PDA

View Full Version : Columns and garland

Don M.
11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Sorry guys i'm on my iPhone and can't search the threads. I have to bid 4 columns on a southern plantation style house the columns are 3 ft in diameter 30 ft tall. How man pieces of noble garland do I need for each. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
11-20-2009, 11:55 PM
it is about 100 foot of garland. this won't fit on a cell phone-

take your tape and always measure the circumference. on larger columns use the wheel. once you know that, think of bands. how many times do you want to go around this thing? a better question is how much space do you want between garland strands? With the noble, you can wrap a coulumn with probably 1 band every 2-3 feet, maybe a little more or less, but 2.5 feet gives you a bit more white space than green, and 3-3.5 feet quite a bit more.

since mixed noble is theoretically 14 inches in diameter, fluffed we will call it 11, so with 2 feet spacing 11 inches of green you get 13 inches of white. This is pretty heavy. I ususally go a band every 2.5 feet, or 11 inches of green and 19 inches of white. on those really big columns you ae talking about, you can go 3 foot or even 3.5 foot spacing, as perspecive changes as things get that big. I also take my wheel and go up 2 foot while going around the column. but I am guessing 3 foot is around 9 foot around, and add a foot or two to go up. figure a band every 3 foot, 10 bands, 10 foot around, that is 100 foot of garland, or 11 strands. you will have to weave a 50 foot cord into the bottom 5 strands of garland, as you can only plug in 6 of the garland strands together. remember you can however put two males together at the number 6 strand and run your power from the middle both up and down the column.

I did some columns like that on one of our sorority houses on the U of A campus back in 2001 and 2002. huge, and very hard to keep tension on that much garland. we currently do some 20 foot columns that are 15 inch squares or 6 foot each rotation, and we have 7 strands on each column. it is way easier to put it on a spool and have someone walk around and unwind it as another person is up on the ladder placing it and keeping it tight.

our 6 foot little giants actually are about 12 foot on the stepladder fully extended. even standing on the top step, most tall guys cannot reach much higher than 19 foot or so. anything higher than 20 foot is really hard as you have to use an extension ladder, and once you have garland at the top you run the risk of crushing the bulbs.

and fixing that broken strand on the 3rd band down is a pain.