PDA

View Full Version : measuring tree lighting

Dman911
11-09-2009, 01:17 AM
I am trying to figure out how to tell a customer roughly how many razberry 9ft strands it would take to wrap their trees. I know there has to be some kind of formula, but I must have been sleeping that day in math. Does anyone have any help for this? Also, how much spacing are you guys doing for the tight wound trees? I have been told
2"-3" does this sound right?

Thanks for any help...

David Gretzmier
11-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I have heard formulas thrown around, but the best class for that learning is experience. I can look at a tree and guess, and even measure, but in the end, if your employee spaces strands 2 inches apart instead of 3, you will use nearly 50% more lights. think of it this way- 4 rotations will go 12 inches 3 inches apart, but will only go 8 inches 2 inches apart. you need 50% more lights, or 4/8 just to go the same distance as 3 inch spacing.

personally, I don't think tight wrap branches look good unless you are between 1-2 inches. tree trunks you can get away with 2-3.

The light spacing also plays into this. the more expensive mini lights have bulbs every 5-6 inches, which is great to scatter on bushes. the better spacing for tight wrap is cheaper sets that have bulbs 2-3 inches apart. they look better when really trying to accent the branches.

Dman911
11-09-2009, 05:15 PM
David,
I have really been trying to study up and learn this. This is a big jump for me, and I can not express the amount of gratitude that I have for you. I have been reading and reading through your posts, and have gained so much knowledge. Thank you.

Quick question to your response about the cheaper lights better for tight wrap. If I do this on the very tall trees, what is the chance that they will burn out? If I have to go back to replace these and rent a bucket lift, should I eat the cost? How do you handle service calls after install?

Thanks.