PDA

View Full Version : Z-spray set up

wcb607a
11-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Buying a z-spray this off season and just wondering how you guys with an enclosed trailer have it set up. I want to put my 150 gal water tank, a pallet of fert and the z-spray in the enclosed trailer. I thought is would be a good idea to purchase a double back door so I can use my skid to put the pallet in the back and use the side door for coming and going with the z-spray. What is your set up like using the enclosed trailer with the z-spray?

br549oicu8
11-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Many things to consider, first being the weight overall.
I would also be cautious with the fertilizer (granular) and the reaction it has with the aluminum skin on the trailer. It has caused small holes in ours so we quit using it for granular fert.
Just a few things to consider.

jbturf
11-16-2009, 10:18 PM
couple of bad phone pics ill share,
had a Z in back for a short stint

jbturf
11-16-2009, 10:25 PM
no pics but ramp door in rear,

ur plan sounds easy to load fert in rear, and machine out side door,
but i dont think i could live without a rear ramp door, and certain properties
you cant unload out the side

i think tscape or some 1 on here has a trailer with a larger side door- to load a pallet

i just sold this trailer, and am also specing out a new one

rcreech
11-16-2009, 10:32 PM
I would highly recommend looking into a box truck! I thought about a trailer...but for the ones I was looking at, it only cost me about another 3 grand to go to a truck.

Not only is it an awesome marketing tool (larger billboard)...but it also is easy to work out of and looks very professional!

JMO!

indyturf
11-16-2009, 11:20 PM
I second the box truck!!

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
11-16-2009, 11:44 PM
no pics but ramp door in rear,

ur plan sounds easy to load fert in rear, and machine out side door,
but i dont think i could live without a rear ramp door, and certain properties
you cant unload out the side

i think tscape or some 1 on here has a trailer with a larger side door- to load a pallet

i just sold this trailer, and am also specing out a new one

JB, Your trailer reminds me of my setup...A rolling lawn pharmacy:laugh: Sometimes I think I carry more products than Walgreens:laugh::laugh::usflag:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
11-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Box trucks are looking rather appealing......... I've been seeing nice cab over ones for under 10k. Less than an older 4x4 3/4 ton!

Some even have an air conditioned box:cool2:

grassman177
11-17-2009, 02:36 AM
nothing like keeping your fert cool in the summer!!! ha

rcreech
11-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Box trucks are looking rather appealing......... I've been seeing nice cab over ones for under 10k. Less than an older 4x4 3/4 ton!

Some even have an air conditioned box:cool2:

That is the exact way I looked at it! I like the way it just gets parked and locked.

When I ran a pickup I always had to worry about it getting rained on and worry about someone stealing something!

I wish mine had AC...it can become an oven on hot days but we don't have to load very often so no big deal!

sprayboy
11-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Buying a z-spray this off season and just wondering how you guys with an enclosed trailer have it set up. I want to put my 150 gal water tank, a pallet of fert and the z-spray in the enclosed trailer. I thought is would be a good idea to purchase a double back door so I can use my skid to put the pallet in the back and use the side door for coming and going with the z-spray. What is your set up like using the enclosed trailer with the z-spray?

Just be careful putting more weight in the rear of trailer.

If the weight is not distibuted well you will have problems with the trailer whipping back and forth across the road, especially at higher speeds.

I've seen where trailers can come loose from the trucks due to tongue weight being so light.

Maple Wood
11-17-2009, 11:16 AM
I am setting up an enclosed trailer for next season for my Z spray Max. I thought of going with a box truck, I like the Idea and believe it looks professional. The thing is that I needed a diesel pickup for other things and to justify it I need to pull my squirt and fert rig also.

I have ordered a sharp mfg trailer. They are a small mfg that builds a real nice smooth skinned trailer. It is a lot like the H & H trailer.

They are customizing basically for free. Thatís the benefit you get with a small MFG. They build it the way you want it. I am getting a large side door to load pallets of fert. The side door is moved back to be close to the front axle. The axels are 6k. Thatís important. So I will load the Z in the back and the water and fert in the front. I would rather have enough tongue weight that not. I am still working on the set up and need lots of input.

