PDA

View Full Version : Need some hedge trimmer suggestions

Craig3
11-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm looking to pick up a hedge trimmer and I was wondering what you guys would suggest.I am adding the service for next year so I don't know how much I'll be using it, but I'd like to go w/ a shindaiwa.

Would you suggest:
double or single sided?
Articulating or fixed blades?
Mid-reach, "traditional" hand held, or a multi-tool system? (I have a chainsaw, but if I went with a multi-tool in the future I could get a pole saw maybe....)

I realize its easier to decide on something if you know the exact use...but what is most flexible?

Central Island Lawn
11-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I use a Husqvarna 326HD60. If you're going to buy just one, I wouldn't buy one on a pole, you get better control and it's easier to do shaping with a smaller unit. That being said the 326 isn't that small, it has a good amount of weight to it but it has a rotating handle for operator comfort, anti-vibration handles, and it starts every time. It has two cutting edges, I find that to be very usefull for trimming several hedges where I cut on the up and down stroke, I rough out the cut on the down stroke and neaten it up on the up stroke, or vise-versa depending on the plant material. I purchased it four years ago and don't see myself replacing it soon, it just needs a tune up and a blade sharpening every spring. If I do need to trim up high I'll either get a ladder, or for the odd time that I actually really need a pole unit I'll rent one for half a day or so. In four years, I haven't been able to justify buying an extended unit. However, I do see the bonus of buying a multi tool system if you're going to use it all the time for various projects. The next trimmer I buy will probably be a multi tool, but I'll always have a hand held unit.
The Husqvarna, at the time, was the most expensive unit available for small hedge trimmers, but it's the best unit I've used, ever.