PDA

View Full Version : Ever see one of these transformers?

sprinkler guy
11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Would someone be able to identify this transformer for me. Homeowner said it was there when he bought the house, so no owners manual. No markings on the housing. There is a company sticker from the installing company - now out of business. As you can see the lid opens from the top like an irrigation enclosure, and the core looks to be potted in a red clay or ceramic. I'm trying to get a feel for the performance specs.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-17-2009, 06:58 PM
That is a new one on me. Never have seen anything like it. How much load is connected to it now?

Pro-Scapes
11-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I have seen one but was stumped like you. Whole system came out anyways so I didnt lose sleep over it. My thought was when rainbird or whomever it was tried lighting ?? The system had been installed by an irri contractor.

Lite4
11-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Wow, no idea

Classic Lighting
11-18-2009, 12:09 AM
I saw one of those in an antique store over the weekend.

irrig8r
11-18-2009, 10:49 AM
I have seen one but was stumped like you. Whole system came out anyways so I didnt lose sleep over it. My thought was when rainbird or whomever it was tried lighting ?? The system had been installed by an irri contractor.

Rain Bird's stab at the lighting market was called Nightbird.

I don't remember the transformers, but the concept on the rest was good.

All stainless steel fixtures and an MR16 pathlight (as I recall).

You could change spots to pathlights by switching shroud/ hat...

I recall seeing them at an IA show in Anaheim in the early 90's.

Somehow they didn't penetrate the market despite their distribution network.

irrig8r
11-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Eureka! Googling Night Bird I actually found a photo and more info about their fixtures...

This apparently from the design firm that came up with them.

http://inventiveproductdesign.com/examples/NightBird1.htm

http://inventiveproductdesign.com/images/NightBird.jpg

Yeah, I know, not the most attractive fixtures I've ever seen, but the concept was ahead of it's time.
And I was wrong, not MR16, but still, an early use of halogen lamps...

Meanwhile, I didn't know it was also offered by Hydrel.

I've tried searching for Night Bird before, but this is the first time I got a useful hit.

Oh, and unless the Rain Bird version used a different TF, then Sean's wasn't the one.

Classic Lighting
11-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Great info Gregg. I learned something new today.

sprinkler guy
11-18-2009, 03:38 PM
That is a new one on me. Never have seen anything like it. How much load is connected to it now?

Hard to tell James. So many lights aren't working, so without going through and checking bulb sizes and counting all the lamps I can't really tell. They built a new pathway through the middle of the landscape and about half the fixtures don't work. It is a multi-tap, with 12 and 13 volt outputs on the different wires, and it has two commons. These were installed in 2004, according to the installers stickers.