I want and electric 12 volt transfer pump. Any suggestions?

It was mentioned about the effects of fert on aluminum that is what it will do. I would like to coat the inside with line x or some kind of paint to protect the aluminum. What do you think?

grassman177
11-17-2009, 12:02 PM
we line exed the floor and about 12 in up the sides after the problem had existed but i am sure that it would take care of it, paint will not as thsi si what we did the first time when the trailer was new

Maple Wood
11-17-2009, 12:50 PM
we line exed the floor and about 12 in up the sides after the problem had existed but i am sure that it would take care of it, paint will not as thsi si what we did the first time when the trailer was new

That is what I wondered, thanks for the info grassman! Its more money to line ex but it should last.

Volman
11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Im in same situation as Maple Wood. Need the pickup for other jobs. Weight is the main thing. 2000-2500lbs of fert., 1200-1500lbs water, chemicals & Z. Possibly 5000lbs. I currently have a 16ft. Put Fert, z, & Chems in trailer. 150gals go in the back of the truck. I gravity feed the water through a 2" hose & ball valve. The best thing is i can fill the z with water in about average of 30 seconds. The negative is that i have to load the wter tank when i get ready to go spray. I would like to have the tank in the trailer ,but i haven't figured out a way to graviy feed fast from the trailer. I really like the fast fill ups. It really makes a big difference in the amunt of accounts covered in a day

Maple Wood
11-17-2009, 05:37 PM
The trailer that I am getting from Sharp is a 7 x 16 v nose with 2-6K axles. The front cross members are on 12 in centers. This will handle the weight.

If you put your water tank on a stand I think you could get enough flow with 2 in line.

br549oicu8
11-17-2009, 05:56 PM
That is what I wondered, thanks for the info grassman! Its more money to line ex but it should last.

The fert ate holes in the rear ramp and the sides. Nasty!!
I'll have to cover it up with some diamond plate soon.

wcb607a
11-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Why don't you buy a pump from Northern Tool for about 150 bucks 4.9 gals per min, and run the live wire from the trailer hitch to the pump and ground the pump. Your truck should have an aux line to run inside lights for the trailer. If not just run a fusible line from the battery to the truck hitch.

jbturf
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
ive used my current all aluminum trailer for 5 seasons of fert-
no corrosion or rot any where. ido have dbl plywood on the floor and plywood walls
so the fert cant really get onto any aluminum-- but i like the linex idea
some 1 post pics or comment who has done this inside a trailer?

i use a 12volt bilge pump in the trailer,
wired to the trl battery

my new trailer im getting an upgraded deep cycle battery option, wired to run lights
and accesories etc...

Pythium
11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Rodney, we also use box trucks. Currently use ramps (heavy and take a toll after a long day) What do you guys use to load and unload your z's from the truck?

rcreech
11-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Rodney, we also use box trucks. Currently use ramps (heavy and take a toll after a long day) What do you guys use to load and unload your z's from the truck?

I tried posting pics...but it wouldn't let me, so here is my original post after we build the ramps.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262700&highlight=my+new+ride

If you go through the thread...you will see how my boxtruck came to life! It was one of the best things I have done so far! If next year goes anything like this year I will definitly add the 2nd boxtruck to our lineup and drop the pickup truck.

Works like a dream!

Where are you located at in this great state? :)

grassman177
11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
i would not say the guy my dad is reffereing to actually kept it clean so the problem was compounded a bit, but needless to say, it really did eat holes fromt he inside out. it basically got into the joint of the floor and the walls, it has wood, but it is not a tight fit. there is where the problem lies, but now, it is sealed. i have some crappy pics i can post when i find them from after the coating before it was used. give me a bit!

Pythium
11-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks Rodney, similar to what we have except ours is split into two ramps down the middle. Don't they seem to get heavy at the end of the day?

rcreech
11-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks Rodney, similar to what we have except ours is split into two ramps down the middle. Don't they seem to get heavy at the end of the day?

