PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start a small business!

Justinp95
11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Ok, Im looking to start a lawn business and im starting small. Basically I have a desk job now and im tired of the corporate world! Haha. Im looking at starting a lawn business and start small and just work on the weekends (gotta work 40+ hrs during the week). So far im looking for some free software for invoices and such and I have a truck already (mine) and a like 5x6 or so enclosed trailer for equipment. As far as advertisement I was thinking Craigslist (prolly useless), Flyers on bulletin boards, maybe Austin newspaper (expensive @ $206 per month) and the greensheet ($106 per month). Has anyone ever started just working on the weekends? Advice would be great. Thanks!

Rick Beaver
11-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Invest in QuickBooks. You can use it for business and personally. It will last you a lifetime. It will also help you mange the financial side of your business. Good Luck

GTC187
11-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm in Austin as well and Craigslist is pretty much useless, full of guys advertising any size lawn for $15 and such.

Justinp95
11-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Haha, ya. Where do you use that seems to work?

Yater
11-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Old people still read the paper. The tech crowd in Austin is huge, I'd look for a computer savvy friend who'll build a website for you. I get several emails/calls per day from craigslist, so it's not completely worthless. Make sure your CL ads are grammatically correct and you'll stand out from the rest.

Justinp95
11-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Ya, i found a place online called intuit.com where you build a website. Looks simple and cheap. I will be doing that. What kind of work do you do in winter for lawn care in Texas? I dont think you can mow year round here?

cre8tive
11-18-2009, 05:10 PM
how do i write out a bid, and a quote.

Yater
11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Ya, i found a place online called intuit.com where you build a website. Looks simple and cheap. I will be doing that. What kind of work do you do in winter for lawn care in Texas? I dont think you can mow year round here?

I paid my way through college while mowing, but I have a full time job now. I do leaf cleanups in the fall and winter, general cleanups in the spring and summer, and mow a few accounts when I can. Too bad it doesn't snow here.

PestPro
11-18-2009, 06:55 PM
If you have Microsoft Word, do a search for templates, and you should be able to fine something on there.

PestPro
11-18-2009, 07:01 PM
:waving:how do i write out a bid, and a quote.

Far as a quote goes, I just give those over the phone for my Pest Control business.

For Bid:
Just say what you are going to do for the customer.
Any Extra that is included
What is your Guarantee
IF you have Insurance
How often you are going to do the service
Will you go back if there is something you forgot to do.
Or if there is a problem of any kind with your work, What will you do
When is payment expected
Do you take credit cards
Total cost per service, or any extra cost

Justinp95
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
If you have Microsoft Word, do a search for templates, and you should be able to fine something on there.

Ill try that. Thanks

PestPro
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Before you build a web site you need a domian name (www.name.com).
You can get one from godaddy.com for about 9.00 a year

Justinp95
11-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh, i thought they would give me one haha.

Justinp95
11-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Another thing, are you supposed to remove the leaves from the lawn before you mow or will the mower chop them up enough to not be visable?

HeartOfTexas
11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Justin,

I'm in Austin also. In regards to raking or cutting up leaves it depends upon the type of leaf and how many there are. If there aren't many leaves I'd just mow them with a mulching mower. If there are a lot of leaves I usually use a bagger when mowing the lawn. For even more leaves you may have to rake them or at least the heaviest areas. Live Oak leaves are particularly difficult to suck up with a mower.