PDA

View Full Version : First Season - things I have learned (some the hard way)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Candidly:

1) You don't necessarily need to apply a pre to every single lawn you do, just because 'thats the way it has always been done Rd 1'

2) Blanket Applications to lawns over 5k sq ft with a backpack sprayer, frankly, stink (I know, you all told me so before the season started). 85 degrees and humid out, and you have this hot sweaty, HEAVY backpack cutting into your shoulders, going back and forth, back and forth (x100) just to finish a 10K sq ft lawn in like an hour. Not efficient, and physically over-demanding. ALTHOUGH, I do like the backpack on lawns of 3k sq ft or less, you can really spot-detail with them well.

3) Mixing tank mix on the fly, frankly, stinks. Never again, looks unprofessional.

4) My timing to hit key broadleaf's was off. Ended up doing some spot spraying for free because I sprayed some of my customers too early and missed the breakthroughs.

5) Treating ground ivy and wild violet is tricky. Found my best and fastest results were with two apps of Momentum applied in very warm weather. Cool-cold weather = SLLLOOWWW results, not good.

6) Keeping App records takes more time to do than you might think.

7) Wearing rubber boots and gloves doing apps STINKS when it is hot out. I know you have to do it, BUT.....

8) Trugreen (in my town) has ticked off A LOT of people BUT their marketing is so invasive, people just go with them anyway to get the company off their backs. I am trying to break the mold on that one.....

9) Listen to LS advice, esp. from applicators doing business in your general area.

10) Man, its fun to wipe out dandys and ground ivy in someone's lawn, making them happy, THEN cross selling them a fall overseed. Things like that:)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Man, no responses (even some to say how silly I am??)

RigglePLC
11-20-2009, 11:55 PM
DA,
I love to be a hero by killing ground ivy. We all learn a lot. Next year your timing on the weed control will be better-right? But don't count on it. Next year the weather will be different. Some weeds arise when it is cool--some arise when it is hot. You can't win--just be ready to shoot
'em when you see 'em.

SpreadNSpray
11-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Man, no responses (even some to say how silly I am??)

C'mon now you should still be too busy working down there.:) 5-10..thats good stuff!

grassman177
11-21-2009, 12:44 AM
congrats, sounds like you learned alot this year. we all have to learn those things and you picked up on it well. never be happy is my motto. that is what gets me results.