PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping while in college

jeffslawnservice
11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Next year I am going to college, Not sure if I will be going away to school or commuting from home. I was just wondering if anyone else on here is doing the same thing or has done it. Let me know how you did it so work didn't interfere with school. Thanks

Somthinrandm
11-16-2009, 05:39 PM
I do the same thing, been doing it for 3 years now. I attend college monday through thursday and i work my butt off on fridays and saturdays. make sure your clients are understanding that you're a student still. there has been one client of mine that didn't like my schedule and then let me go but i quickly replaced her with no problem. I told her that i would be out to her house to do usual maintenance on friday and she would tell me that the grass didn't need to be cut and not to come. but then came tuesday, of the next week she would be Ringing my phone off the hook saying it neeeded to be cut and couldnt wait till the upcoming friday. i had to tell her i had class and couldn't come out till friday. she then let me go. no sweat though. Just make sure you and your clients keep in good communication and they're understanding and you'll do fine.

MarkintheGarden
11-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I took night classes, sucks to sit through class, dirty and tired from a day of work, but it was worth it.

KS_Grasscutter
11-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I am taking classes at the local community college. 13 credit hours this semester, going to do 18 next. Go to school all morning, work all afternoon. It's not that bad. And I know the knowledge I gain sitting in class will pay off in the long run a lot better then the 6 or 8 lawns I coulda mowed in that time.

jeffslawnservice
11-16-2009, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=Somthinrandm;3280457]I do the same thing, been doing it for 3 years now. I attend college monday through thursday and i work my butt off on fridays and saturdays. make sure your clients are understanding that you're a student still. there has been one client of mine that didn't like my schedule and then let me go but i quickly replaced her with no problem. I told her that i would be out to her house to do usual maintenance on friday and she would tell me that the grass didn't need to be cut and not to come. but then came tuesday, of the next week she would be Ringing my phone off the hook saying it neeeded to be cut and couldnt wait till the upcoming friday. i had to tell her i had class and couldn't come out till friday. she then let me go. no sweat though. Just make sure you and your clients keep in good communication and they're understanding and you'll do fine.[/QU

Most of my clients are understanding. This past spring was when I started to really advertise and had around 40 accounts. (small to meduim in size nothing large.) ANd most of my customers were understanding a few left me but like you said they were replaced quickly for me. I just hope I get a good roster for classes some of my buddies who are in college have all morning classes some have classes all spread out. So as long as I have a good roster I should be good hopefully.

unkownfl
11-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Night classes for me. We have classes that start at 7pm here and get out around 9:30ish.
I tried day classes but customers call during those hours and the professors are tougher because they think mommy and daddy are paying for everything. While going to night classes they understand you have a job. They don't make you spend tons of time doing 100 math problems that are exactly alike. They understand once you do about 10-20 you understand it.

W.L.M.
11-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I am taking 15 credits right now and it isn't that bad I managed my schedule so I have tuesday and thursday off and get most of my work done on those days but I do have a small bit of free time on mwf so I can still get urgent jobs done. The biggest drawback is I waste alot of gas driving to school and home then to jobs, but what can you do? Once the snow falls it will be really easy because I do minimal snow removal.

VO Landscape Design
11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Went to school full time, worked 30 hours week at Walmart, did landscaping (little here and there) the rest of the time. Always busy and tired but a good tired.
VO

casekey
11-17-2009, 03:46 PM
I am taking classes at the local community college. 13 credit hours this semester, going to do 18 next. Go to school all morning, work all afternoon. It's not that bad. And I know the knowledge I gain sitting in class will pay off in the long run a lot better then the 6 or 8 lawns I coulda mowed in that time.

I am also doing this but i only go to school tuesday and thursday then work the other for a large company. Im tired alot but over all its good.

jeffslawnservice
11-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. I'm sure I will definitly be busy during college with work and school but I should make it through.

Rick Beaver
11-18-2009, 09:51 AM
You bet!!!! I was studying Business & Finance in college while running a small lawn care biz in Pa. You need to be dedicated to both to be successful. I will say after college I stayed in Lawn Care and built my business to over a million dollar a year operation. Go For It!!!!
Good Luck

jeffslawnservice
11-18-2009, 12:55 PM
You bet!!!! I was studying Business & Finance in college while running a small lawn care biz in Pa. You need to be dedicated to both to be successful. I will say after college I stayed in Lawn Care and built my business to over a million dollar a year operation. Go For It!!!!
Good Luck

I plan on studying business in college as my major and I'm not sure if I am going to double major in horticulture or minor in it. What part of PA were you in?

Rick Beaver
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I was in King of Prussia, Pa, just outside of Philadelphia. I live in Jacksonville, Florida now.

jeffslawnservice
11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I was in King of Prussia, Pa, just outside of Philadelphia. I live in Jacksonville, Florida now.

I'm from Philadelphia. Did you go to school in the area? And did you sell your business and if so what is the name.

