PDA

View Full Version : firepit location

1999frontier
11-17-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm want to buy a firepit, but I can't figure out where to put it in my backyard. I'm thinking either a metal one with a chimnea or a bowl type and possibly putting stone around it. I was at lowes and they had a package deal for $210. It came with a bowl type firepit and 48 12" flagstone. How far do I need to be away from trees and branches. I'm not going to have a bonfire so I didn't know how far I needed to be away to be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreams To Designs
11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Check your local regulations for safety and conformity, but common sense should be your guide. You also want to consider prevailing wind direction and the draft for the smoke. The taller the chimney, the less chance of those around it getting smoked out in a breeze. Overhanging branches or leaves can impede the smoke from traveling up and away, so consider that when placing.

There will be ash and cleanup around any fire feature, so consider that with your base and surround decisions. A firm and stable base is a necessity, so don't skimp there. Make sure you have plenty of room for chairs or benches to be towards and away fro the fire as it intensity waivers and the outdoor temperatures vary.

Kirk

1999frontier
11-17-2009, 09:21 AM
So it would be better to buy one with a chimnea?
Posted via Mobile Device

1999frontier
11-17-2009, 09:33 AM
This is the one I was thinking at Lowes

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=291623-63094-SRCH06&lpage=none
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreams To Designs
11-17-2009, 09:42 AM
A good burning fire in a firepit, with light to moderate breezes will create a sufficient draft to get the smoke up and away, but smaller, more intimate fires benefit from a chimney. You may not anticipate "bonfires", but if you entertain, the fire is a natural place for people to congregate, and they expect to be warmed by it.

Depends on how you intend to use it. A couple of folks in front of a cozy fire, fits the chiminea. They typically have a smaller opening in one direction, unless you can find the iron version that has a 360 degree screened area between the base and chimney. If you want the campfire feel, a masonry firepit or surround works well or a larger, deep iron container with a spark screen is a safe alternative. The shallow bowls look cool, but are not conducive to good fires.

Also consider what you will burn. If you are going to burn logs, will they fit, or will they have to be split and cut shorter. A small firebox takes some pretty small wood, which means you are constantly feeding it to keep the fire going. A typical chiminea is also more discreet, because of the window of fire. It can be pointed in a direction as to not arouse interest from neighbors or passersby.

Kirk