PDA

View Full Version : What tractor to use mowing steep slopes?

ropinghorns
11-14-2009, 09:35 AM
I am biding on a brushogging job to monthly mow several of the steepest slopes I have seen anywhere. It has been mowed for years by other pros, but I have not done anything like this. I am willing to add dualls or new equipt. if needed. Thanks for your opinions that will keep me from turning over. www.lantermantractor.com

howierd3866
11-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Did you see what the last company were using that would help you. Also how long of passes are they and how wide are the slopes.How often do they want them cut.

RAlmaroad
11-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I'd advise you to bush-hog up and down the sloop with the bush-hog completely down; even if you have to go around to a more level place and go up the hill. Never sideways. A bush-hog exerts a great gyroscopic force as in autopilots on boats and planes which tend to pull it in a straight line. That sideways motions is very dangerous.
Roy

malblackbelt05
11-14-2009, 03:08 PM
The last steep slope I saw being mowed was done with a 4 wheel drive tractor with lots of weight on the front and he just kept his mower deck up at 4 -5 inches... He's alot crazier than I am though... you couldn't even walk on the slope he went straight up and down too

ropinghorns
11-14-2009, 08:23 PM
This is a large company that pays well. A guy can pay for his tractor in one summer with this job. Some of the slopes have a water filled ditch at the bottom. They are all at least 100 yards long and around 50 feet to the bottom. How about fluid in my tires?

Two Seasons
11-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd stick with a walk hydro, but that's just me.

You can get a lot done with a 52" walk.

ropinghorns
11-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Never heard of one. Can you tell me about it?

howierd3866
11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
ropinghorn...did you see what the last company use for equipment.As for the tractor in your pic. would not use it because of loader on front. I cant seem to downlaod my pics from here because I already have them on here. So please feel free to look at them on my profile infor for what we use this is the type of work we do everyday.They must have alot of slopes to beable to pay off a machine in one year. If you got any Pics that would help. As for us we mowed side to side and not up and down. 1)up and down takes too long plus some you dont have a choice of being able to go up them.

ropinghorns
11-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I do not know what they use now but the place does not like the service they give. I was wanting to look at dual wheels on a zturn mower. What do ya think?

howierd3866
11-15-2009, 07:49 PM
without see the slopes I would say no. Only because the slope we do are slope meaning dual rears and even some with front dual on 75 to 110 hp tractors.remember running slope we fill all oil over fill point to make up for the slope not all zturn can deal with that.

howierd3866
11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
just a few we use

ropinghorns
11-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Howeird, How weird, You are the man!!!!!! In Oklahoma they use that kind of equipt. on road rite of ways. I may have to take off my FEL to avoid the high center of gravity, but should I add fluid to the tires?

howierd3866
11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
just in the front tires it just serve as front weight.also think about duals on rear..one slope you said is about 100 yds long and about 50ft wide but how many slopes are there.

ropinghorns
11-15-2009, 10:33 PM
6 or 7 ditches and retenchen ponds. I liked the idea of a 50 or 60 inch walk behind too. I ran those old Gravelys when I was in highschool 1965. I am sure there is some way to find out what the other guys have been using too, but I do not want to let them know about the new bidder. lol

irish01ed
11-27-2009, 10:08 AM
What kind of grass/conditions are you mowing? I would invest in a hydro walkbehind mainly because it has other uses. If its rightofway, or the look doesnt have to be perfect, you can use a brushcat (essentially a bobcat with a brushhog on front) I've mowed some steep stuff with those and they work great and get the job done. Best part is you can rent them (T300 preferably but a t200 works) for a couple hundred so no need to make expensive purchase.

Note: With the brushcat you would be mowing sideways

ropinghorns
11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I only need to mow them once per month, so a guy told me the walkbehind would not mow the taller grass well. Is that so? The track Bobcat skidsteers would be great if nothing else would work.. Grass is mostly bermuda.

irish01ed
11-27-2009, 11:27 AM
You may be able to use a walkbehind depending on growth rate, conditions (water/sun/etc) and of course cutting height. The problem with the walkbehind that i didnt think abotu before, is that if its high and wet (even with a heavy dew) you may have slipping issue. Bobcat also makes a flail cutter which provides a finer cut but I prefer the brushcat due to weight/helps stabilize bobcat

Let me caution you (you may already know this but...) you should already be proficient in using a bobcat and I'd suggest mowing a field/small slopes with the brushcat to get the feel of it. You also have to keep the brushcat pointed up hill and turn up hill/back down the hill. If you point the brushcat down hill its very hard to get it facing back up.

Two Seasons
11-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Cutting bermuda, once per month, would be tough for anything out there.

If you have the time, cut it every ten days (it will look 500x better than once a month and could be done with a 50-60+ inch walk-behind mower). You did mention they aren't happy with the current lawn care provider or the look of the slopes when they finish the job right now. Only way to get a much improved look is to mow more frequently.

Another consideration for the walk-behind is that you can double up on the rear wheels/tires to maintain better control. Just requires long hub wheel studs to get it done.