PDA

View Full Version : Drain in Concrete

RAlmaroad
11-10-2009, 06:16 AM
When the contractor poured the concrete of the driveway, it was not pitched for water runoff. Water runs back into the garage during a hard rain. I'd like to cut out a section and install a drain with a grate across the front of garage; out about 3 feet under the eaves--it's about 20' wide. I'm thinking cutting out a foot reforming the concrete by pouring a sloping bottom with 3" wall and 1" recess and 4" drain. While I'm at it, planning on a 1' X 1' catch basin with gravel bottom. We're on sand. Any help, experience or ideas would be appreciated.

coolluv
11-10-2009, 07:40 AM
http://www.polycastdrain.com/

Dave...

Dreams To Designs
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
A channel drain would be easier and more effective in your situation. NDS, ACO and others make drains specifically for this purpose. You cut out a strip across, in front of the garage door, install the channel drain and repour concrete to finish. It is quick, easy and effective. Locate an area or create a french drain to disperse the water from the channel drain. An NDS Flo-Well would be ideal or a hole filled with rock would work to hold the excess water until it was able to disperse back into the soil.

Kirk

http://www.ndspro.com/files/catalogs/DuraSlope.pdf

RAlmaroad
11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Any one know of this type of drain on the east coast? I'm great with concrete and would like to locate some of the iron grating material about 8" wide. Thanks

Dreams To Designs
11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
NDS is available on the East Coast and they also offer cast iron grates. You can get more ornamental iron grates from outside suppliers that will work with NDS and other major brands of channel drain.

Kirk

seascapes
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
This has bar drain written all over it. I would not try to re-pour the concrete and get it to drain off that way. Look into bar/deco drains and then cut out what you need then install the new drain and take the water where you want it to go. We actually just did the same job last week. You could do the job in day if your by yourself. Providing you have all the tools.