Rick Beaver
11-19-2009, 09:32 AM
One of the first to graduate from MCCC. So long ago!!! Built my business in Jacksonville, sold it to a company out of NJ, then opened offices throughout the state over the next five years. Great career

planetlc
11-19-2009, 08:31 PM
It is possible to both attend school and run your business, I have been doing it for three years, while playing collegiate football, so as you can imagine the fall is very hectic for me, however it all comes down to time management and understanding clients like an above poster stated... Good luck
Ps scheduling off days is very helpful as well, but cannot always be done so keep that in mind too
Posted via Mobile Device

jeffslawnservice
01-13-2010, 05:43 PM
It is possible to both attend school and run your business, I have been doing it for three years, while playing collegiate football, so as you can imagine the fall is very hectic for me, however it all comes down to time management and understanding clients like an above poster stated... Good luck
Ps scheduling off days is very helpful as well, but cannot always be done so keep that in mind too
Posted via Mobile Device

I sort of can relate now. Even though I'm still in high school I play lacrosse in the spring so between lacrosse, school, and work the spring is crazy for me.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Taking 16 credits this sem. I've got 1 class friday this semester and it's at 8am so I'll be able to head back home right after and then start workin once I get home in the afternoon. Bust a$$ sat and possibly sunday if needed. I also have an on campus institutional job for the landscaping dept and that gives me somethin to do during the day if I want to I can skip it if I have a paper to do or somethin, that's the beauty of on campus work.

I just started the spring sem yesterday and I'm already pretty damn busy, so it'll be hectic. Good thing for MN is that clean ups don't start til mid april and mowing doesn't start until the end of april begin of may and the school year ends in mid may so it will only be crazy for a little bit.

My advice would be to not plow while in school, I don't do it and I'm glad I don't, if you got a paper to do that'll take all night to write and it's due at 8am, and there's gonna be a foot of snow, guess what comes first...

sehitchman
01-13-2010, 07:03 PM
My son just completed his 1st college semester. His schedule allowed him to come home Friday by noon and start cutting. We kept the account base small, under 12 last year just so I could handle it over the weekend in case he had something going on. He let me know over the holiday that he wanted to really crank it up this year since he's not doing drum corps in 2010. So I'm prospecting and quoting for him while he's at school. He has it pretty good, since I do all of the maintenance, paperwork, and banking. All he really does is the labor, grab and go, I've loaded and prepped the trailer by the time he gets home most days. If I can assist I do one day a week or so. Sounds like most of you are much more independent than my son. Don't forget, school should be the most important thing you have going at that age. Success to all of you!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
My son just completed his 1st college semester. His schedule allowed him to come home Friday by noon and start cutting. We kept the account base small, under 12 last year just so I could handle it over the weekend in case he had something going on. He let me know over the holiday that he wanted to really crank it up this year since he's not doing drum corps in 2010. So I'm prospecting and quoting for him while he's at school. He has it pretty good, since I do all of the maintenance, paperwork, and banking. All he really does is the labor, grab and go, I've loaded and prepped the trailer by the time he gets home most days. If I can assist I do one day a week or so. Sounds like most of you are much more independent than my son. Don't forget, school should be the most important thing you have going at that age. Success to all of you!

Lol I was gonna say, who's the owner of that outfit? :laugh:

Posted via Mobile Device

jeffslawnservice
01-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Taking 16 credits this sem. I've got 1 class friday this semester and it's at 8am so I'll be able to head back home right after and then start workin once I get home in the afternoon. Bust a$$ sat and possibly sunday if needed. I also have an on campus institutional job for the landscaping dept and that gives me somethin to do during the day if I want to I can skip it if I have a paper to do or somethin, that's the beauty of on campus work.

I just started the spring sem yesterday and I'm already pretty damn busy, so it'll be hectic. Good thing for MN is that clean ups don't start til mid april and mowing doesn't start until the end of april begin of may and the school year ends in mid may so it will only be crazy for a little bit.

My advice would be to not plow while in school, I don't do it and I'm glad I don't, if you got a paper to do that'll take all night to write and it's due at 8am, and there's gonna be a foot of snow, guess what comes first...

Yea hopefully i can get morning classes and then work the rest of the day or do homework. Right now I don't plow and I think its going to stay that way due to I'm trying to pay off college year by year from the money i make. So that leaves little room for spending especially on another truck and plow. plus like you said i would be screwed with a paper and a foot of snow.

sehitchman
01-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Lol I was gonna say, who's the owner of that outfit? :laugh:

Posted via Mobile Device

You are so right, I guess I'm the investor partner. It is his business, he gets the experience, and his tax base is nonexistent compared to mine. So all income and revenue goes to his account. The benefit to me is what I call my therapy. I get some exercise, get to turn wrenches, and have a reason to play in the garage with neat toys. Things I've had little time for during the last 20 years. The kids make good money, pay for their stuff and most of the education. Win Win for me.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-13-2010, 11:10 PM
That's how it is for me, pay for everything, but it makes it better kuz you earn it and you treat it w/ respect.

Unknownfl, not everyone that goes to school in the day has their parents pay for their school...
Posted via Mobile Device

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Yea hopefully i can get morning classes and then work the rest of the day or do homework. Right now I don't plow and I think its going to stay that way due to I'm trying to pay off college year by year from the money i make. So that leaves little room for spending especially on another truck and plow. plus like you said i would be screwed with a paper and a foot of snow.

Yeah that's why I don't do it, I don't wanna wreck my truck.