiwa.. it is handheld.. starts on the 1st pull, and is repairable if it breaks. It does REAL well.. I've used a Red Max which was ok.. and then a NEW Shindaiwa 4 cycle.. and I didn't care for it.

Got to be careful in this business not to spend too much time fooling around at, and around the truck.. load up times can take longer than the lawn with some set-ups..

I hire a guy that does nothing but fill out paperwork, and blow off driveways.. sometimes stacks fert or refills my hopper.. but I get full use outta him.. he's hardly ever idle, and our jobs are 100% faster.

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Spyker Chest Spreader. That's the key. Complete control over pattern. You can cover edges well and still avoid the mess. All I use. I've used push spreaders and I've used hand spreaders. the chest spreader is the most versatile tool for me.

teejet
11-12-2009, 09:15 PM
I use the spyker chest spreader and still get granules on the walks. I like the control you get by using them. You can spread a 1 to 20 ft pattern by keeping your finger on the gate and cranking fast or slow.

brizine
11-12-2009, 10:10 PM
You guys continue to amaze me. If it's not how you do it, the other person must be wrong. Lesco spreaders have a third hole shut off for a reason. It makes it possible to trim the yard (right next to the edge) at the proper rate without getting fertilizer all over the sidewalk or in the pool. On a ride on deflectors do not work as well because of the increased impellor speed, and Spykers with there one hole design makes it even worse. Each spreader has its pros and cons, spyker never gets clogs and lesco will. Also can someone explain to me how the edges require more fertilizer than the center of the lawn? One lb. Of N per 1000 is the same no matter where square footage falls on the yard, in the center or the edge.

rcreech
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Also can someone explain to me how the edges require more fertilizer than the center of the lawn? One lb. Of N per 1000 is the same no matter where square footage falls on the yard, in the center or the edge.

I said that the edges need the "most attention" as that is where grass thins out the quickest and fills in with weeds (I was touching more on the pre-emergent btw).

HERE IS MY EXACT QUOTE!

"The edges are the areas that need the most attention so we make sure they get ferted as good as the center of the lawn!"

WHERE did I or anyone say that the edges require MORE fert then the center of the lawn?

You need to read closer before making assumptions there buddy~! :dizzy:

brizine
11-12-2009, 10:52 PM
So you blast the edges and blow all the extra fert back on the lawn leaving the edges heavy. I did not start this, you did by saying we did our customers injustice by using the deflector shield and not having to blow off the sidewalk. I pride myself in my work, so I took that personally.

The thread was concerning problems with his lesco spreader leaving excess fert when trimming. Instead of telling him to blow it off. I gave him instructions on the proper way to use the spreader. Guess what, he wasn't closing the third hole.

That is sad I think~!

rcreech
11-12-2009, 11:08 PM
So you blast the edges and blow all the extra fert back on the lawn leaving the edges heavy. I did not start this, you did by saying we did our customers injustice by using the deflector shield and not having to blow off the sidewalk. I pride myself in my work, so I took that personally.

The thread was concerning problems with his lesco spreader leaving excess fert when trimming. Instead of telling him to blow it off. I gave him instructions on the proper way to use the spreader. Guess what, he wasn't closing the third hole.

If you are spreading your edges correctly...then why did you take it personal? I didn't say anything about defector shields...I just said that guys that don't throw full rates to the edges!

I don't personally use the deflector shield, but if you can use a deflector shield and go perfect along the edges and not have to blow off then....:clapping: good for you!

I am must talking about the guys that just throw to the edge and DON'T use a deflector! They just "get close" and call it good!

If you understand how a spreader works...you would know that it doesn't throw 100% effective spread width. THEREFORE....when I blast the edges I am not throwing a 100% rate but when I blow off the walks it is going to be good to go! This is very imporatant...especially with Pre's!

brizine
11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
You mentioned the deflector shield here. Rodney I have never had a problem with you before, but this is ridiculous. This thread never mentioned he was spreading pre emergents, you just assumed it. This thread never mentioned him spreading thin on the edges. He was trimming with deflector down and having problems.Yeah!

Guys on here "brag" about not having to blow off because they do a such good job...but if you are going a good job then you are blasting the walks and blowing IMO.

Even using the deflector shield...you still can't hit the edges very well if staying too far away!

rcreech
11-12-2009, 11:28 PM
You mentioned the deflector shield here. Rodney I have never had a problem with you before, but this is ridiculous. This thread never mentioned he was spreading pre emergents, you just assumed it. This thread never mentioned him spreading thin on the edges. He was trimming with deflector down and having problems.

You are blowing what I said totally out of proportion! That must be why you think it is rediculous!

I have never had any luck using deflector shields (I only use ride ons) and that is why I don't use them! I said "if you can use a deflector shield and not have to blow off then good for you".

I never stated he WAS talking about Pre's and I didn't assume anything! I simply stated that is ONE reason for hitting the edges good and blowing off!

Some LCO's stay away from the edges just so they don't have to blow off. Those are the ones I am talkin about!

Chill out man as it sounds like you are doing it correctly! :drinkup:

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-12-2009, 11:31 PM
I use the spyker chest spreader and still get granules on the walks. I like the control you get by using them. You can spread a 1 to 20 ft pattern by keeping your finger on the gate and cranking fast or slow.

If you use your left hand to partially shroud the exit chute, while walking directly above the edge of the grass, you can get the prills to drop right at the edge of the lawn with just a little bit of practice.

rcreech
11-12-2009, 11:35 PM
If you use your left hand to partially shroud the exit chute, while walking directly above the edge of the grass, you can get the prills to drop right at the edge of the lawn with just a little bit of practice.

