PDA

View Full Version : First time Mulcher? Needs Help

MOW ED
04-28-2000, 08:24 AM
I have read the posts on mulching and low and behold a big $$$ previous customer called and wants me to remulch his beds. <br>The installation is 1 yr old with hardwood and he wants cedar over the top. Nothing extra just recover maybe 2-3&quot;. The site has 13 beds, some plantings but young mostly open and trees. Distances are no more than 300-400ft from the pile. Homeowner will have mulch delivered. Oh ya I measured out aprox 8500 sq/ft. <br>I was thinking of doing it myself and charging per hour ($45.00) if I was to get help it would be ($45.00/hr per helper). AmI wrong in doing this? I have seen charges by the yard but 50 yards x 45 per=2250 labor only. Should I bid? Am I too ambitious? Dont mind hard work while its still in the 60's. I need some advise. Thanks. you can e-mail too - balc@gbonline.com<br>

FIREMAN
04-28-2000, 06:01 PM
50 yards is lots of mulch to wheel barrow around...look into subbing this job out to someone with a mulch blower, this way your customer will be happy,the job will look great and you will make some $$$ without lifting a finger, except to dial the phone.

steven Bousquet
04-28-2000, 07:50 PM
thats alot of muclh it takes us all day to blow 50 yards with our bark blower.

FIREMAN
04-29-2000, 10:43 AM
STEVEN....JUST WONDERING...IN YOUR AREA HOW WOULD YOU CHARGE FOR MULCH BLOWING..HOURLY/BY THE YARD.THERES ONLY ONE CO. AROUND HERE THAT DOES IT AND THEY CHARGED ME BY THE YARD + .05$ PER FOOT OF HOSE THEY HAD TO PULL....I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY CHARGED FOR THE HOSE BUT IT WAS BETTER THAN WHEELING 65 YDS AROUND

steven Bousquet
04-30-2000, 07:24 AM
they charge for the hose because the more hose you use length wise the more work it is. depending on the size of the job and the type of mulch prices are between 5 cents to 9 cents per foot the depth of the mulch also makes a big difference, new bed or top dress beds that have been mulch before.

steven Bousquet
04-30-2000, 06:31 PM
thats 50 cents to 90 cents per sq.ft

MOW ED
05-06-2000, 08:43 AM
Did the mulch job yesterday. After some recalculating we came up with 30 yards. It was 84 degrees but the wind was between 15 and 20 mph. Two of us with wheelbarrows did 30 yards cedar mulch ave. 3&quot; to 6&quot; deep in about 6 1/2 hours. Would I do it again?, yep. Would I want to do it every week? I would be in great shape.

Ssouth
05-07-2000, 11:36 PM
Good choice. Did a mulch job last month. My father and I put in 24 yds. in 4 hrs from pulling up to leaving. Not really that hard of work and this was one of the tougher jobs. Mulch is easy and I love to do it. EASY MONEY. Putting in ten yds. tommorow for a neighbor. I never pass on a mulch job.<br>Seems like you made the right choice.