PDA

View Full Version : Blades spin constantly....

Stevegotcrabgrass
11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Looking to buy a used mower. I have all the tools and mechanical capabilities to fix any and everything that may go wrong on a mower. I am looking at a 36" Ransomes. Everything seems to be in working order except the blades run constantly. You release the handle and the blades do NOT stop. Before I buy this mower I would like some advice on what this is so I can price out the part. I am guessing there is some sort of linkage that activates a pulley to turn the blades and that is the issue. I never owned a Ransomes So I am not sure. Thanks.

DiyDave
11-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Not knowing the machine in question, first advice is to go on line, and see if you can get a manual. Next, check for proper belt routing, a belt that has flipped over backwards, wrong belt size, idler pulley frozen on its pivot from lack of grease, spring missing on the idler pulley bracket. Just my$.02:waving:

pugs
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Its most likely just an adjustment. Either a belt is dragging all the time or the brake is out of adjustment if it even has one on it. Could have some aftermarket belts that dont quite fit right causing it as well.

unkownfl
11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
belt is to small I bet or the throw pulley is way out of adjustment assuming it has the linkage lever that engages/disengages.

DiyDave
11-10-2009, 06:41 PM
belt is to small I bet or[/B]assuming it has the linkage lever that engages/disengages.

Another definite possibility!

DiyDave
11-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Something goofed on that last post of mine, I meant to quote that the adjustment might be off, as a previous poster said, then the previous poster's post changed, honest, I didn't have that much to drink tonight!:laugh::laugh::drinkup:

fixer67
11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Wrong belt. A belt just a 1/4" off will cause this. I see it all the time with people buying "will-fit" belts from the auto parts store or hardware. Mower belts are odd sizes and the wrong belt will cause it to slip or drag. Check the belt to make sure it is the right one.

chesterlawn
11-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Why are you asking, your post says you can fix anything and everything?

Stevegotcrabgrass
11-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Why are you asking, your post says you can fix anything and everything?

hahah....I can and DO fix everything and anything. I am also smart enough to ask for advice so I don't spin my wheels trying to figure things out. My motto is work smarter not harder. Not knowing much about this mower, I NOW have a starting point thanks to the very many replies.

Stevegotcrabgrass
11-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for your advice.

topsites
11-12-2009, 02:06 AM
When you release / engage the handle...
It pushes a bar from the bottom of the handle down towards the deck.

If the deck has a cover on it, that will have to be removed first.
Then follow this bar visually and it will lead you to the engagement pulley mechanism.

Stevegotcrabgrass
11-12-2009, 09:09 AM
When you release / engage the handle...
It pushes a bar from the bottom of the handle down towards the deck.

If the deck has a cover on it, that will have to be removed first.
Then follow this bar visually and it will lead you to the engagement pulley mechanism.

Thank you. That is how I guessed it worked.