Whoop,

Have you tried to break your record from last year?

Keep us posted!

I did get a chest spreader last year and it does work awsome on smalle lawns. I only use it one a couple...but you can do them in no time! I must be doing it wrong though...becasue I still make a mess and have to blow off. I don't see how you get it to the edge and don't make a mess?

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Have you tried to break your record from last year?

Keep us posted!

I could have, but didn't bother. I went out on Tuesday at 6:58am and had 70 completed at 3:04pm (with 94 minutes of that dedicated to sprinkler blowouts and a quick 15-ish minute jaunt to Burger King). But since my wife wasn't willing to record me, I wasn't gonna bother posting it and just listening to the ignorant tear me to shreds because they can't envision what is my reality. Besides, we both know that even if I DID post a video, the naysayers would just criticize my application, accuse my of striping, call me a hack, etc, etc.

I did get a chest spreader last year and it does work awsome on smalle lawns. I only use it one a couple...but you can do them in no time! I must be doing it wrong though...becasue I still make a mess and have to blow off. I don't see how you get it to the edge and don't make a mess?

Did you get a Spyker, or did you get a Solo/Earthway? Only the Spykers broadcast an accurate 90 degree pattern. The others are wider than that and cannot be controlled on edges.

rcreech
11-13-2009, 07:44 AM
I could have, but didn't bother. I went out on Tuesday at 6:58am and had 70 completed at 3:04pm (with 94 minutes of that dedicated to sprinkler blowouts and a quick 15-ish minute jaunt to Burger King). But since my wife wasn't willing to record me, I wasn't gonna bother posting it and just listening to the ignorant tear me to shreds because they can't envision what is my reality. Besides, we both know that even if I DID post a video, the naysayers would just criticize my application, accuse my of striping, call me a hack, etc, etc.

Did you get a Spyker, or did you get a Solo/Earthway? Only the Spykers broadcast an accurate 90 degree pattern. The others are wider than that and cannot be controlled on edges.

No more then I use one...I got the cheap Solo one. Does a great job...just messy!

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-13-2009, 08:35 AM
...I got the cheap Solo one. Does a great job...just messy!

Well there you go. That's why you're blowing things off. :laugh:

SpreadNSpray
11-13-2009, 08:57 AM
There is more than one way to skin a cat. Application rates and results are most important to me. I do use the deflector on the Magnum with few problems, I also have to blow off a few if I miss, but I also want my fert @ full rate along the edges and corners. I little less throttle seems to help with impeller speed and prills jumping the deflector.

SpreadNSpray
11-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Whoop do you have someone filling out the paper work? 12 per hour is movin!

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Whoop do you have someone filling out the paper work? 12 per hour is movin!

Nope. All Utah requires is I write down the date, blend, and quantity (actually, according to the laws on the books, I really only have to write the date for a fertilizer-only application), and I have 48 hours to complete paperwork... so I just take the cards with me, shuffle them as I go, then fill 'em out when I get done for the day.

My territory is dense. Most times I stop the truck, I'm doing 2-3 lawns at once. Then I jump back in, drive 50-100 meters, and do it again. Makes for quick work. A topped off hopper holds 24#, so I'm able to do 2 typical lawns before a reload. Thus, there's very little running back to the truck in the middle of an app. I just jump out, drop tailgate (if I even put it up), use a pitcher to add a couple scoops of fert into the spreader, put it on my neck, grab a yard stake, and apply. I had a stint in there where I did 10 of the apps in 37 minutes.

MrMow
11-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Spyker Chest Model??
Is that the canister looking version or the bag version?

topsites
11-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah the way you do it is you don't get but so close to the driveway with
the spreader first, then after you're done take your blower and blow the
overspray right back into the lawn.

As for spreader settings, there exist two:
Closed for refilling, and wide open for spreading.

And you can tell all the folks making a science out of spreading, simplicity rules.

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Spyker Chest Model??
Is that the canister looking version or the bag version?

The red "Spyker 75" unit that looks like a glorified bucket.
Posted via Mobile Device

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-13-2009, 06:12 PM
As for spreader settings, there exist two:
Closed for refilling, and wide open for spreading.

And you can tell all the folks making a science out of spreading, simplicity rules.

Wow. I'm not even going to dignify that idiocy with a comment. (Or am I?)

SpreadNSpray
11-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Nope. All Utah requires is I write down the date, blend, and quantity (actually, according to the laws on the books, I really only have to write the date for a fertilizer-only application), and I have 48 hours to complete paperwork... so I just take the cards with me, shuffle them as I go, then fill 'em out when I get done for the day.

My territory is dense. Most times I stop the truck, I'm doing 2-3 lawns at once. Then I jump back in, drive 50-100 meters, and do it again. Makes for quick work. A topped off hopper holds 24#, so I'm able to do 2 typical lawns before a reload. Thus, there's very little running back to the truck in the middle of an app. I just jump out, drop tailgate (if I even put it up), use a pitcher to add a couple scoops of fert into the spreader, put it on my neck, grab a yard stake, and apply. I had a stint in there where I did 10 of the apps in 37 minutes.

Nice! you gotta love those multi job stops. I have a couple that are 8 per stop and one that's 12.

I think you need to go redneck and hook up a cordless power drill to your hand crank. You might get a few more done that way :laugh: