PDA

View Full Version : carrier racks

klsgc
11-14-2009, 11:34 PM
This is a very simple question here. I don't need Larry telling me that the T3k is awesome because it can fit on a carrier rack. Well, so can every other machine. I've seen it done. What I'm wondering is if you are using a rack when going down the road, do you need to use a hopper cover to keep the wind from blowing the fert out of the hopper?

amerigreen
11-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Yes, the fertilizer will blow out at higher speeds. The biggest problem is when you hit a bump in the road with the hopper close to full, it can be a mess.

indyturf
11-14-2009, 11:54 PM
with the price of fertilizer you gotta use a hopper cover.... or you see little $$ flying out when you go over 40mph!!!!

Josh.S
11-15-2009, 03:45 AM
Normally I keep less than 100lbs of fert in my hopper (which is a spyker 220) so I don't really need the hopper cover for driving around town or anything. When I get on the highway or something I'll throw it on, don't really know if I need to though or not.

rcreech
11-15-2009, 08:35 AM
YES

That is a very good idea~!

lawn king
11-15-2009, 09:38 AM
I always keep the covers on.

turfcobob
11-15-2009, 12:59 PM
I would cover any fert container to cut down on the time spent chatting with local and state employees. Plus it saves money in lost fert.

americanlawn
11-15-2009, 03:06 PM
The T3000 is NOT "awesome" merely because it can easily be transported on a carrier rack. (I know of at least seven T3000's being used in my town).

Some LCO's used to run PG's, Z's, etc, yet many in my state are changing over to T's. And it's not just because of carrier rack capabilities.

Question: You say "every other machine" can be (safely):confused: transported on a carrier rack.......Which ones? Which units do you have experience with?

Asking if a spreader cover is a good thing...........:confused:

Not trying to pick on you, but our Spyker spreaders have never lost a cover while driving at interstate speeds. And I don't care what brand of ride-on or push spreader one is using. IMO Spykers rule. Been running Spykers for over ten years.

BTW I don't "need" you either. I never told you what to do. Dig your own grave due to your lack of experience. :usflag:

This is a very simple question here. I don't need Larry telling me that the T3k is awesome because it can fit on a carrier rack. Well, so can every other machine. I've seen it done. What I'm wondering is if you are using a rack when going down the road, do you need to use a hopper cover to keep the wind from blowing the fert out of the hopper?

grassman177
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
always use a cover always

jbturf
11-15-2009, 08:02 PM
its definately good practice to keep a hopper cover on all the time,
i learned the hard way in my early years, hit a pot hole and about 100 lbs of fert went
everywhere

i also secure the turn on linkage, flow control, gate opening or whatever you wanna call it
to keep it from kicking on during transport

br549oicu8
11-15-2009, 08:44 PM
If anyone needs training on pulling a trailer let me know. Unsure why folks seem to think pulling a trailer is such a big deal. You can carry more product and don't risk the breaking of a carrier which is much more likely than a true trailer.
I don't care what spreader you decide on, a trailer makes good sense, especially if you have a big workload.

AND...always keep a cover on the hopper!!

klsgc
11-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks all for answering.
I have 2 machines that we pull in enclosed trailers and I was kicking around the idea of using a rack, but I don't think I could fit enough product in my 1 ton pick up very easily. I also love the set up on those in between days where it may rain for 5 minutes out of every hour. Everything stays dry, just drive back in the trailer and wait it out. Sorry larry, I respect your business and the machines you run, but this is not debate class. not gonna go there. btw, what makes you think i'm inexperienced? I've never used a cover unless its sprinkling and have never had problems. I was just wondering about going down the road.

rcreech
11-15-2009, 09:49 PM
I have 2 machines that we pull in enclosed trailers and I was kicking around the idea of using a rack, but I don't think I could fit enough product in my 1 ton pick up very easily. I also love the set up on those in between days where it may rain for 5 minutes out of every hour. Everything stays dry, just drive back in the trailer and wait it out. Sorry larry, I respect your business and the machines you run, but this is not debate class. not gonna go there. btw, what makes you think i'm inexperienced? I've never used a cover unless its sprinkling and have never had problems. I was just wondering about going down the road.

What do you mean you can't fit enough product on a 1 ton truck?????

