PDA

View Full Version : ferris hydrocut 32"

onlythebest
11-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi, i am looking at buying a 32" hydrocut for next spring. I priced out a new one for about 3500$ inc. tax or 2000$ for a used one in my area with about 100 hours. right now i am leaning towards the used one to save that 1500$ and maybe buy a new BP blower. anyways, I just want to know what you guys think of the 09 units since i couldn't find any reviews on anything newer than an 06. are there any other brands that make a 32 in this price range i should take a look at?
Thanks
:canadaflag:

unkownfl
11-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Hi, i am looking at buying a 32" hydrocut for next spring. I priced out a new one for about 3500$ inc. tax or 2000$ for a used one in my area with about 100 hours. right now i am leaning towards the used one to save that 1500$ and maybe buy a new BP blower. anyways, I just want to know what you guys think of the 09 units since i couldn't find any reviews on anything newer than an 06. are there any other brands that make a 32 in this price range i should take a look at?
Thanks

I would seriously consider a dual hydro instead of the ferris.

onlythebest
11-21-2009, 02:43 PM
yeah i have thought about the dual hydros but for what i need it for (no hills small properties) and around here a dual hydro 32" costs around 4-5 grand!

Richard Martin
11-21-2009, 02:51 PM
For your level of experience you are probably better off with a dual hydro 32" like this one for $3095 plus shipping.

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=15KM-32DD-08

They're not great mowers but certainly good enough for a starter mower.

onlythebest
11-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey, i have done a lot of research on 32" mowers and have considered a dual vs single hydro. from what i have read the Ferris leaves the best cut although you need to manually steer it. the dual hydro is something i will get when i need it but for the amount of lawns i do now it doesn't justify getting the dual hydro. Not to mention the ruts they would leave on the tiny lawns i do that take a total of 6 minutes including trimming and blowing everything just from turning around so much with the extra weight. also, BOP doesn't ship to Canada do they? AND i have no BOP dealers around me to service it. i do however have a Ferris dealer pretty much outside my front door (like 5 minute drive).
Thanks

Richard Martin
11-21-2009, 03:19 PM
No one can ever say I didn't try.

onlythebest
11-21-2009, 03:21 PM
No one can ever say I didn't try.
Aha ok thank you anyways..
Anyone else have any info or problems with the Ferris Hydrocut?

Richard Martin
11-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Aha ok thank you anyways..

Being new here you probably don't understand. I'm often accused of always beating up on the Quick mowers. I'm a believer that Quicks have their place and when presented with the opportunity I recommend them when I can. I feel that this is one of those occasions.

onlythebest
11-21-2009, 04:06 PM
i see... well I really appreciate all the help this site and its members offer. thanks for the recommendation but i honestly think I can and will be able to handle the single hydro. from what i have read i understand that the quick mowers are great for start ups like you said but right now i am focused on getting something to last as i am only waiting on my license before i grow (have enough good clientele that spreads the word when ever they have the chance and I have to turn down TONS of jobs because of distance limitations). so do you have any experience with these mowers Richard?

onlythebest
11-21-2009, 05:44 PM
bump......

joed
11-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks

I'm from pretty much the same area as you. I've had a chance to try out the Ferris Hydro 32" and I wasn't too impressed. Yes it does cut well but some things I didn't like about it:
1. It's too long. If typical subarban lots in our area aren't heavily landscaped it's not too much of a problem but when they are, the machine is very cumbersome.
2. Thumb controls are pain over many lots since you're using your thumbs to hold it down.
3. Turning all day long over many lots gets to be quite tiring.

I decided to pass on getting a hydrocut 32" and just stay with my 21" units. Unless it's a corner lot, the 32" didn't save much time over the 21" for our typical subarban lots.

If its within your budget, I highly reccomend you look at getting the Wright 32" Stander. Terrific machine! Very compact and fast. You'll whip out those lawns in a hurry. Last I looked, they were about $6000 or so at most dealers in our city.

Hope this helps.

onlythebest
11-21-2009, 06:53 PM
yeah thanks, I've looked at the wright standers... also wasn't too impressed in the sense that the 32" models rutted up the dealers lawn on a mildly wet day like crazy. The lots i do range from 200sq.ft to around 5-6ksq.ft and i will still keep my 22" toro with me. the lots are not hilly or bumpy in most cases so i don't need a dual hydro or even steering with a belt drive. aside from length is there any other downsides to this mower? i have found one for $2000 up in Markham with around 100 hours, maintained well and not abused, i might go take a look tomorrow. if its in good condition and runs nicely i will most likely buy it. one thing i noticed in the pictures he sent me were 2 extra levers on the handles i didn't see on the others, he says it was bought new in may 09 so i don't see why it is different from the rest???
Thanks

ed2hess
11-21-2009, 09:58 PM
If you can go up to the 36" the snapper dual hydro might be close to
your range. The single hydro sure can wear you down if you use it a lot. Better off getting a good belt drive like maybe scag.

onlythebest
11-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi, i am only looking at mowers that will get through the 36" gates around here, 36" mower is JUST too big. I'm not worried about having to turn the mower as i don't do many lawns and its all flat, also was trying to stay away from the belt driven units since i do cut quite a bit of wet grass and don't want slipping.

modedicebox
11-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I have a 32 single hydro ferris, Running it for 4 years now. Its been a great mower and simple to maintain. I think its super easy to operate, stripes good, mulches great. Get an electric start.
Good Luck