PDA

View Full Version : Ride-on fungicide

Pacific Nursery
05-14-2002, 11:29 PM
Anyone with a Ride-on Spreader/Sprayer ever sprayed fungicide with it?
What'd you use? and how were the results.

tremor
05-15-2002, 06:42 AM
Hey Pacific,

I haven't, but you could get away with the EC fungicides like Banner, Subdue, & Banol. You'd be pretty limited as to what you could control though.
Also, depending on what you're spraying for, the very low volume would limit penetration of the fungicide to the very upper canopy of the turf. That wouldn't be so bad if there was such a thing as a broad spectrum EC contact fungicide. But there isn't.
Most fungicide have that statement "apply in sufficient water to provide adequate coverage" included somewhere on the label. Technically, to do otherwise would be illegal. Look for " it is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner that is inconsistant with the language on this label" & all that good stuff.
Has anybody tried Banner though?

Steve

HBFOXJr
05-15-2002, 07:01 AM
I did last summer with greater success than one might imagine. About a qt per K. I slowed my speed to up my volume. I am just going to change nozzles this year so I get maybe 2qt/K so the viscous products will pump a little easier.

Pacific Nursery
05-15-2002, 10:14 AM
You're two of the guys I hoped to hear from.
Basically I'm going to be putting down scheduled preventative.
The slower speed might work. Let me know how the diff. nozzels work and where I might find them.
Steve, hitting just the upper canopy is what I was thinking would happen, but HB might have something with the slower speed. This dagone spreader has made me loath dragging that hose around. Interesting point about the legal issues, I hadn't even considered that.

tremor
05-15-2002, 04:16 PM
I don't think the pseticide cops are going to bust you. If, like Harold, you up the tips volume & keep the speed down, you should be OK as long as you stay in front of the disease pressure.

Keep in mind that should a disease manifest itself in or around the crown, higher volumes might be needed. Banner is a sterol inhibitting, local penetrant. Some would say systemic, but I don't trust the false comfort that word implies. SI fungicides (Prostar, Banner, Bayleton, Eagle, & Rubigan) do not translocate throughout the vascular system. As such, placement at the point of infection is important, especially if symptoms are visible or degree days tell us their coming soon. Visible symptoms of disease, in turf & all other plants, usually follows an inoculation period during which the disease is really active, but cellular failure isn't complete (however inevitable).

Just up the volume, adjust the rate, stay on top of things & you should be fine. I'd use a spreader sticker too. This will help "lay out" the spray drops & insure better coverage.

Steve

osc
05-15-2002, 08:24 PM
Well speaking of fungies, I just laid down some Banner GL and Daconil Weather Stik today. I used a Toro Multipro 5500 so volume and pressure was not a problem. Looked like a turf milkshake.

HBFOXJr
05-15-2002, 08:57 PM
Just a thought on my part but I don't think that water volume was meant to be label/use issue. More like effectiveness/safety regarding phytotoxicity issue. Many ag chems are routinely applied in concentrate rather than dilute. I've never heard a concern about legality from that group.

This would be a good item for someone to research and report back.

FERT-TEK
07-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Looking to resurrect this post to see if anyone has found a fungicide that will work in a Ultra. I have a couple lawns that have leaf spot / melting out disease and would prefer using the spray system vs. the broadcast spreader.