Read post 44 in the link below as Larry treated 39 acres in 8.5 hours with 1 guy, 1 T-3000 and 1 truck! :)

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250351&page=5

grass4gas
11-16-2009, 04:50 PM

I have a 3500 chevy flatbed which I carry 2-200 gallon tanks. I also use a carrier rack for my PG, and this leaves me enough room for my fert and stuff. I don't do alot of large properties, so I don't need to carry a ton of fert. I like the carrier rack because of some tight areas that I work, and for me it is just easier.

Jack

americanlawn
11-16-2009, 06:37 PM
RC, Are you saying Mason and I are liars?

What do you mean you can't fit enough product on a 1 ton truck?????

Read post 44 in the link below as Larry treated 39 acres in 8.5 hours with 1 guy, 1 T-3000 and 1 truck! :)

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250351&page=5

grassman177
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
no debates, no non onononononononno no ahhahhha

grassman177
11-16-2009, 07:01 PM
i know what he means by not fitting enough material. when i go out in the spring especially i carry 1-2 palletts of fert, that is not going to work in a truck alone!!

when fully loaded with liquid in tank and all fert on trialer. i can get764,000 sqt done approx without returning to the shop for more. it is about production and what you need for the properties you maintain. i started with a tank truck and a basket on the back with push spreader on it. fert went in the back in the leftover area of the bed, you cant go too far like this, jsut not enough room really

br549oicu8
11-16-2009, 07:47 PM

I do have one question. What rate are you putting the granular fert down with the T-3000?
I was calculating that out and it seems like a lot of fert to carry on a one ton truck at our rates.

Curious....

rcreech
11-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Do you see anywhere in my post where I said that?

I simple stated that you could treat 39 acres with 1 pickup!

I am not sure how you physically did it as I could never do that (especially in a 8.5 hour day) but I never called you a liar!

ted putnam
11-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Do you see anywhere in my post where I said that?

I simple stated that you could treat 39 acres with 1 pickup!

I am not sure how you physically did it as I could never do that (especially in a 8.5 hour day) but I never called you a liar!

:laugh::laugh: truth-stretcher, fabricator, sh!t talker but never the "L" word:laugh::laugh:

klsgc
11-17-2009, 12:02 AM
WOW! 39 acres! you must make a lot of money. I don't know what kind of aftermarket add ons you have on your pickups, but even if there was enough room in the bed I sure can't fit all that weight in. Just for some rough figures:
1/4 gal nozzles= 419.25 gal=3354lbs
3bags/acre=117bags=2.925 pallets=5850lbs
machine=500lbs?
rack=250lbs?
Misc backpacks, other stuff and me=300lbs
Total 10254lbs. thats a lot of weight for a 1 ton. Don't quote me here, but I think they are supposed to handle around 5k maybe? You want to talk about carrying ride-ons safely, this don't sound to safe to me.

rcreech
11-17-2009, 08:07 AM
i know what he means by not fitting enough material. when i go out in the spring especially i carry 1-2 palletts of fert, that is not going to work in a truck alone!!

when fully loaded with liquid in tank and all fert on trialer. i can get764,000 sqt done approx without returning to the shop for more. it is about production and what you need for the properties you maintain. i started with a tank truck and a basket on the back with push spreader on it. fert went in the back in the leftover area of the bed, you cant go too far like this, jsut not enough room really

I hear ya!

With my box truck I can carry 2 ton of fert and 300 gallon of H2O.

I can do right at 30 acres/fill with the truck. It is all the truck wants weight wise...but it get's r done on those really big days. I have hit 30 acres in a regular day running 2 machines (PG and Z) out of the truck.

grassman177
11-17-2009, 01:14 PM
nice, i calculated at over 17 acres per fill when i am doing liquid apps with my figures above, i run 1/2 gal tips and like it that way, but i know i could get more out of a tank going lower app rate, but fear control and fert burn as the fert is liquid too. either way, i like the 1/2 gal coverage . i am not sure i could save that much time going to a smaller ai tip as i rarely go fill up again unless it is the day i do all my very large acreage lawns

MnLefty
11-17-2009, 01:56 PM
nice, i calculated at over 17 acres per fill when i am doing liquid apps with my figures above, i run 1/2 gal tips and like it that way, but i know i could get more out of a tank going lower app rate, but fear control and fert burn as the fert is liquid too. either way, i like the 1/2 gal coverage . i am not sure i could save that much time going to a smaller ai tip as i rarely go fill up again unless it is the day i do all my very large acreage lawns

What type of fertilizer and N rates are you applying, if you don't mind me asking? 1/2 gal coverage is enough to scare a lot of guys on the fertilizer. I would guess you're either talking about pretty low rates, or else a stabilized product like uflexx?

americanlawn
11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
First property = one pound fert per K (44-0-0 25% XCU) plus spraying where necessary.
2nd property = spray only (100% spray coverage). No fert.

