PDA

View Full Version : Website up and first install of the year completed!

umpire
11-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Did our first installation of the season and went well but took longer than I estimated. Actually you dont realize how difficult and time consuming it can be until you do your first installation of the season and it all comes back to you! I would rather do one huge job for a price that I deserve than a bunch of small jobs that have homeowners that dont understand why they are being charged so much. Anyways I have another huge install next week and a few more medium ones trickling in. I have my website finally up and would like your opinion on it http://www.christmaslightcreations.net/ . I decided to go with a quick to the point website rather than a long drawn out 5 pager. I still have a slideshow that will be on it shortly. The guy that created it is working on it now. Thanks and tell me what you think!

hotrod1965
11-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Your font is hard to read, and I wouldn't put my cell phone number on my webpage. All sorts of sales people are going to call you once they see you page. I'd rather have that go to my office phone than to my cell.

addictedtolandscaping
11-15-2009, 04:51 AM
I agree, especially with the cell phone aspect. I even have my office phone rolling over to an answering service right now. Works out great, I timed it one night, by the time the phone would ring 4 tines - set that way then answering machine kicks in, the out going would play, then the person can leave their message, I had received the text message notification that there was a message pending. I call in on my office number to get my messages, the operator is very professional, friendly and courteous. Worth every bit of the $30.00 a month.

PressureWashE
11-16-2009, 11:46 PM
congrats on the first job of the season, I did mine the other day, and did take longer than I thought, but we are still rusty from the year before, The website will do little for you with the 1 page set up you have going on, The font is hard to read and there is no real call to action.

David Gretzmier
11-17-2009, 07:37 AM
I have to admit, I like the blinking lights. I agree with the font thing, but I think it is ok to do your cell if you can answer it and close a job or two. The elf swinging by a light string...

umpire
11-20-2009, 08:09 PM
I want to thank you for your opinions. I dont really get the comments about the font being hard to read. I mean the more I look at it I guess it can be a little difficult but not terrible. As far as my website being a one pager I wanted to get straight to the point this year instead of going on and on about how great we are and what we do different than the other guys. I have looked at a bunch of competitors websites and they all say the same thing. The average person looks at a website about 50 seconds so thats why I am so short with my information. This is what we do and lets get it done! Thanks

hotrod1965
11-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Read the book "dont make me think". Good for helping design a website and how people look at websites.

360ci
11-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Read the book "dont make me think". Good for helping design a website and how people look at websites.

I agree. I prefer graphics only where necessary, and let them choose where they want to go on a text based navigation. I designed my websites in HTML using Notepad out of all things. Takes me maybe twenty minutes to get a basic page up and running, another 20 minutes to edit photos to fit and text graphics for navigation, etc. It's simple and I've been told by even elderly people that it's easy to navigate to find information.