PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 445 rider Mower - Issues - Need Help Please

Just_Rob
11-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi,
I'm fairly new to this site but have been very active on other threads concerning the new Stihl BR600 Magnum I just purchased.

Now I'd like to pick everyones brain about my rider mower, a JD 445, without AWS. It's a 2000 and has approximately 500 hours on it. I'm experiencing some minor issues and need an experts help. I'd like to do the work myself for the gratification and to save some money.

I did a search and used a couple key words but no threads/posts turned up on this site for a 445. And I'm really having a hard time finding anything out on the web. Before I get too involved, should I look elsewhere for help or is this the place? Or can someone from here direct me to another site/forum, or know someone that lives in Northern Harford County, Maryland that might be able to help and make a few extra X-mas bucks...........

Thanks,
Rob

NIXRAY
11-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I'd say go ahead and post what your unit is doing (or not doing!)

Just_Rob
11-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Ok, thanks.

Well, overall, the power seemes to have diminished some since I bought it last year. There is blow-by in the exhaust and when your downwind it get's nausiating, very rich, and some blue/grey smoke (worn rings/oil?). So, if I put 2 and 2 together, loss of power might be a compression problem???

Fluid leaks from the right/rear, but only after the mower has been running a while, and not while it's off (so, it's either under pressure and could be leaking from anywhere, or it's not and gravity is taking over). I've cleaned the gearbox but can't seem to see where the fluid is coming from until it's too late and by then the gear box on the right side is coated.

There is a indicator light in the dash, it looks like a light bulb and has a coiled wire in it, at first it never flashed, but now after a while this flashes (now I know it's a trouble code flash but don't remember the flashes or know what codes to look out for).

When the mower is first started it seems to run fine, but then after a couple hours it seems like all of these things get worse until eventually, even the steering gets really hard when you try to turn the wheel very fast, to the point that it almost wont turn at all.

I used it only twice under these conditions because the first time I just wasn't sure if it was me or what. The second time I realized these things were happening again I put it away and haven't looked at it since.

So, I need to fix this leak, and want to make the engine powerful again. And for the winter snow plowing I should look into this steering thing.

So basically, I'm having some mechanical problems and doing general upgrades, but I can't seem to find any help on the web. Not like I've seen here on this site, which is why I joined. "If you really want to know, ask a pro."

This weekend I could really dig into it, take the seat and sheet metal off to locate the exact spot of the leak, provide pictures, serial numbers, ect. But for now I'd be happy hearing that these things aren't that serious or that they might be better addressed by a qualified service technician, or whatever. I love this 445 with the axle lock feature and hydraulics, power assisted (uh-hem) steering, fuel injection, etc, but right now things are not all well in my neck of the woods.

Thanks,
Rob

Oh, and Also, I'd like to find a place that I can parts from, and sorry to step on any toes, but cheaper than a dealer. I need a hood, and found a new one in the box online for 125 less than the dealer. I could see 20-25 less and would go to the dealer just for the satisfaction of spending more money there but I can't swallow 125.

I also want to buy new tires and wheels. I want to keep the ones I have and run a winter set and don't want to take tires off wheels, etc. Unless that's not a big deal. I plow snow and turf tires even with chains don't cut it. I also want wheel weights for the back and suitcase weight for the front and I fear I will destroy the tranny with the engine the way it is if I don't get it back into tip-top shape, if it's not too late already.

Thank you for your help.
Rob