PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Blade

lots2learn
11-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm building a retaining wall flowerbed and using a chop saw with 14" wet/dry diamond blade. I have been dry cutting the blocks and it cuts them great. Well, now I think the blade is starting to get dull. I am working on the cap now, and at the end of the cut the blade is chipping the corner of the cap. It doesn't matter if I go fast or slow. It still chips the last 1/4". The blade still cuts well, but this chipping just started.

Is there a way to sharpen this blade? There is still a lot of depth left on the teeth. I don't have too many cuts left, but I would like it to look nice and not chip the rest of the caps.

Thanks for any help!

subhunter
11-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Diamond blades cannot be sharpened. Try an old wood workers trick - butt a scrap piece of cap against the end of the cut to reduce stress. The blade probably has a bit of "wobble" and cutting into the scrap may leave you a clean cut.

lots2learn
11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Ok, I will try this. That's a good idea I never would have thought of. Will have to wait a few days for all the rain to go away.

Thanks!

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Somtimes the diamond blades get gummed up and I've heard to run the blade through a piece of asphalt to clean it out.

Woodland
11-11-2009, 08:16 AM
There are a couple of things to consider. First, most diamond blades are designed for a specific cutting purpose - hard stones such as granite, soft stone such as blue stone, concrete, general purpose, etc. They are designed to wear away at a certain rate to continually expose new diamonds on the blade. In this respect, it is possible that your blade is "dull". I run MK bulk blades for cutting pavers and they work perfect. If I use that same blade on blue stone, which I do on occasion, I find that I have to run the blade through a hard material, such as a piece of granite, every so often to "sharpen" the blade. The other factor is one that was already mentioned, blade wobble. Not uncommon with dry cutting, if the blade gets really hot, the metal will warp to some degree. It is usually not noticeable when glancing at the blade but it is present. I'm sure this could cause the "tear out" that you are noticing, although I don't know how much wobble would need to occur to cause it. Just a few things to consider.

Bru75
11-11-2009, 04:58 PM
As long as you have part of the diamond segments left, it should keep cutting. Diamond blades can get sort of clogged, but do not dull as wood or metal cutting blades do. As you use the saw the cutting edge wears away, exposing more diamonds, so you constantly have a new cutting edge. I use mine until the cutting segments are almost totaly gone.
Make sure that you are letting the saw do the work and not pushing down too hard, as this could cause the last bit to break instead of cutting cleanly.

TwoBrothersBrickPavingw
01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
try cutting the face of the material first. Sometimes if you cut from the bottom the blade will chip the concrete.

glaciator
01-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Score 1" in from one side first, then turn the stone around and cut all the way to the score and it won't chip.