PDA

View Full Version : installing permeable and "green" paver systems

csl
11-10-2009, 10:12 PM
hey everyone, i have been researching green pavers (rubber sidewalks, uni-lock, etc.) for about 3 years now, but poeple up here are reluctant to install. i have talked with the city, the local colleges, various local juridictions. they all say they want to hire us to do a "test" site, 100 or so square feet, but when it comes time to install we can never get a commitment. the city gets tied up in legal b.s. they tell us it must pass their lab testing, even though we provide them with samples and indepenent lab test. so to get to the point... has and does anyone do any of these installs. and if so, how did you get that party to commit. at $20 a square foot to start, most people arent interested in these products. thanks, and God bless the fort hood victims and their families!:usflag:

csl
11-12-2009, 08:50 PM
ok.... no one... the other thing i forgot to mention was that we are getting businesses qualified for leed credits. any comments would be great....

Dreams To Designs
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Are you aware of all the permeable paver work going on in Chicago? They are going more with necessity rather than aesthetics or a good feeling. We are running into many properties that dictate a maximum impermeable surface allotment and has made the use of permeable pavers, concrete and asphalt a must.

One of the most often misunderstood factors about permeable pavement is you must sill deal with the rain that falls on to these surfaces. Some instances can be solved with a simple permeable base structure, because the underlying soil meets the permeability requirements, but often this permeable base acts as a retention device and the water must be collected and dealt with at a single or multiple points. The installation of permeable hardscapes does not magically eliminate a water issue, just like putting a load of river rock in a wet spot or at a downspout doesn't magically absorb the water. If your lucky, the problem just moves to another location, but will still have to be dealt with.

Kirk

csl
11-13-2009, 11:26 AM
yes i understand all the large scale installs going on.. that wasnt my question though. my question was what the best way to get poeple to commit to install these products. my question is for the people that have and do install these products on a regular basis and how they are finding the best way to land these jobs...

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
11-13-2009, 09:54 PM
yes i understand all the large scale installs going on.. that wasnt my question though. my question was what the best way to get poeple to commit to install these products. my question is for the people that have and do install these products on a regular basis and how they are finding the best way to land these jobs...

Subscribing....We did a parking lot that had to have X% of permeable paving to meet the local sewer districts demands, but have come up short at landing more of these jobs. Try a local nursery and see if they will work with you to help land leeds and traffic for both parties. We are talking to a nursery about this and hopefully a waterfeature type rainwater harvesting system. Also talk with your sewer district for ideas. These types of water conservation/management are going to be big and I hope to be on the ground running when it happens.

csl
11-14-2009, 12:20 AM
i am in the same boat as you. i think these are great products and i want to be the one people turn to for installs. as far as nurseries.... most of them are pretty passive, in that they just supply and do not take an active role.. the other industry i am trying to crack into is the major pavers in our area. hopefully they will give us so time to explain the product and try and pursuade major business to install them...

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
11-14-2009, 10:33 AM
I used the nusery for an example since it could be a good place to do a parking lot for display. They are great areas to push the green aspect and you never know who is going to vist a nursery ie: designers, architects, builders etc etc. Regardless if we keep chipping away a big chunk will break sooner or later.

Rex Mann
11-14-2009, 11:10 AM
ICPI has a very good PICP power point out that is designed for the technical decision maker. You can buy it from them. I have used it many times and found it helpful.

ICPI will soon have PICP basic construction classes. First class scheduled during World of Concrete in Vegas early next year. I'll be attending the instructors training December in Chicago.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

csl
11-14-2009, 11:40 AM
thanks for the help. doing a display might not be a bad idea. the unfortunate thing about our area is that it seams we are always a few steps behind what other areas are doing. so lots of people are interested in green building, no one really practices it yet though. thanks again.

Evolving
02-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Has anyone ever installed a gutter drained underground rainwater harvesting system?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Has anyone ever installed a gutter drained underground rainwater harvesting system?

I'm hoping to be selling one to a nursery, but it will be with a permeable parking lot with a holding area. The parking area will supply the water instead of the gutters.