PDA

View Full Version : Change in diamond blade purchasing

DVS Hardscaper
11-19-2009, 06:08 PM
We been buying these 14" Turbo Segmented diamond blades. Cost around $200 - $225 each. They last a long long time.

Well one day we needed a blade, so I bought a cheap one from our local supplier. Cost 80 bucks.

And you know what? The $80 blade lasts almost just as long as the $200 blade.

I think we'll continue to use the $80 ones.

PlatinumLandCon
11-19-2009, 06:43 PM
There's way too many blades out there to say "the $80 blade". Some cheap blades are good, most are just cheap. A guy bought a cheap blade from a dealer near me and got a segment in the shin, needing surgery to fix. I think the 150-200 mark is comfortable, but talk to people about what they're using first to get the best $200 blade out there.

tthomass
11-19-2009, 08:44 PM
I found out on of my suppliers that sells a blade for $200 only pays $70 for them. Makes gauging a blade by its cost, not so creditable.

shovelracer
11-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I needed a 12" one day while on a job and didn't want to spend $$$ cause I have 2 good 14's. Spent $56 and figured if it made it through the job I would be happy. I have been using it to cut everything and it just wont die. Biggest thing I notice with the cheaper ones is they are louder and get vibration wobbles.

tthomass
11-19-2009, 09:51 PM
There's diamond count and this and that that goes into the blades but I've used so many different ones, I can't say one is better than the other. The best is a new one and once its run a bit, they all seem to be the same.

I was told that if a blade is cutting slow, cut some asphalt. The aggregate is not that great for it and will "clean" the blade. I've yet to try it.

P.L.
11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I used to spend a lot on blades. Now I buy them for under $60 bucks at harbor freight. They last a long time and you can get 3 or 4 for the priceof one. I also get all my small grinder baldes from them, I think they cost less than $10 and work great.

shovelracer
11-19-2009, 10:03 PM
There's diamond count and this and that that goes into the blades but I've used so many different ones, I can't say one is better than the other. The best is a new one and once its run a bit, they all seem to be the same.

I was told that if a blade is cutting slow, cut some asphalt. The aggregate is not that great for it and will "clean" the blade. I've yet to try it.

Funny I killed a blade once doing that. Well it was about done anyways.

soopa
11-20-2009, 07:25 AM

cutting any dissimilar material will remove any glazing and reveal more diamonds.

asphalt wouldn't be my top choice though as the tar can be some nasty stuff.

cut a piece of stone.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
11-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I've heard the same thing as tthomas and than I heard a brick is good to use as well. I tried the asphalt once and it didn't seem to make much difference, but it was a $60 blade????

billwlod
11-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I find with the hand held chop saws buying a expensive blade is useless due to the rough handling of the saw. Use water it can make your blade last 4x as long. The MK blades are perfect for pavers and Allan Block. On tub saws get a better blade but dont force the blocks threw and you will get lots of life out of them. I think alot of the cheap blades are made in the same factory and stamped with different brands.

mrusk
11-29-2009, 08:07 PM
I buy my blades from joe wizard for 100 bucks and they last forever.

zedosix
11-30-2009, 09:26 PM
I spend on average 400 dollars a blade for my 4 saws. They only get replaced once a year and we cut alot of brick. You get what you pay for.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
12-01-2009, 01:10 AM
In all fairness Zedo you do a lot of wet cutting compared to most guys dry cutting. Dry or wet cutting can be a big factor in a blades life.

DVS Hardscaper
12-01-2009, 08:24 AM
it' said by a wet saw manufacturer that cooling the blade with water will only make it last 25% longer. We haven't used water in about 3 years. Too messy.

zedosix
12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
In all fairness Zedo you do a lot of wet cutting compared to most guys dry cutting. Dry or wet cutting can be a big factor in a blades life.

If I could put a percentage to it I would say 75% wet, 25% dry. My quick cuts are 100% dry cut.

bike5200
12-01-2009, 11:00 AM
I was superintendent for a General Contractor had a sub on the job that did concrete sawing and coring. They sawed everything wet and used a concrete block to clean the blade

PatriotLandscape
12-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I always buy the least expensive blades I can. I have had guys destroy $300 blades in half a job and $80 blades that lasted 3 months. I can never figure it out and if you ask the blade man. they all say theres is the best.

we cut 100% dry. water just makes a mess. especially trying to cut wet and in place.

DVS Hardscaper
12-01-2009, 07:55 PM
The archives of this forum will show where I used to swear by the more costly blades.

All I did was go buy a cheap blade to hold us over for a week. Been usin the cheapos ever since!

zedosix
12-01-2009, 09:31 PM
There are different blades for different applications as you know. Some guys put the target blade on a quick cut and it doesn't cut good at that speed, thats when the blade starts to wobble. They will wear out faster. I think if you put the better ones up against the cheaper ones you'll see that they will outlast the cheaper ones by a good margin.

rawtoxic
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Ok so for this thread to develop into a more useful thread (yes, I've been using the search feature) I think you should name where you've sourced your cheap blades and how they worked. Sorry to bring up an old thread but thought this would make it more beneficial.

For example I am doing a huge patio now, I had a MK Diamond All Purpose on my saw for about a year now, could not stop it, sourced off seller on ebay (cheapest around $100). I replaced it with a Diamond Hard blade from Sears about $80 retail but I had a gift card a customer had given me as a 'tip' so I was burning it up. Well this Diamond Hard blade is not great or worth the lesser cost. We are cutting very hard quartzite flagstone for a large wet lay patio and I must say sparks are flying everywhere. It reminded of these cheap bull dog blades I got for hand grinders at a parking lot sale for too good to be true incredible price.

I am buying a Makita for $80 off ebay to replace today.

I cut mainly concrete and flagstone with the occasional paver or block

DVS Hardscaper
05-07-2010, 06:17 PM
i dont know the blade brands / manufacturer, and i doubt anyone here really does.

I doubt makita manufacturers blades, i'm certain they buy from someone who puts makita's name on the package.

xtreem3d
05-09-2010, 05:12 PM
FWIW..
http://www.mkdiamond.com/masonry/acc_stone.html