Both properties are located within one mile of our shop where he had to refill the main tank. So it was pretty easy (except for the long hours).

We use 2500HD Chevy trucks with dual receiver carrier racks.

NOTE: When we have large accounts located miles away, we send a 2500HD to meet up & refill. (It's all about planning and checking the weather forecast regarding wind & rain as to which properties we treat).

I admit that I made things sound unfeasable, but we have treated a handful of large accounts this way. Equipment can only do so much. After that, it's smart management. IMO

Throw in "test parts/equipment", and there you go. Not sure, but I think all T3000 test products are available on their 2010 models. Hope so, cuz we just received one.

Final note: I personally have great respect for Z-Spray units.

I do have one question. What rate are you putting the granular fert down with the T-3000?
I was calculating that out and it seems like a lot of fert to carry on a one ton truck at our rates.

Curious....

rcreech
11-17-2009, 07:32 PM
First property = one pound fert per K (44-0-0 25% XCU) plus spraying where necessary.
2nd property = spray only (100% spray coverage). No fert.

Both properties are located within one mile of our shop where he had to refill the main tank. So it was pretty easy (except for the long hours).

We use 2500HD Chevy trucks with dual receiver carrier racks.

NOTE: When we have large accounts located miles away, we send a 2500HD to meet up & refill. (It's all about planning and checking the weather forecast regarding wind & rain as to which properties we treat).

I admit that I made things sound unfeasable, but we have treated a handful of large accounts this way. Equipment can only do so much. After that, it's smart management. IMO

Throw in "test parts/equipment", and there you go. Not sure, but I think all T3000 test products are available on their 2010 models. Hope so, cuz we just received one.

Final note: I personally have great respect for Z-Spray units.

Larry,

What "test parts/equipment" made you go so much faster?

The 12 ft boom is the same as your boomless pattern...so you didn't gain any spray width did you?

grassman177
11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
oh, aswering the ? above for me--- i use stablized N in liquid form and i ran it lighter this year due to above average growth this spring. it is a 28-0-0 N 70% SR chain, micbrobial breakdown mainly. put it this spring at 5 gal per100K. light i know, but we also give organic Fe, K, P, and some micros and humics. usually i run the N source at 10 gal per 100K( oh yeah, all at 1/2 gal per K app rate)

americanlawn
11-18-2009, 06:50 PM
RC - Using the boom allowed us to spray anywhere from 1/4 gal per K up to one gallon per K (or more) depending on the pressure setting (quick adjustment, and it takes about 1 second to change). The heavy spray volume came in handy when we sprayed tall grass properties cuz it provided adequate leaf coverage on weeds. The boom can be installed or removed in about one minute. Aux tank too.

Other test products were in regard to impeller speed/spread width, steering, bearings, springs, etc, etc.

BTW our latest T3000 was shipped last Thursday....we got it the next morning at 9:00 a.m. We needed this 3rd unit cuz we're continuing to switch "push spreader lawns" to "ride-on" accounts.

Main reason we're running T's is due to their versatility (small lawns, hilly ones, and large accounts). We run them everyday so they are always making us money, cuz they don't break down (no rust either). I remember "parking" our PG's cuz they broke down alot. This year, our T's were being used everyday (except for about a day when we installed test parts). Again, I know Z-Sprays are top notch, but we can't use them on as many properties compared to TURFCO's T3000.