I rarely run the truck anymore...but I never had any problems and we use the truck on our larger properties, so we only use the ramp 10-15 times a day probably on avg.

The ramp weighs close to 300 lbs but I have 2-275# air shocks on it. It lifts pretty darn easy!

Most of the time I run 2 guys in a truck anyway and it goes up REAL EASY with 2 guys!

Maple Wood
11-19-2009, 10:24 AM
How much water do you all carry for your Z spray? I would like to have enough for a big day. I mostly spray at 1/3 gallon per 1k. I havenít had an efficient set up so it is a little hard to judge. I was thinking 200-300 gallons

I would like to find a 20 gallon per min or so 12 volt pump. I want to put an induction tank that is metered in the trailer and mix chem in that. Thought of using a gas transfer pump idled down, but that is overkill and another engine.

rcreech
11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
How much water do you all carry for your Z spray? I would like to have enough for a big day. I mostly spray at 1/3 gallon per 1k. I havenít had an efficient set up so it is a little hard to judge. I was thinking 200-300 gallons

I would like to find a 20 gallon per min or so 12 volt pump. I want to put an induction tank that is metered in the trailer and mix chem in that. Thought of using a gas transfer pump idled down, but that is overkill and another engine.

I can carry 64 gallon on my Z. If you want to become more effecient...I would go to 1/4 gallon and then you won't need as much water each day. Just a thought and my opinion!

Maple Wood
11-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I can carry 64 gallon on my Z. If you want to become more efficient...I would go to 1/4 gallon and then you won't need as much water each day. Just a thought and my opinion!
Good point. You must have good results at that volume or you wouldn’t recommend it.
On burn down application in the ag side I would spray as little as 2.5 gallons per acre with good results. That is less than .06 of a gallon per thousand. You don’t want to do that with pre emergents though.

RigglePLC
11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Once you have the battery and wireing--you might just as well include an inverter--so you can have ac power if needed. And dont forget the hand washing outlet with soap, comfort station or Porta Potty for when nature calls. When it rains, you will find all your guys inside, sitting on fert bags, watching the ball game. Try to have skylights or windows plus electric lights--dark inside. Good ventilation to reduce heat and fumes.

ike1018
11-19-2009, 03:53 PM
What size of box are you guys running in both enclosed trailer and box truck?

Maple Wood
11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Once you have the battery and wireing--you might just as well include an inverter--so you can have ac power if needed. And dont forget the hand washing outlet with soap, comfort station or Porta Potty for when nature calls. When it rains, you will find all your guys inside, sitting on fert bags, watching the ball game. Try to have skylights or windows plus electric lights--dark inside. Good ventilation to reduce heat and fumes.

I have a camping toilet in my enclosed mowing trailer. That can be a real life saver!!!!!!!!!!!

rcreech
11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Good point. You must have good results at that volume or you wouldnít recommend it.
On burn down application in the ag side I would spray as little as 2.5 gallons per acre with good results. That is less than .06 of a gallon per thousand. You donít want to do that with pre emergents though.

I have ran 1/4 gallon for 5 years with excellent control.

If it didn't work I wouldn't do it or recommend it!

I go as little as 5 gpa on the farm all the time! I usually run about 7 though because I have to drive too fast to go 5......but still do on my wide open fields without waterways! :)

rcreech
11-19-2009, 05:46 PM
What size of box are you guys running in both enclosed trailer and box truck?

I have a 14 ft box truck...and it is perfect, but when running two machines out of it, it can get a little tight.

A 16 ft would be perfect, but I just wonder if it would be too big?

ike1018
11-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I have a 14 ft box truck...and it is perfect, but when running two machines out of it, it can get a little tight.

A 16 ft would be perfect, but I just wonder if it would be too big?

Thanks, my thoughts exactly. I originally planned to go with a 14ft, but recently been debating on a 16ft. Will probably end up going with 14ft.