PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried this?

cylinder3missfire
11-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I ran acros this ad on craigslist, http://carbondale.craigslist.org/hss/1447231835.html If the link doesnt work the guy says he will mow yards for free next year if they let him put a sign in the yard and live on busy streets. Kinda sounds like a way to get screwed to me, or does this actually work? Have any of you done this? Were results worth free services?

zturncutter
11-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Good luck to him. I have existing customers on busy streets that let me put up small signs, no strings attached. Have not received one call this year on them.:cry:

a clear difference lawn
11-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Lets say its an $80 lawn. That means $960 for the year. For $960 you can get 1600lawn signs. Probably not the best idea. Just my opinion.

N.H.BOY
11-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Dumb idea for sure, if in a busy area I have put up signs (asked customers first) and had only two calls, make sure the lawns that have the signs look the best course

STIHL GUY
11-08-2009, 09:53 PM
seems like a waste of time

cylinder3missfire
11-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Its good to see the general opinion/experience is the same. I have been watching a lot of different businesses and it seems what people notice is the truck and equipment. Not a yard sign.

LouisianaLawnboy
11-08-2009, 11:51 PM
My opinion on this doing work for free either for an existing customer or potential customer for them to allow you to put a sign up in the their yard is no good. If my customers like my work enough they will let me put a sign in their yard.

Tom3982s
11-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Seems like a tough way to go about getting business. Not a great idea...

mowingsite
11-11-2009, 07:46 PM
why put a sign up when you can just letter your truck and trailer? after over 15 years in mowing I can say all my current customers are from word of mouth and walking up to me while mowing and asking how much?

Jmart90
11-12-2009, 10:30 PM
if lawn signs really had a big influence that would make sense to me, it's like a form of "free" advertising, I say free meaning "to exclude the time and money it costs him" lol. but yea, it shows off his work and gives his contact info, which is what all lawn signs do aha.

imo dumb as hell, and I am a noob to this bizz

Jay Ray
11-13-2009, 08:48 AM
if lawn signs really had a big influence that would make sense to me, it's like a form of "free" advertising, I say free meaning "to exclude the time and money it costs him" lol. but yea, it shows off his work and gives his contact info, which is what all lawn signs do aha.

imo dumb as hell, and I am a noob to this bizz

You nailed it. A way to work hard for far, far less and become quickly discouraged.

peltzsempire
11-15-2009, 01:12 AM
The money he could make by mowing that lawn would be of much better use if he turned around and put the money back into a real marketing plan. He is thinking outside the box but unfortuately its too far outside that box.