PDA

View Full Version : Spent hours on state and federal websites!

cylinder3missfire
11-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Looking at the federal website I have decided that as a lawn care company a usdot# is not needed. However, nowhere can I find if any IDOT or ICC/MC #s are needed in illinois. I know farmers have to have them but that has to do with the grain they haul. My question is (for you illinois people) do we need any numbers on our trucks since they are commercial vehicles? I know if you run D plates they have to be inspected. But dont know about dot numbers.

Kevin M.
11-09-2009, 10:56 PM
You need a federal DOT number if your truck or combination -- truck and trailer weigh in excess of 10,000 pounds. You will also need a DOT medical card if your are driving a vehicle that weighs more than 10,000 pounds.

unkownfl
11-10-2009, 01:10 AM
You need a federal DOT number if your truck or combination -- truck and trailer weigh in excess of 10,000 pounds. You will also need a DOT medical card if your are driving a vehicle that weighs more than 10,000 pounds.

its not what it weighs its the gvw what it is capable of carrying.

SangerLawn
11-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Anytime you are a business and you vehicle has a gwr rating of 10,000 lbs you must have DOT numbers no matter what state you live in. go to your local state troopers office and talk to them about it. They normally are more then willing to help.

Duffster
03-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Anytime you are a business and you vehicle has a gwr rating of 10,000 lbs you must have DOT numbers no matter what state you live in. go to your local state troopers office and talk to them about it. They normally are more then willing to help.

Only if in interstate commerce. Not all state require numbers for interstate commerce, like IL as the OP has figured out.