PDA

View Full Version : after turf renovation how long to wait to put down herbicide and fert?

GarPA
05-15-2002, 10:21 AM
About 6 weeks ago I aerated, overseeded, limed and starter fertilized a property. No other apps have been applied this year because I told the guy we cant do seeding with pre-em already down. There was about a 3000 ft area where I had to fine rake, and start seed on bare gound. Total yard about 1/2 acre. He now wants a granular weed killer and fert put on. Any rule of thumb how long you should wait after the seeding/overseeding was done?? thanks much

KirbysLawn
05-15-2002, 03:38 PM
4-5 mowings. I would suggest putting down a fertilizer and spraying any weeds directly, if not do the weed & feed thing. I have not used weed & feed in 5 years.

tremor
05-15-2002, 04:25 PM
Starter fert (high P) when seeding. A normal growth formula (seasonally appropriate line a 4-1-2, 3-1-2, 2-1-1, or 2-1-2 depending on time of year). Spray the weeds after you've cut "ALL" the young seedlings for a 2nd or 3rd time. Note I said all the seedlings. Blends with Bluegrass & Rye may be markedly different in 1st cut dates.

Steve

Kent Lawns
05-15-2002, 07:12 PM
Fertilize as directed above.

Spray (yes, spray) weeds only after AT LEAST 3 cuttings.

It's much easier to kill weeds than build a thick lawn.

~Focus on what's important.

HBFOXJr
05-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Listen to the boys above, they are right on. Who's the pro, you or the customer?