PDA

View Full Version : Ground prep

EarthWorks
04-15-2000, 09:43 PM
I am in the market for a good ground prep attachment for a skid-steer. I have a case 1840 and 1845. I would like to use the attachment on both. I am doing hydro-seeding and wish to be able to prep the ground. I have looked at pamphlets for the harley power rake and etc. No one in my area knows much about them. All they told me is that they could get one. Does anyone have experience with any brand? Any advice? Can I expect these machines to prep ground that allready has grass and weeds on it?

paul
04-15-2000, 10:07 PM
The harley is a good attachment for the skid steer. But depending on the area you might need a tractor with a tiller or rake to help level it faster, it will take out the grass and weeds but so will a tiller and that will pull them under deeper giving you a better bed.<br>Don't think that on attachment will do it all we have many and are still tring out more.<p>----------<br>paul<br>

Stonehenge
04-15-2000, 11:33 PM
I second that. I've got a Harley, and it's great, but it can't do it all. I tried to use it as a sort of scarifier, and went too deep with the drum and ended up spraying hydraulic fluid all over the place. I'm going to be buying a scarifier this year.

steven Bousquet
04-16-2000, 08:07 AM
just got a Finn groundhog, its a combo tiller leveler,rake. let you know how well it works. using on tuesday

EarthWorks
04-16-2000, 03:48 PM
What did you guys pay for the attachments?

steveair
04-17-2000, 09:14 AM
If you are looking for a scarifier, look into the landpride power rake. It has the option for a hydraulic drop scarifier that mounts in front of the power box. Workd nice. The land pride is a nice unit. When you don't need the scarifiers, you just raise them up and just use the power rake then. Like it better than the harley personally. <p>steveair

EarthWorks
04-19-2000, 09:47 PM
Can anyone give me some prices that they have paid. I have been quoted 6-7k for the harley and 8500 for the finn ground hog. Is the Finn that much better. I am in the market and will have to order one since none of the dealers stock any. Come on ....Tell me what you know.

paul
04-19-2000, 09:52 PM
Ok best I can do is a FFc preperator cost $5600<br>Land Pride 6' rake for tractor cost $4200<br>looked at the web page for Finn used one there for $5500 <p>----------<br>paul<br>

steven Bousquet
04-20-2000, 04:56 AM
i will be using the finn ground hog today, let you know the results. paid 7g for unit and hydro hook-up.

CLM1
04-25-2000, 07:24 AM
O.K. Steve, what's the verdict on the Finn? What did you think?

steven Bousquet
04-25-2000, 08:14 PM
every thing is mud here let you know when soil is dry enough to work it. we had about 7&quot; of rain and no sun to dry anything. looks good on the tractor ,can't wait to use it.

steven Bousquet
04-28-2000, 06:56 PM
still to wet

steven Bousquet
05-03-2000, 09:33 PM
finally got to use the finn ground hog today. very good results, had to pick out the big stone over 10&quot; but anything smaller then 10&quot; cleaned up nice. leaves a smooth ready to seed finish only had to rake up the winrow of stones. I would run a york rake over first to rough grade and get the realy big rocks.