PDA

View Full Version : Off Season

Gr8WhiteNorth
11-15-2009, 06:40 PM
So what do you do in the off season to keep employees busy and revenue rolling in?

We do residential and commercial snow clearing. Its a very tough business. Its hard to get away, hard to plan a life around, and hard to keep employees on call 24/7. Brutal hours, poor working conditions, and huge competition.

stuvecorp
11-16-2009, 01:41 AM
I use to do snow. Once I figure out how to make money in the winter, things will get much easier.

PSUturf
11-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Everybody always says they have no life in the winter if you plow. Here in Madison, WI we might go out plowing 15 times a winter over a 4 month period. That's about 13% of the days. If you pay attention to the weather forecast you have a pretty good idea 3 days before it snows.

Brutal hours - If you take on so many accounts that you have to be out for 24 hours straight to get them done that's your problem for being greedy.

Poor working conditions - If you have to be out with a shovel or snowblower dress accordingly. Otherwise a heated truck or skid loader isn't too bad.

JimLewis
11-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Man, this is a tough question - because the answer varies so much from one climate to the next.

In your climate, I would think it would be wise to get involved with snow-plowing.

In our area we do a lot of french drains, pruning, a few clean-ups here and there, and emergency calls (e.g. pipe breaks because someone didn't winterize their irrigation system). But even then, we don't stay real busy. Our main income in the winter is from landscape maintenance. We have 200 year-round maintenance accounts. It doesn't really snow here so we can still find maintenance-related things to do in the winter months here. So people pay us year-round. That's our bread and butter. The income from installations and such is bonus! And obviously we make a lot more profit with that side of the business but it's very seasonal.

I always rack my brain on what kind of business I could start up in ADDITION to my landscape business that I could do in the winter. Like maybe interior painting or something. But fortunately we do just barely good enough in the winter that I don't have to worry about it too much.