PDA

View Full Version : Scag Oil 19 Kai

4-Seasons
11-13-2009, 11:55 PM
How long would it take for 2 quarts of oil to burn out in a 19 Kai on a Scag 48?

I MOW ALONE
11-14-2009, 12:15 AM
i will take a stab at it how about 10 hours :laugh::laugh::laugh::hammerhead:

Restrorob
11-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Can we assume you are actually speaking about the extra 1/4 quart you've been adding at oil changes ?

East Coast Lawn Choppers
11-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Do you mean to burn all the oil out and run dry or just that you put too much in and want it to go down to the full mark. Ours we change oil and at next oil change they are still on the full mark. Does yours burn a lot or lose a lot or ? what is the question. We rebuild ours if they start using any oil or loosing any oil...

4-Seasons
11-15-2009, 07:30 PM
We are kinda of ashame to say but our mower stopped working and we took it to shop. They said it was bone dry on oil. This is our second season with the scag. We ran it on one oil change last year and changed it in april of this year. I know we should of checked out oil but i never knew it could burn out of oil like that. Just seeing how much people change their oil and if it could burn out like that.

East Coast Lawn Choppers
11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
How many hours do you put on your oil changes ? We change ours every 50 hrs. with a filter (they say 100 in the scag manual). I'd rather spend a few dollars on oil that on a rebuild or engine replacement. We rebuild a lot of Kawasaki engines. We just got done rebuilding two 19hp KAI engines off of huskies that only have 300 and 400 hours on them (i wonder if the meters were unpluged) and they were smoking bad. They both have never had an oil change, the oil filter looked like it was filled with grease the oil got so bad. Rings were stuck tight. what a mess change oil frequently it pays in the long run. At least in my opinion.

4-Seasons
11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Just got my bill came to $1000. Crankshaft, Carburater-ASSY, Labor. For now on i am checking my oil everytime i put gas in it. THis is crazy..

DT Lawn Care
11-17-2009, 08:45 PM
The KAI series is notorious for burning and leaking oil. Best to keep your eye on the oil level.

djagusch
11-21-2009, 09:05 PM
We are kinda of ashame to say but our mower stopped working and we took it to shop. They said it was bone dry on oil. This is our second season with the scag. We ran it on one oil change last year and changed it in april of this year. I know we should of checked out oil but i never knew it could burn out of oil like that. Just seeing how much people change their oil and if it could burn out like that.

I check the oil at the first stop of the day, change the oil/filter at 50 hrs, and check the air filter on Mondays. Once the oil starts to burn more than normal (on the daily checks) it's time to change the oil also.

By the way you need to grease the front wheel bearings and spindles at least every 50 hrs (I do two pumps each zerk on Mondays).