PDA

View Full Version : Electric Clutch Issue

dnrsslr
11-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I have a Ventrac 3000 with the 19hp Kawasaki. It is about eight years old and has nearly 500 hours. This summer, I had a charging issue which is now fixed. When the battery was low, sometimes when I turned on the mower deck (electric clutch) it would not engage. If I turned the switch off and on it would start. Sometimes I would need to do it a few times before it would engage. It has done the same thing to me recently and I think my battery is OK. The battery reads 12.3 volts with the tractor turned off. Does this mean the clutch is going bad?

Thanks in advance!

DiyDave
11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Check your manual, some electric clutches have an air-gap adjustment, that needs to be addressed, as the clutch wears.

dnrsslr
11-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I cannot find anything in the manual about adjusting the air gap. I am waiting on a response from the shop regarding if this clutch has an adjustable air gap.

I noticed in the electric schematic for my tractor there is an "electric clutch relay". Is it possible this is going bad? Since it only fails occasionally, how would I test?

DT Lawn Care
11-10-2009, 11:58 PM
It could also be a bad PTO switch, that is a fairly cheap place to start, instead of going into all your wiring or adjusting your air gap. I would think your air gap would just make it either kick off or not engage when hot. Good Luck

hdtvluvr
11-11-2009, 08:14 AM
I had this problem on a John Deere. With the air gap out of adjustment the PTO will fail to operate sometimes - even when cold. I too thought it was the switch but found out about the air gap on a John Deere forum. I adjusted it and haven't had any problems since.

dnrsslr
11-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks to everyone for your help! I just talked to the repair guy at the dealer. He told me the clutch is adjustable and that is probably my problem! It might be next week before I get a chance to work on this but I will post here with the results.

topsites
11-12-2009, 02:08 AM
The other thing to do, is clean all the electrical contacts.
Could just be some dirt got in one...

East Coast Lawn Choppers
11-12-2009, 09:04 PM
it could be a safety switch or pto switch do you hear any click at all ? if not check for voltage down there. You can go on the scag site and download the parts manual it has a wiring schematic you can trace it there. I would look for a safety that is what we usually find on them that or the pto... check for a fuse too can't remember off hand if there is one that would only effect that I'll have to look at the schematic myself

East Coast Lawn Choppers
11-12-2009, 10:31 PM
thought it was scag for some dumb reason, but still same principals check for voltage at the cluth then work in the right direction from there. Do you hear it click at all

dnrsslr
11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Last night I adjusted the clutch to the recommended .020. I started the tractor, flipped the switch and ... nothing! Then I realized I had flipped the headlight switch instead of the pto switch.:) I flipped the pto switch and it started fine. Actually, it stalled the engine because it was not warm enough. But, after it warmed up and I gave it enough rpms, it worked fine. It also drastically shortened the stopping time.

Thank you to everyone for your help! I think the problem is solved. But, since it was only occasional, I won't really know until a couple of months into next mowing season.

dnrsslr
12-14-2009, 03:22 PM
It now seems the switch is going bad. When I flip the switch on, it sometimes doesn't start until I wiggle the switch or flip it off and back on. I would say the "wiggle" test is a pretty good indication the switch is the problem. So, I need to replace the switch!

mini14
12-14-2009, 11:51 PM
mine started to give me probs, narrowed it down to bad voltage regulator.

cottoncoggin
01-07-2010, 06:25 AM
c/k i think it should be .012 ?

Rexdale Grass
04-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Just quick question were you able to do the adjustment with the clutch still on the mower or did you take it off. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time to take it off or just crawl around under there and geter done.

hdtvluvr
04-03-2010, 11:39 PM
I did mine while it was on the mower. I've read that they can be extremely difficult to remove.

Rexdale Grass
04-04-2010, 12:24 AM
thanks just finished reading some goods and going to tackle it tomorrow on the mower hope all goes well.