PDA

View Full Version : ending the year this week

americanlawn
11-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Most local LCO's I know (including us) are ending the season this week. Even TruGreen.

Today we finished up aerations & winterizer fert app's. (but I'll still have to do 4 or 5 next week cuz they're waiting on fall clean-ups)

Our large warehouse is unheated (60,000 cubic feet...try paying the heat bill on that) :laugh:, so we drained out the water tanks today. All spray tanks, reels, hoses, etc have been emptied out (via air hose, shop vacs, etc). Ride-on units now have RV antifreeze and are stored in a heated garage. Leftover liquid products are now also stored in a heated garage.....even spray paint cans & other liquids used to clean our trucks.

Snow plows have been serviced, and trucks that needed tires/alignment got it. Snow blowers, sand bags (for extra weight), ramps, etc = all ready to go.

That's us. How 'bout you guys? rscvp, thanks :waving:

mdvaden
11-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Most local LCO's I know (including us) are ending the season this week. Even TruGreen.

Today we finished up aerations & winterizer fert app's. (but I'll still have to do 4 or 5 next week cuz they're waiting on fall clean-ups)

...... rscvp, thanks :waving:

These days I've got something to tinker with all year.

But I've been close to being where you are at, like back in country club days where we wound down so slow, it was comparable.

Its sort of an odd feeling, in a way, to have the season wind down. I suppose the ski resorts and others understand what its like at a different time of year.

a plus bob
11-19-2009, 08:03 PM
I am still 2 wks away from done rain every day so far this week :(

grassman177
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
told you about the rain, just got back to work today and it was very wet soil. put down a bunch of urea today and made great money, yeah. ihave only half day left of round 6 and then some clean ups and mowing.

rcreech
11-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I am still 2 wks away from done rain every day so far this week :(

Feel your pain~! :cry:

Marcos
11-19-2009, 09:16 PM
We were mostly nailing & bringing B&B trees in from the field... until this week's rain.
Now we're out doing final leaf clean ups as the Bradfords are all suddenly dropping.

greenskeeper44
11-20-2009, 10:59 AM
300 winterizations left hope to finish in 2 1/2 weeks. Hopefully weather cooperates! Not ready for the winter. But am excited for next year. Hope everyone's year has gone well

jbturf
11-20-2009, 08:13 PM
down to just a couple myself--
so what do you guys do with the notorious few customers that have not cleaned up the
leaves, and you have made several attempts at treating the property- via visits/phonecalls?

when and if they finally do call, will you drive all the way out to treat 1 residential property? is it worth it?

grass4gas
11-20-2009, 08:26 PM
down to just a couple myself--
so what do you guys do with the notorious few customers that have not cleaned up the
leaves, and you have made several attempts at treating the property- via visits/phonecalls?

when and if they finally do call, will you drive all the way out to treat 1 residential property? is it worth it?

I will, because I'm a solo operator. I figure I am out driving anyway somewhere, so I will just hit it on the way. The last few can be a pain when you are dealing with leaves, but it needs to be done.

Jack

LawnTamer
11-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I may be done. I have done all my late fall fertilizations/winterizations, did the last aerations today. I have 4 people who want leaf clean ups done, but they all are in the foothills and have snow on the ground in shady areas. It is supposed to snow this weekend. If it does, I am done, if not, I may be able to go out Monday and get those 4 clean ups done. HOPEFULLY those will be my last clean up/mowing jobs EVER, as I am really hoping to go back to 100% fert and spray next yr.

RigglePLC
11-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Done last week. Now doing some equipment tune-ups, lube jobs, anti-freeze, oil changes, de-rust and paint. And if it rains--maybe some work on the customer database, collections and refining our records and chemical application data. We would like to look at our crabgrass control data to find out what worked and what didn't.