PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good book about lawns

aira$$ault
11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi all,
I'm planning to start a lawn care business in the spring, as I've said in many other posts. After lurking on the forum for a while, I've learned a whole lot about the business. However, I feel like I'm lacking in the horticulture department. I'm a professional engineer, so it's not in my background.
It seems like I need a knowledge base in order to understand most of the discussion in this forum, in regards to the technical aspects of building and maintaining a healthy lawn. Seems to me a good start would be a book. Can anyone recommend a book that would fill me in on how to build and maintain a healthy lawn ? I need to know about soil, chemicals, fertilizer, aerating, watering, weeds, etc.

rustystarretts
11-08-2009, 04:24 PM
The Organic Lawn Care Manual (Paperback)
~ Paul Tukey (Author) .... easily $14.00 well spent!:usflag:

Keegan
11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Paul Sachs has authored some good books as well

RigglePLC
11-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Lawn Geek by Trey Rogers, published about 2006.
All about Lawns, by Ortho
Turfgrass, Science and Culture by James Beard, a textbook, big bucks; its the best. 672 pages.

BIOGRASS
11-10-2009, 08:01 PM
I personally think Christians is a good read check out Fundamentals of Turfgrass Management

grassman177
11-10-2009, 10:07 PM
i had the one by Beard as a text book in college , good book but was outdated a bit then, hopfully it has been updated.

BIOGRASS
11-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I think it is still outdated... Not aware of any updates, I would love to read a newer version.

HawkinsBros
11-21-2009, 09:06 PM
You're not a professional engineer.

Smallaxe
11-23-2009, 06:13 AM
You're not a professional engineer.

Not only that... there's no horticulture in NM.

aira$$ault
11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Not only that... there's no horticulture in NM.

What does that mean ?

Horticulture is the industry and science of plant cultivation including the process of preparing soil for the planting of seeds, tubers, or cuttings.[

Yeah, no horticulture in NM, makes sense.

HawkinsBros is my smartass brother. If I'm not an engineer, I'm OK with that, as long as the people who send my paycheck don't mind.

HawkinsBros
11-23-2009, 06:30 PM
NMSU is HUGE into agriculture/horticulture as are some of the other schools in the state. New Mexico is a little on the dry side, true. But it is still an ideal environment.

yeah im his smartass brother. someone should probably delete my first reply, as well as the off-topics that followed.

Smallaxe
11-23-2009, 07:50 PM
What does that mean ?

Horticulture is the industry and science of plant cultivation including the process of preparing soil for the planting of seeds, tubers, or cuttings.[

Yeah, no horticulture in NM, makes sense.

HawkinsBros is my smartass brother. If I'm not an engineer, I'm OK with that, as long as the people who send my paycheck don't mind.

That is only a joke on my part and if your brother is hassling you that means you've won. Horticulture is anywhere plants live and we all know that... In Wisco we think of NM as a desert where nothing grows... :)

aira$$ault
11-24-2009, 12:55 AM
In NM we think of Wisconson as a dairy where the only export is cheese..... :)

Anyway, back on track. I got Scotts lawn book..It is great, lots of info. I expected it to e an overgrown advertisment for scotts products, but that Wasn't the case at all.

I also found a good on for my area "lawn problems of the southwest". Seems to be a study from UNM.

I'm gonna order the others from amazon.

44DCNF
11-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Building A Healthy Lawn
A Safe and Natural Approach
Stuart Franklin
Storey Books
ISBN 0-88266-518-9

ecoguy
11-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I agree, Paul Tukey's Manual is excellent.

Right now I'm reading Second Nature and Secrets of the Soil..

As far as business books go, EMyth by Gerber is a must.