PDA

View Full Version : Start Up needs advice.

Clean N Green
11-16-2009, 01:00 AM
I am 23 years old and have been in the lawn care business since i was 14. I am starting my own company in the spring. I have about 10 residential customers ready to go.. I have a 1997 f150 2wd with a 4.2 v6 with 170000 miles.. I have about 3 grand to get rolling.. Should i spend my money on 5x10 trailer and a zero turn or should i spend money on a new truck and start with some smaller walk behinds. Most of the lawns I do are about 8 to 10,000 sq ft. I was thinking about a smaller like 40 or 36 ztr.... Or should I just get a couple smaller commercial push mowers and invest in the new truck and if so what kinda truck should i get..

lukemelo216
11-16-2009, 01:15 AM
do you plan to plow snow? If so a new truck will be needed a 4x4 Id personally in your shoes try to get like a 5x10 trailer and see if you can get a nice 36" wb catcher and then some commercial handtools: trimmer edger and blower. Id start with just a hand held blower. If you eventually need to upgrade to a bp keep the handheld because those are extremely useful in the fall/spring. you can get all that for around 3k. just find a mower thats in decent shape and is serviced by a local dealer. thats the most important thing. stihl and redmax are good choices for handhelds.

Clean N Green
11-16-2009, 01:23 AM
I plan to do snow plowing in a few years but just residential snow removal for now

lukemelo216
11-16-2009, 01:46 AM
then id recommend what i just told you and then try to find a good snow blower at some point and time. You could even do it now, that thing will be paid off in no time. If you got a little bigger of a snow blower you could just get one of those holder/ramps that go in the trailer hitch. That thing will be paid off pretty quick my guess. And it will probably open you up to some potential customers for mowing.

Clean N Green
11-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the advice

hackitdown
11-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I'd spend my cash on the better mower.

A $50K truck can't improve your productivity over a $3K truck, unless the cheap truck breaks down a lot. A ZTR will improve productivity day in and day out. Improved productivity will allow you to make more money in the same amount of time. A 36" ZTR would be a vital part of your fleet for years to come as a "fence gate machine".

Besides, $3K isn't going to get much more of a truck, it is just enough to get you signed up for a big debt.