PDA

View Full Version : Which one?

mark2
05-14-2002, 12:16 AM
I'm currently useing a 48" walk be-hind with a Velke. I cut alot of steep lawns here in North Georgia. About half of them I have to hang up the velke and walk because there too steep.

A local lco has had dixies and a great dane stander. They have now gone to walk behinds.

I see alot of Z mowers being pulled around (rare I ever see anyone using them). I think that maybe these guys have more money than brains or they have all the flat accounts.

I want to purchase a new mower. I am interested in the stander and the sentar. I have heard they will do very well on hills.

Before I purchase I would like to know which is the best hillside machine and what width of cut?
How do they compare to a Z of equal cut?
Does either one have a floating deck?
If no floating deck, When I cut on a side slope will the deck lean down hill and cut shorter on the down hill side?
How will it cut in extremely thick fescue? (I'm tired of the double cuts)
And any other info that may be helpful that is not found in the wright website.

Is it possible to demo a unit? Marrietta Sentry is probably my closest dealer.

Wright Mfg
05-14-2002, 10:55 AM
Approximately in this order for best hill side mower:

48" Stander
52" Sentar
52" Stander
42" Stander
61" Sentar
36" Stander
61" Stander

Cuts very well compared to other mowers partly due to the large discharge opening to move the grass out, and tires close to the deck for ground contouring. Many posts on our cut quallity.

Sentar has the "floating" deck. Quickest HOC change in the world.
Stander is a fixed deck, but because the tires are so close to the deck, it's a floating mower.

Never heard of a hillside cut problem on our mowers. On ours you lean uphill to add weight to the high side which would balance this out if it were an issue. Just make sure you have the proper tire pressures.

Both cut very well in thick grass especially if you have the largest horse power engine we offer. Sentar has a higher blade tip speed on the 52" because it's a faster mower and if you cut slow with it (like 6-8 mph instead of 11 mph), it'll cut down a forrest!

Read some of the other posts about Stander or Sentar vs. brand "X".

Marrietta Sentry is our Distributor. They sell to the dealers. You can call them to locate a dealer that would let you demo a unit.
Call them at 770-971-8118

Thanks for your inquiry,
Jim V

mark2
05-14-2002, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info!

chariot
05-15-2002, 10:59 AM
Were you saying that the Sentar 52" had a higher blade speed than the 61" Sentar or that it was higher than a 48" Stander, which may be what he was comparing to his walkbehind? Just curious because my Sentar brochure says the 52" is 18,568 fpm and that the 61" is 19,000 fpm. Thanks

Wright Mfg
05-15-2002, 11:45 AM
No, I was comparing same size decks between Sentar and Stander. The 52" Sentar has a higher blade tip speed than a 52" Stander.

The 61" Sentar and 61" Stander have the same BTS because they are at ANSI. Max.

The 48" sentar will have a higher BTS than the 48" Stander but the 48" Sentar is not available yet.

JV

olde_blue
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Approximately in this order for best hill side mower:

48" Stander
52" Sentar
52" Stander
42" Stander
61" Sentar
36" Stander
61" Stander

. . .

Thanks for your inquiry,
Jim V

Mr. Velke,

Would you mind updating this 2001 tread now that Wright has come out with new products (Sentar Sport, Stander RH, Velke mower, and ZK) as well as redesigned the small frame Standers? Also, in addition to which mowers mow across hills the best, could you order them for best going up (and, as important, down) hills?

Thanks.

Wright Mfg
05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Mr. Velke,

Would you mind updating this 2001 tread now that Wright has come out with new products (Sentar Sport, Stander RH, Velke mower, and ZK) as well as redesigned the small frame Standers? Also, in addition to which mowers mow across hills the best, could you order them for best going up (and, as important, down) hills?

Thanks.

Blue- I don't have as good a feel for hill performance with Sport, RH, and Z because I havn't been out on them nearly as much as those others and from what I've heard, the deference's are mostly minor. Some of it depends on the weight and technique of the operator.

I think a better way is to list what to look for in a mower and technique to use, to get the best hill performance.

Hills and Walk behinds:
Ours is as good as any on hills, and likely better than most because we have the largest drive tires for a fixed deck walk behind, which provides better traction and hill holding ability. Walk behind handlebars are counter levers to keep the mower from diving down hills, which is why they can be the best on hills if you can keep your footing. Limitations would be tire size/traction as I mentioned and the ability to manhandle the mower while using the controls as needed for difficult situations. Pistol Grips are best for manhandling.

Any 4 wheel mower with front casters for hills:

Get the Largest/widest tires - best for traction but you will sacrifice deck trim edge.
Get the Widest rear wheel stance - best for crossing hills but you sacrifice deck trim edge.
Lighter mower is best with as much weight as possible on drive tires without it being a wheelee issue. See note below

Hills and Stand-on mowers:

Stand-ons with added weights are bad because their just trying to compensate for a front heavy mower.
Some stand-ons are so front heavy they will climb very steep hills because it takes a steeper hill to get the front end to come up. However, you sacrifice the ability to cross a hill or back up a hill.

Note: The ultimate weight distribution in any direction on a hill is maintaining as little weight on the front wheels as possible without it being so light that the front end comes up. This is achieved first by the weight distribution of the man/mower combo and second, the ability to move your own weight around to optimize the weight distribution for a given direction on a hill.

Hills and Sentar/Sport:

The seat actually adds a degree of ability to optimize weight distribution, because you can sit or stand. When going up a hill, stand up and lean forward to add weight to the front. When crossing a hill, sit down and lean up hill. The counter leverage helps keep the mower from diving.

When backing up hill, sit far back on the seat.

Wright Z:

Much like other Z's for disadvantages, trapping you in, weight more forward than stand-ups since you can't bail out, but ours has a very low center of gravity due to a unique way we arrange the engine pulley/clutch to get the engine lower. This helps ours cross hills better than others.

Jim V