PDA

View Full Version : Old wheel horse -24 onan not running?

Steve's Used Iron
11-14-2009, 11:29 AM
I got this old 1994 Wheenhorse It is a great old machine. I tis old but for 6 weeks a year is all i need from it. It was runing great with the mulching plate and takes piles of leaves and turns them into dust !

My problem is that now it will run great cold snd runs for 15 minutes then ...putters and dies? I have run some AMSOIL POWER FOAM throught the carb but it will keep it running but not stay running?

I put a new fuel filter, air cleaner

ANY IDEAS ?

Vaccum leak ?

Thanks

Steve
Email is steve@stevesusediron.com

:dizzy:

Steve's Used Iron
11-14-2009, 11:30 AM
yea sorry, i should have proof read it ..sorry guys

Steve

topsites
11-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Two things that come to mind...

Some dirt making the floating bowl mechanism stick, I would check this out first.
Ignition coil / module going bad, although on that old an engine it could be a points system, in that case they make DIY rebuild kits for it usually.

Restrorob
11-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Does it start right back up after shutting down or do you have to wait a little bit before it will re-start ?

Steve's Used Iron
11-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Sometimes you have to wait and it will run for like 1 minute and other times it is dead for 15-20 minutes.

It has been at the Dealer since monday at 4...but they are telling mne that get it to rum more than 15min and they have Snow Plows to install ?? WTF !

Restrorob
11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Well,

You have to determine if it's shutting down from lack of spark or lack of fuel, I'm not sure what your dealers problem is but in that 15 minute run time I'd know where to go in repairing it......

Steve's Used Iron
11-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Also, the dealer said that it might have jumped time ?

ok then why does it run great for 15 min ? now it will start to surge..then it dies but with the air cleaner off when it starts to surge i spray some AMSOIL POWER FOAM and it will run of that ?

part of me thinks it is a Vacuum leak ?? maybe i am wrong ....

Thanks,

Steve

Restrorob
11-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Also, the dealer said that it might have jumped time ?

If it has it wouldn't run fine for 15 minutes.

ok then why does it run great for 15 min ? now it will start to surge..then it dies but with the air cleaner off when it starts to surge i spray some AMSOIL POWER FOAM and it will run of that ?

That's tells you it's not ignition/spark related, Maybe because it's running out of fuel. Plugged vent in the fuel cap or possibly a faulty fuel pump ?

part of me thinks it is a Vacuum leak ?? maybe i am wrong ....

Thanks,

Steve

Can you apply the choke and keep it running ?

BTW, You can drop the caps on your Amsoil crap.....I'm not buying it.

Steve's Used Iron
11-14-2009, 10:57 PM
NO not trying to mean anything by it on the amsoil stuff.

yes it will chug and chug on FULL CHOKE to get it back to the trailer.

Restrorob
11-14-2009, 11:12 PM
OK Steve,

You or somebody needs to check what I posted above "Plugged vent in the fuel cap or possibly a faulty fuel pump" ?

Without any engine numbers posted and being a 94 unit I'm assuming it's a performer series engine with the impulse pump on the flywheel cover, At any rate someone needs to check the fuel system while it's acting up.....

Steve's Used Iron
11-14-2009, 11:32 PM
yes, it has the pump on the side of the engine cover.

The engine is a 1996 it was replaced in 1996 ..that pump is probbally 8 years old. But I only run it for about 6 weeks in the fall.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Steve

Steve's Used Iron
11-19-2009, 07:09 PM
yea, it has been close to 3 weeks, still now word from them they said they would get to it this week ....WOW what is so hard ?

cclllc
11-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Is it a 724 Z? I have one with the same problem except I replaced my 24 hp because it kept blowing valve seats.It now has a Kohler 18 hp magnum which seems to be fine for the 50 in. deck.

Steve's Used Iron
11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Yes, it is a 724Z I have a 60" deck. It is still taken apart at the dealer. What kind of engine do I get to replace it being it has a horizontal shaft ?

cclllc
11-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Yes, it is a 724Z I have a 60" deck. It is still taken apart at the dealer. What kind of engine do I get to replace it being it has a horizontal shaft ?

I used an 18 hp horizonal shaft kohler magnum series. I had to add a plate to mount it to and rubber spacers to get it up to the gear box level.Works great!

Steve's Used Iron
11-22-2009, 09:37 PM
The ENGINE is of off it and they are saying it is may bee a timing thing ? i would not be surprised but i am almost finished with all my cleanups ...but boy i missed it . That machine really kicks A-S for us.

cclllc
11-24-2009, 07:00 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/images/pics/Toro-724Z-a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp%3FBrand%3DToro%26Model%3D724Z&usg=__mWLuL3qA55loBxs4pnx33-LuMcY=&h=262&w=350&sz=26&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=sRXp2dfZs4c9kM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3D724Z%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7DKUS%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

cclllc
12-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Pic I had too from an ad out of a magazine years ago.

betmr
12-13-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't know if you fixed it or not, but sounds like DIRTY CARBURETOR to me

Steve's Used Iron
12-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Well, the dealer we have it at has put it in there storage facility and will work on itwhen they get slow in the winter??? so they say.

I bet it is the carb also.

betmr
12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
If I were you, I'd pick it up and clean the carb myself, it's really an easy fix, most people have been taught it was real complicated. Take it off, take it apart, clean it good with carb choke cleaner, put 'er back togeather, mount it back on. BINGO, your good to go. All it does is mix air and fuel, just, when those little passages inside clog up because old gas turned to varnish, the air and fuel don't flow right.

Steve's Used Iron
12-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Well i kinda of did that i took the air-horn off and blew it with some compressed air. It will run for a bit but, not for long.

Thing is i do not need it till April any way.

betmr
12-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Well i kinda of did that i took the air-horn off and blew it with some compressed air. It will run for a bit but, not for long.

Thing is i do not need it till April any way.

Just so you know, you are not cleaning the Carburetor, by cleaning the ventury (The passage from air cleaner to intake manifold) The trouble is inside i.e. The float bowl, the fuel inlet needle port, the idle mixture and high speed ports & screens associated with them, and all the passages inside.

Old gasoline turns to Varnish over time, this Varnish gums up these tiny passages, when left in the Carb for long periods of time, restricting the fuel flow. This is why most manufacturers recommend draining the fuel & running the engine out of gas, for long term storage.

Mowingman
12-13-2009, 07:13 PM
That is one of the machines that Dixie Chopper made for them and painted red.