For further info regarding 2010 models, options, etc, please call TURFCO. They know a whole lot more than we do. We just use 'em everyday (transported on carrier racks).

robertsturf
11-18-2009, 06:59 PM
I have met Larry personally and I have seen his set up and I would not say that he is any of the things people are saying about him. Not to come to his defense, because he is a big boy, I just wonder why when certain subjects come up the first thing everyone fires on is, this is not for Larry to compare the T or Z to or....... He has done his homework and they all work hard up there. So please lets just stick to the original question and leave it at that for once. I think "some" people are envious of his company and set-up. I am sure there are companies here that are quite large and would put all of us to shame, this is just my 2 cents!!!

grassman177
11-18-2009, 07:57 PM
i am friends with Larry on here at least( never met him) and well, sometimes he prods a bit and sales pitches the turfco units more than some care to hear. really that is the main thing guiys pick on him about, not his set ups or knowledge or products used. And so be it, that is ok by me. You may be right roberts to some degree, i can see that as a valid reason behind some of the actions and words on here.

br549oicu8
11-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I have met Larry personally and I have seen his set up and I would not say that he is any of the things people are saying about him. Not to come to his defense, because he is a big boy, I just wonder why when certain subjects come up the first thing everyone fires on is, this is not for Larry to compare the T or Z to or....... He has done his homework and they all work hard up there. So please lets just stick to the original question and leave it at that for once. I think "some" people are envious of his company and set-up. I am sure there are companies here that are quite large and would put all of us to shame, this is just my 2 cents!!!

I bet you are right and have an advantage knowing him personally. He does invite a lot of what he gets, though. Maybe Larry gets more than he deserves at times, but he is a pretty good instigator, too. He seems to be very knowledgeable and has a keen business sense, and that is excellent. Sometimes all of us should just hold back what we post and move on. I am doing my best to stay quiet on a T-thread and hoping Larry can do the same on a Z-thread. Seems fair to me.

rcreech
11-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I am good friends with Larry, have met him in person (I was part of the "original" A TEAM) and think a lot of his business and what he does everyday.

We talk on the phone and PM each other a lot!

I think a lot of the guy...but if I want to question him on something I will...just like anymore is more then welcome to question me on anything I say.

I guess just because I can barely do 25+ acres/day with a bigger machine I am going to question someone that says they can do 39 acres with 1 machine.

I don't care how big his business is or how much I know him...I still can't fatham it getting done. Not calling him a liar...but just don't have a clue how he did it with ONE machine!

americanlawn
11-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks all. I've been trying to get off the T3000 "promotion" thing for awhile ('bout time).....Just wanted folks to compare before they buy. We are totally sold on these (T3000) units cuz they work for us, and my guys enjoy running GMC/Chevy 2500HD's.

My original post was, "I wish TURFCO would make a ride-on spreader/sprayer".

Then turfcobob showed us one. We were immediately amazed at it's capabilities, so "We bought the first production unit".

I knew at that time we were taking a chance......especially asking 'others' to buy one. (thanks A-Team members)

Bottom line: We are in the same boat as the "Show me State". TURFCO "showed" us, and their units have allowed us our most profitable year ever.

This post has been reviewed and approved by 3 of our T3000 operators.

grassman177
11-19-2009, 12:11 AM
it is like mowers, one is not better just different. we love ford trucks, always have.

wait till you see the pics of the deal we got on a used in good condition truck that is going to be our 1 tom dump!!!! will post that later but getting back to the discussion. um, where were we? and what were we talking about?:)

americanlawn
11-19-2009, 06:24 PM
That's what happens when you drive Ford's. :laugh:

(Good used one ton dump truck). Looking forward to pics & how you set it up for your needs.

Also, I surely do stir up trouble (usually when I get bored). Often times it's not just me, cuz 4 of my guys live within a mile from my home, so they'll stop by for a cold one (after work) :laugh: and check out lawnsite.com for "free entertainment" or to see what other guys are doing.

rcreech is right on -- this site is addictive (especially for those who enjoy learning new things). :waving:

it is like mowers, one is not better just different. we love ford trucks, always have.

wait till you see the pics of the deal we got on a used in good condition truck that is going to be our 1 tom dump!!!! will post that later but getting back to the discussion. um, where were we? and what were we talking about?:)

grassman177
11-19-2009, 08:31 PM
yeh, will get some pics man, it is a very nice truck. landscape projects will be easier and i have big plans for this come renovation time. i can free up my trailer space by putting all the fert and seed in the bed with a couple of blowers and rakes etc, this way i can either fit more stuff ont he trailer or just have more room to move on it. ahah.

robertsturf
11-19-2009, 08:39 PM
You'll have more room for that new Wright you bought. I am glad that I could break it in for you today. It didn't get too dirty,,,,

lawn king
11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
My only question for larry is how much turfco stock doe's he own? :)