PDA

View Full Version : Insurance & Hiring Employees

Lawn Witch
11-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Our very small family owned business is now looking to expand in 2010. Finally now that our son will be graduating from high school & career & tech specializing in the landscape field as well as his friend who has been studying masonry which will make a great addition to our company. We need your advice in the following areas:

Hiring (paid by the hour or sub-contractor using a 1099 form)
Insurance ( workers comp, liability ins etc how much coverage)
Home Office Use (has anyone had to go thru zoning for this)
Getting Licensed (I checked into this before & it wasn't required for a small company)
Software (currently using quicken home premier 2008) I have seen alot of you guys recommend quickbooks is there much difference in the programs

Any veterans advice would be greatly appreciated!

mtchockey30
11-13-2009, 12:57 PM
MARK Wondering some of those questions myself.

lukemelo216
11-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I would move this over to the business forms you will get a lot better answers there, or talk to your accountant. They will tell you all you need to know. If you dont have one, Id get one.

AI Inc
11-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Hiring (paid by the hour or sub-contractor using a 1099 form)
Insurance ( workers comp, liability ins etc how much coverage)
Home Office Use (has anyone had to go thru zoning for this)
Getting Licensed (I checked into this before & it wasn't required for a small company)
Software (currently using quicken home premier 2008) I have seen alot of you guys recommend quickbooks is there much difference in the programs

!

Hiring, there are strict rules as to who is a sub and who is an employee.
Subs need their own tools , insurance and are to be paid by the job , ot the hr. Others will disagree , trust me on this.
Comp, will be priced on your amount of payroll. They will bill you off of an estimate and then rebill you after an audit at yrs end.
Liability , depends on what your doing for work, some commercial accounts will tell you what the min you can have is. Typicaly $500k will suffice.
Licenes depends on where you are located , some do, some dont.
Never used home premeire , but quickbooks is good , fast and easy , althouh they will constantly try to sell you upgrades.
Hope this helps ya .