PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Rid of bermuda Grass....?

Lost Pine
11-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Is there a application that I can use to get rid of Bermuda grass without affecting Fescue...?

david shumaker
11-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Turflon Ester is suppose to help control it.

cpa4t9r
11-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Turflon tankmixed with Acclaim Extra - 3 apps 1 mo apart in the summer/active growing months. Turflon w/Fusillade II (Ornamec) also works well - apps in spring and late summer.

I've done both and had success. Trials I've seen seem to indicate that Acclaim/Turflon mix can be more consistent - plus I can spot treat any other grassy weeds while I'm at it. Both mixes can produce control rates of 90%+ in trials I've seen, but really dependent on site conditions/variables.

ALC-GregH
12-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Turflon tankmixed with Acclaim Extra - 3 apps 1 mo apart in the summer/active growing months. Turflon w/Fusillade II (Ornamec) also works well - apps in spring and late summer.

I've done both and had success. Trials I've seen seem to indicate that Acclaim/Turflon mix can be more consistent - plus I can spot treat any other grassy weeds while I'm at it. Both mixes can produce control rates of 90%+ in trials I've seen, but really dependent on site conditions/variables.

Thanks for the info. I have a potential customer that inquired about getting rid of a area of Bermuda grass that is creeping it's way into the neighbor's lawn. I don't have a license to apply and want to know that my weed control guy is on the ball, if you will. I in no way will do any application work without a license, it just ain't going to happen. Last thing I need is a hefty fine to go along with all the other expenses in the business. I'll leave it to my go to fert and squirt guy that does all that part. Besides, he doesn't cut lawns, all he does is chemical application so we feed each other with potential work. It's a win win for both of us. :)

cpa4t9r
12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
If it is an area that is primarily bermuda - then glyphosphate it. Just make sure that it gets hit 3 times ~2-3 weeks apart while its actively growing. I've read where the kill percentage gets up to 90+% consistently/permanently vs. 1-2 apps. Of course, now you've got a dead spot during unfavorable conditions for cool-season grasses....but you should be able to sell some seed/fert. The selective route is more of a "control" but after a 2-3 year program, it's gone.

jspray
12-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Acclaim Extra plus triclopyr/2,4-D ester is the best with 2-3 applications in the summer. Triclopyr acts as accelerator agent with no actual herbicide effect.

greendoctor
12-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Partially true. Triclopyr is also an antidote for the phytotoxic effect of a "fop" herbicide on tolerant grasses. I had lots of problems applying fluzafop on zoysia for bermuda control until I tank mixed with Turflon Ester.

lawnspecialties
12-06-2009, 07:59 AM

Perfect advice. This is exactly NCSU's recommended "method of attack".

By the way, take the winter time to mark your bermuda spots in the yard. Since the bermuda goes dormant, it should be the only "white" grass in the fescue turf. If you don't have to spray the entire yard next summer, save your money.

jspray
12-06-2009, 09:41 PM
There is a problem with the Fusilade label and summer applications as July and August applications are not recommended.

Original question was about bermuda control in fescue which leads to Acclaim applications during summer.

This issue was covered by Dr. Fred Yelverton, NCSU Weed Scientist at a meeting this week.

Applications with Fusilade would have to be spring and fall.

lilmarvin4064
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Acclaim Extra plus triclopyr/2,4-D ester is the best with 2-3 applications in the summer. Triclopyr acts as accelerator agent with no actual herbicide effect.

I don’t think you would want to add the 2,4-D in the mix since it is antagonistic with the Acclaim.

Partially true. Triclopyr is also an antidote for the phytotoxic effect of a "fop" herbicide on tolerant grasses. I had lots of problems applying fluzafop on zoysia for bermuda control until I tank mixed with Turflon Ester.

Triclopyr also reduces the “bleaching” effect caused by mesotrione.

There is a problem with the Fusilade label and summer applications as July and August applications are not recommended.

Original question was about bermuda control in fescue which leads to Acclaim applications during summer.

This issue was covered by Dr. Fred Yelverton, NCSU Weed Scientist at a meeting this week.

Applications with Fusilade would have to be spring and fall.

I would agree, but I tried an experiment this year. I sprayed full rates of Ornamec + Turflon ester over a 80% bermuda / 20% fescue stand in August and did not see any signs of phyto’ on the fescue; granted I sprayed a couple days after a rain shower, in the evening, about 70 - 75 degrees. I noticed bermuda discoloration in 2 to 3 days, and total kill took about 3-4 weeks (not much rain).

lilmarvin4064
12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
after 3-4 weeks I noticed the fescue was still there!

alf500series
12-09-2009, 11:53 PM
dont have my app. license yet but with that said--has anybody used the spray from lowes/home depot that kills the bermuda??? i saw it the other day and wondered how well it worked.

greendoctor
12-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Turf is tolerant of many things if there is adequate soil moisture. That said, I will not touch a lawn not on an irrigation system I have control of. Most lawns have weed problems from either not enough water or too much water. Me attempting to effect fertility management and weed control while the homeowner keeps the irrigation the way it was when the whole mess started is like pushing on a rope.

greendoctor
12-10-2009, 01:30 AM
It is too bad st augustine cannot take triclopyr. Turflon + Tenacity would be the ultimate bermuda and crabgrass mix without the issues that come with using atrazine.

nik
12-10-2009, 01:05 PM
dont have my app. license yet but with that said--has anybody used the spray from lowes/home depot that kills the bermuda??? i saw it the other day and wondered how well it worked.

It'll work. But if your going to be using any kind of volume that's not the place to be buying. Unit prices for homeowner use products for the most part run much more than if you were to go to a pesticide retailer. Y

lilmarvin4064
12-10-2009, 04:10 PM

FYI, It doesn't matter where you buy it from, you'll still need a license to apply it, unless it's on your own lawn.

That said, If what you're talking about is the Bayer "Berumdagrass Killer" or whatever, it's probably the same thing as Acclaim, only a lot less concentrated. I have heard mixed results with it.

also, I don't think Lowes/Home depot sells Turflon ester, but they probably have some "Brushkiller" or something that contains triclopyr amine. Just make sure you are following label directions if you're going to try this out on your own lawn.

greendoctor
12-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Ortho does have a Clover Chickweed and Oxalis killer that is 8% triclopyr amine, with specific instructions for use on cool season and zoysia lawns only. I would imagine that product will hurt bermuda.

Lost Pine
12-30-2009, 04:24 PM

What is the exact name of the stuff from Lowes/Home Depot ...?