PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again....the start.....

Steiner
11-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Here is the first of many. Bad lighting, sorry in advance.

Higher end client, nothing huge, just working through my own ideas. Anyone else get started this way? Or maybe you go right to CADD?

-CS

Steiner
11-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Guys what is the secret to taking pics of your drawings? I know scanning is the best but I hate to break out that bad boy!

soopa
11-13-2009, 12:17 AM
nice to see a real drawing, love the "sun-dial"

Dreams To Designs
11-13-2009, 10:48 AM
The photos are fine, both are legible. The second, due to lighting is easier to see. Lighting is the key to taking a photo of a drawing or most any situation. You can also tilt your board to vertical and have the camera on a tripod to compose a full frame shot and get the deep color representation. When all else fails, a trip to a print shop with a large format scanner can't be beat.

After creating a CAD drawing of the baseplan, I still prefer to work on it on the drafting table and let the ideas flow before going back to CAD for presentations. Most of the best design work is done with paper and pencil. Cad offers a consistent and easily changeable image that has an additional advantage of being digital. Being digital allows it to be emailed, to clients or printers and is much easier to manipulate and make changes than hand drawn. Many CAD based design programs offer multiple rendering modes to impress clients, but still create simplified drawings for bids or installation.

Kirk

Steiner
11-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Kirk I use sketchup. What program are you using?

-Chris

mrusk
11-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Loose the arrows.

Steiner
11-13-2009, 08:52 PM
The arrows are for preliminary direction of travel work ups. I find it easier to work through the placement of features when you know the flow of traffic and where furniture is located.

This is not the finished design, merely a way to think of everything that might come up.

Design is in the details.

PaperCutter
11-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Going right to CAD gives me tunnel vision, because I'm never seeing the big picture. The farther I take it on trace before drafting it in CAD, the happier I am.

I've actually had really good luck taping a drawing to the wall, and standing back and taking a digital photo. If the tape on the corners bothers me, a few clicks in Photoshop fixes that. I can't justify paying Kinkos' price for large-format color scans, and the local reprographics place closed, so I'm all about the alternatives.

Groomer
11-14-2009, 10:13 PM
did Rusk mean lose the arrows, or Foose the arrows? (Chip).

Dreams To Designs
11-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Chris, I use Pro landscape by Drafix. It allows me to create a baseplan, quickly and easily, print it out and literally go to the drawing board. I agree with Dave, CAD can give you tunnel vision. I prefer to let my ideas flow and concept on paper at the drafting table, and then render the plan in CAD.

I do use Sketchup, and it does well in presenting an idea, especially hardscapes. Pro Landscape has an excellent image creator and allows complete 3D motion and capture. Clients really like to see how your ideas will play out on a photo of their homes.

I also use arrows in my concept plans as a way to identify good flow, but they never make it past the concept drawings, except for stair descriptors. Like the North arrow, I use something similar on my plans.

Kirk

Steiner
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks Kirk!

Dreams To Designs
11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Any time!

Feel encouraged to post any design questions, tips or tricks for all to read and learn.

Kirk

oakhillslandscaping
11-18-2009, 08:22 PM
those huge arrows ruin your drawing, i would recomend you use parts of the pattern of the patio you intend to use and fade it into the drawing thats how i was taught in design, that and strengthen your lines. when i hand draw i make about 7 drawings before i finish my rough draft make your plants more noticeable, try tracing or using "entourage" and stipple your grass

Steiner
11-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Oak can you show me a few of your stippling techniques and entourage? Not sure I follow you on entourage?

_chris