PDA

View Full Version : Dark Green Grass

Quail Creek LC
05-14-2002, 02:13 AM
I need everyones opinion on what makes the grass soo dark green. I'm new on applications and I am just curious. Is it the Iron that gives off the dark green color. Thanks in advance.

KirbysLawn
05-14-2002, 02:24 AM
Yes Iron, try the 10 or 20% sold at Lesco or "PERK" made by Labenon.

MOW ED
05-14-2002, 09:19 AM
To get the dark black look make sure to apply it when it is going to freeze overnight.:D

tremor
05-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Nitrogen is the biggy. Next most used element that will sometimes shift color is Sulfur. Iron will almost always improve color, but is not frequntly difficient.
If turf (or any other plant) isn't responding well with respect to color, make sure first that you're dealing with desirable cultivars of turfgrass. Then do a soil test. If this pans out OK, it's time for tissue analysis.
With all this data in hand there is nothing that can stop the skilled turf manager from improving turf except for the budget.

Steve

GroundKprs
05-16-2002, 01:23 AM
If you want a greener turf, and your lawn is more that 15 years old, the most efficient way is to Roundup the lawn and reseed with a new variety of seed. The seed researchers are constantly producing new varieties of all types of grasses, and the newer varieties are usually greener in color and more disease resistant.

My own lawn is the greenest on the block, only because it was redone 8 years ago with varieties of bluegrass that were new and rated high in color, or historically greener than others. It gets equal or less fertilization than all the other lawns. Of course the good seed is not cheap, but then I like to shoot for quality, not cheap. Pumping N, Fe, or whatever for green is an artificial route, when you could provide a naturally greener turf with newer cultivars.

tremor
05-16-2002, 06:43 AM
Jim brings up a very good point. Older stands often have falled victim to Creeping Bentgrass around here. Since we have the largest concentration of Golf Courses in the world in the Metro NY area, Bentgrass seems to find all lawns (especially the irrigated ones) eventually. Bent seed is so fine it can blow for quite a distance when the maint. crews are top dressing. Golfers pick up seed on their shoes & clubs & bring it home. Birds redeposit seed. I've even talked with golfers that bring home a small quantity of divot mix (from the tee buckets) to make "small patch repairs".

Bent & Fescue was the high quality lawn of choice back when the better homes were groomed with Locke Reel mowers. By todays standards, these old colonial bents really are just weeds.

At modern day rotary mower cutting heights, Bentgrass has much longer tillers than it does when cutting at less than 1". As such, Roundup renovations are rarely 100% effective. The glyphosate molecules can't reach the entire tiller & all the nodes on it. So regrowth often occurrs.

The best Bent erradication approach here has been to "groom" for shorter tillers for a few months prior to the renovation. Fine if you still own a workin Locke & have a wealthy & patient client but not many customers want to here that one. The alternative is to agressively verticut with a heavy duty, deep running machine like the 10-12 hp Ryan or at the minimum, a slow moving and fresh bladed LESCO Renovator. No seed, just deep verticutting in 2 directions at 90 degrees. Then fertilize with a cheap soluble fert, water like crazy to encourage all cut tillers with nodes to regrow. Wait a few weeks to insure they all have at least some above ground growth. Then sparay the Roundup.
A customer of mine & I developed this plan in cooperation with our local Monsanto rep. My customer had noticed that whenever he was called upon to Roundup a backyard putting green, the treatment was effective. But when treating high cut turf with Bents, they always came back.

Steve