PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Lighting is in the news

The Lighting Geek
11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
The AP News did an article about lighting:

Outdoor lighting tips: How to brighten the night (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SERVICE_PACKAGE_OUTDOOR_LIGHTING?SITE=MOSPL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

Lite4
11-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Very Cool! Glad to see some media coverage. I am going on the radio this weekend for a 30 minute segment on Christmas lighting. I will be doing a landscape lighting segment in March that will last for an hour or so. It is a popular home and garden program on saturday mornings with a saturday morning listenership of around 115k or so they estimate. It should be fun.

irrig8r
11-10-2009, 01:21 AM
From the article:

"...There are even some solar-powered path lights that sell on the Internet for as low as $30 for a pack of 10. While those solar lights don't require wiring, they have a big downside: They won't produce much light on an overcast day...." :) :) :)

Or, I might add, on any dark night either...

Segment of the article quoting the Kichler guy: "Lighting is a fashion industry," he says. "You don't have the same pair of slacks that you had 30 years ago."

LOL

Armadillolawncare
11-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Holy crap I am scare to show a customer a Kichler catalog. Its thicker then my local phone book.

Pro-Scapes
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
We never show a catalog. Paths and building mounted lights can be an exception but our clients pay us to specify the proper fixture for the job.

Armadillolawncare
11-10-2009, 06:36 PM
So far I have been selling mostly Cast lighting and I don't mind providing their catalog since they don't have a huge selection of fixtures.

irrig8r
11-10-2009, 08:31 PM
So far I have been selling mostly Cast lighting and I don't mind providing their catalog since they don't have a huge selection of fixtures.

I think Billy's right. You're the expert: the artist, the designer/ contractor/ installer....

I sometimes give in to a client who wants to pick out fixtures, but usually try to sell myself as someone that knows a thing or two about lighting design.

I tell them that picking the right fixture is usually less an issue of a look or finish, and much more to do with what the particular fixture is designed to do and how it will perform.

So, let me pick the fixture for what it will do and how long it will last, let them pick the material or finish if they have a preference.

irrig8r
11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
BTW Tommy.... nice exposure!

Pro-Scapes
11-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I think Billy's right. You're the expert: the artist, the designer/ contractor/ installer....

I sometimes give in to a client who wants to pick out fixtures, but usually try to sell myself as someone that knows a thing or two about lighting design.

I tell them that picking the right fixture is usually less an issue of a look or finish, and much more to do with what the particular fixture is designed to do and how it will perform.

So, let me pick the fixture for what it will do and how long it will last, let them pick the material or finish if they have a preference.

Paths and decorative fixtures can be an exception to this

Classic Lighting
11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Good job Tommy. Articles, such as this one by the AP, are great advertisement for the industry.